Resume: need advice

VegasJen

Formerly Known as Clutchdust
So I think pretty much everybody knows my situation. It's never easy but changing jobs makes it really tricky. Here's the dilemma though. I'm putting my resume together and beginning the search for another job. Of course, my background is very mechanical/technical, as in hands on. I do have a pretty decent background as a manager/supervisor, which I am trying to focus on more. I would really like to try and find something a bit less hands on if possible but I don't really have any other skill set, and I need comparable pay to what I'm making now (of course, better pay would be... better).

Now all of my documentation, including my legal name, has been changed and all of my previous employers for the last 10-12 years know what's going on. But how would you suggest I list my actual work experience? I do have quite a bit more administrative type background as well but I just don't know if I'm going to get any supervisory type offers. Then there is the stigma of a female technician in mechanical fields. I'm thinking that can actually work both ways. Many places wouldn't even want to take a chance on a female in as a technician. But then I think that some bigger companies might like to be able to show off how diverse (read Affirmative Action) they are by employing a female in a typically male field.

Beyond the suggestions, I have my resume handy if anybody who hires would care to give it a quick read and comment.

FWIW, I actually look and sound the part. Most people who never knew me before wouldn't guess.

Beyond the dilemma of your situation, from reading your post, it sounds like you really would like to do the hands on work but feel that the opportunity is in manager/admin. I don't know how many times I have heard from hand-on people who were "promoted" to an administrative job and really dislike/miss their old job. Most companies have turned "management" into a checklist procedure. I think that drives people (who like to measure accomplishment by what the have actually done) crazy.

So, I think your primary goal ought to be, what makes you happy.

As an employment attorney - here's the suggestion. I think you're going about your resume all wrong. Find a job you want, the draft a resume that completely matches the requirements.

and/or

use Linked in to leverage your experience - it is so true these days, where you can knock on a door forever, the person who will get the job is the friend of the friend...

and finally, why I pointed out my occupation

if you submit responsive applications (that's the term for a crafted resume), and they don't hire you - you have opportunity (that I pray you don't do) to seek judicial redress. You make it easy for them to say "no" if your listed experience, skills, and training don't match.\

hope this helps. good luck!

Thanks. I do generally have two or three different resumes ready to go at any one time. All the same information, just some things are emphasized more than others. In this particular instance I just have on job I'm really interested in and then I will likely be posting on a couple of job sites so that makes it a bit harder to tailor.

superbuickguy has it right. your resume is best when its written for a particular job, and you tailor it to that job. you can add in all your other experience in the resume just make sure it addresses the key Knowledge/skills/abilities that the posting is looking for. good luck bob

Oh My God!
It's no wonder I hate "technology". It is the laziest shit that has ever been created. One thing that makes me hate technology so much is that almost everybody has gone to online applications, and then the websites suck. I just spent 45 minutes trying to fill out a job application only to get to the last page and getting an "error" message. No matter what I did I could not get the application to go through. So I wasted 45 minutes of my life fucking around with this garbage site and my only option was to just close the fucking window and lose all that time and information.
I fucking hate it. I fucking hate, hate, hate it.
I mean I really fucking hate it.

Oh My God!
It's no wonder I hate "technology". It is the laziest shit that has ever been created. One thing that makes me hate technology so much is that almost everybody has gone to online applications, and then the websites suck. I just spent 45 minutes trying to fill out a job application only to get to the last page and getting an "error" message. No matter what I did I could not get the application to go through. So I wasted 45 minutes of my life fucking around with this garbage site and my only option was to just close the fucking window and lose all that time and information.
I fucking hate it. I fucking hate, hate, hate it.
I mean I really fucking hate it.

My son's wife specializes in that shit, web design and debugging crap....she is about 30 and sharp as a tack, even quit Google, and has people chasing her for work they need done.....I think she is allied with some operation out in Berzerkly now, maybe just a desk and hookup, sounds like another operation needs help....:trumpet:

i was lucky, I did what I loved and enjoyed every minute . i can't add anything to the solid advice you have gotten already, except I wish you the very Best.