SBG's C3

Tank fits nice, should help with aero. How many gallons will the new tank hold? Did you make a pattern that you would share?

Thanks,

Rob

Tank fits nice, should help with aero. How many gallons will the new tank hold? Did you make a pattern that you would share?

Thanks,

Rob

23 gallon... reasonable cost - my dad owns a company that build equipment for commercial kitchens....

I'm sure I could provide those bits (unwelded) for $400 - welded for about twice that.

drawings... sure... will take a bit to collect

The tank is 38x15 (9" to 12" on the other side)

Last edited:
worked a bit tonight
reminder - filling in the blank
PA250004-2.jpg
PA270005.jpg
PA270006.jpg

I think I'll tack weld it in place, then fiberglass the holes and over the top.

The reason it's metal is I have devices to mount to the cover (fuel injection)

and the hood scoop came in

PA270001.jpg

I think I'm going to narrow it, straighten the sides, lengthen it and leave it on top - then build an air box to seal the underhood from the air cleaner....

I am all ears about that EFI!

whatcha wanna know?

I wanna know how awesome it is?

crossing my fingers that I'll get the install completed today.
to do list:
weld tank together with bungs
find a stainless inlet tube
install tank
install the pump
run lines to fuel pump
install heater box (still making)
install pressure regulator
wait for stainless lines from Summit (monday)

oh yeah, figure out how I'm going to connect the fuel intake tube to the tank.... remember the cool, new fuel inlet from sparco? not quite sure how I'm going to seal it to the tank as access will be gone once I install the tank.

yeah, that shouldn't take me more than 12 hours... piece of cake :skeptic:

Last edited:
what I actually got done
and work was done on the Corvette
finished here last night
PA270006.jpg
a bit of shaping this morning
PA280001.jpg
1st round of fiberglass
PA280002.jpg
2nd round
PA280006.jpg

worked on the tank drilled a few holes, added the pickup
PA280003.jpg
baffles
PA280004.jpg

I have yet to cut the filler hole, but here's the top
PA280005.jpg

More work
Where I finished last night... for the sharp eye'd folks you'll notice there is an extra fitting - it's 1/2" for "just in case" I need a 1/2" supply line....
PA280005.jpg
a fill inlet
PA290001.jpg
test fit the side... important note - do make sure when you have a piece with non-parallel sides that you put the correct end up
PA290002.jpg

no reason to mention that... though if you do, there's a reason why there's tiny tacks - makes it easier to knock apart

suddenly the tank was laying flat again... funny, that
PA290007.jpg
there it is, all finished by the brackets and the finishing (oh and the pressure test for leaks
PA290007.jpg
PA290009.jpg

and then worked on the heater box by cleaning up the edges
PA280006.jpg
test fit
PA290010.jpg
paint
PA290011.jpg
PA290010.jpg

Those welds are going to have to be superb to not leak. Ask me how i know. You'll end up coating the inside with that gas tank gunk.

Those welds are going to have to be superb to not leak. Ask me how i know. You'll end up coating the inside with that gas tank gunk.

I know this sounds arrogant, but it's not -
Nope, I won't have to coat it... this isn't my first, or even 50th gas tank.

Just as an aside, consider why I use stainless steel.... maybe because, if you keep it clean, it's easiest to weld?

Last edited:

I know this sounds arrogant, but it's not -
Nope, I won't have to coat it... this isn't my first, or even 50th gas tank.

Just as an aside, consider why I use stainless steel.... maybe because, if you keep it clean, it's easiest to weld?

Long time ago, my welder buddy built a gas tank for another friend's boat, he used diamond plate aluminum, it fed twin SBCs in a 28' Chris Craft....he never used any coatings either, it was a hell of a project, he had tons of bracing and baffling inside it, could stomp on it and not move....:shocking:

I built several tanks for some fake off-shore racers - but used stainless... I hate cleaning polish off diamond plate. Worked out well, I traded the tanks for a paint job on my boat - paint alone was 4k.... irony is the boat was a low-profile jet, so you'd see maybe 6" of freeboard and the deck

more work done on the fuel system.... I'm also no longer a stainless braided line noob...

PA300001.jpg

PA300002.jpg

PA300003.jpg

and yes, I'm going to neck down from 3/8" to 5/16" for the return line. Short of lifting the body off the frame, or running the fuel line through the interior, there isn't a safe way of running the line without using the old line.

no hanging sump - however, the square bit I put on the inside will prevent the fuel pickup from being uncovered

PA020002_zps160a490d.jpg

it's the bit to the left of the tank. I did consider wrapping that in foam, but, using my experience as guide, feel that will be sufficient.

As long as the fuel doesnt get heated up by the smaller return line, I would say its all good. If it does, build a bigger, badder engine that uses more fuel and returns less. Haha.

or always stay in the throttle :grin: "but officer, I was going too fast because I have too small of return line"

hmmm... I think that'd be a tough sell

hooked air hose to tank (regulated to 40 psi)
PA310001.jpg
found a few bubbles
PA310002.jpg

ready to test fit again
PA310003.jpg

found the build sheet - surprise surprise, my car is a stripper
PA310004.jpg

nice, bigger space
PA310005.jpg

and I forgot to take a picture of the tank basically in place.... I strapped it up and attached angles to the sides to hold it up.... I'm making an executive decision, I'm going to strap it in place....

ah well,
also got the shark's mouth on
PA310007.jpg
Bubba would be so proud... problem is the front isn't even close to fitting right.... ugh

a bit more done, but my knee screamed "uncle" so I'm sitting with ice on it rather than getting something accomplished
tank under the car, but I don't like it this way...so it probably will change (though the picture would look exactly the same).
PB010003.jpg

finished the tank
pre
PB010004.jpg

post - before it's completely done, I'll hit it with a flap wheel and blend the grain.... but it's not going to be beautiful, simply utilitarian.
PB010005.jpg

yeah, I suppose I should finish it to a nice #4 finish, but as rocks and everything else will be hitting it; I've chosen to go with the "easy to refinish" finish.

A question....

what if I fiberglass the tank gas cap cover in permanently, and mount the filler behind it on the deck? I don't like dragging fuel hoses over the back and getting it closer to the rear would help with that
PB010006.jpg

Or I suppose super-dorky
PB010007.jpg
leave the cap in place, and use it as access to the top of the tank....

thoughts?

Last edited: