Refinishing rear leaf spring advice.

Maymyvetteliveforever

I've removed and was able to seperate the rear aftermarket 9 leaf metal spring and wire wheel every single leaf. Before I reassemble what would you suggest I should put between the springs after I POR 15 both sides?
The spring has only around 2000 miles on her but the car has been stored on blocks for over 20 years without being driven so a lot of rust built up in our Canadian climate. My choices would be, plastic, vynl or rubber, or.....just leave it metal to metal the way it was before.

I was thinking of using the vynl cove base cut to size, do you think that would work?

I've removed and was able to seperate the rear aftermarket 9 leaf metal spring and wire wheel every single leaf. Before I reassemble what would you suggest I should put between the springs after I POR 15 both sides?
The spring has only around 2000 miles on her but the car has been stored on blocks for over 20 years without being driven so a lot of rust built up in our Canadian climate. My choices would be, plastic, vynl or rubber, or.....just leave it metal to metal the way it was before.

I was thinking of using the vynl cove base cut to size, do you think that would work?

why not just put a glass spring in.

IMO, do what I did, put in a VBP plastic 360 lbs spring, and some Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners......ride is GREATLY improved....

:cool:

Doc Rebuild and Paragon (maybe some others) sell a new liner kit for the spring. I think it comes with instructions on the lengths to cut and installation. As I recall, it's pretty cheap.

why not just put a glass spring in.
My budget to get this car back on the road was $7,000. I'm already into for $10,000 in parts alone. Since the spring doesn't have many miles on er I have to draw the line on how much over budget I go. I just found out that the rear end is leaking when I removed the spring so I might as well go even more over budget for items I know I have to purchase. Does that make sense?
IMO, do what I did, put in a VBP plastic 360 lbs spring, and some Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners......ride is GREATLY improved....

:cool:
I would like to but as mentioned budget won't allow.
Doc Rebuild and Paragon (maybe some others) sell a new liner kit for the spring. I think it comes with instructions on the lengths to cut and installation. As I recall, it's pretty cheap.
I think it comes to around $40.00 for the whole kit, but since I live in Canada, when you add duty, exchange, customs, etc. I might as well make them for much less and I'll have in much less time. Or at least when I find the answer to my question.

when i bought my 7 leaf replacement spring it was only $120 shipped (in the US, not Canada).... it came with rubber between the leafs, seems to work fine.

You could simply buy 2-3mm heavy duty rubber sheets and put that between the leafs, use a razor blade or carpet knife to cut the excess off around the leafs after the spring is assembled.

One's I have are 9 leaf and I think they sell for $199. convert that to my door and it's about $300.00.

I checked Home Depot, Lowes etc for the rubber sheets and no luck, any idea where I could find them? Keep in mind I'm from Toronto Canada.

One's I have are 9 leaf and I think they sell for $199. convert that to my door and it's about $300.00.

I checked Home Depot, Lowes etc for the rubber sheets and no luck, any idea where I could find them? Keep in mind I'm from Toronto Canada.

Did you search for leaf spring re-arching in Toronto? If there is a local shop, they will most likely have the liners you need.

Well, at this point, since it really don't take a whole lot of time/effort to R&R that spring, I would just use that black vinyl/rubber cove base material from Lowes Depot, cut to size and see what happens over time....hell it's only maybe ten bux to do it, and kick the problem down the road...maybe forever?....

:cool::lol:

Did you search for leaf spring re-arching in Toronto? If there is a local shop, they will most likely have the liners you need.
Nope didn't try, may give it a try tomorrow. Thanks
Here ya go, even has a flange on it to keep it in place ($14.99):

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spring-Liners-with-Lip,2079.html
That's exactly what I need, The 2 1/4 is $16.99 but they don't ship to Canada. My luck huh?
Well, at this point, since it really don't take a whole lot of time/effort to R&R that spring, I would just use that black vinyl/rubber cove base material from Lowes Depot, cut to size and see what happens over time....hell it's only maybe ten bux to do it, and kick the problem down the road...maybe forever?....

:cool::lol:
That maybe my last resort but I do like the one that BBShark posted, to bad they weren't local.

The reason I mentioned they only ship to the States was based on this quote in the Shipping section, " U.S. orders only,"
Thanks MYBAD79