Rack and pinion - homemade Steeroids with GrandAm rack

Almost identical to the cut I made on mine, but I didn't bother adding/welding in any additional steel....

:D

Welding overhead sucks big time !!!!!

I dunno how my welder buddy does what he does on jobsites....pipe/steam/boilermaker union....crawl into a pipe about a inch wider than he is, and set there ALL DAY making many passes on the inside of a pipe, to fill what he calls a root, then weld all day long filling in on that, and then pass a X ray test....

gotta be freeking kidding me....NFW....easier to remodel a kitchen or solder a wire, or fix even a C6 vette...for an electronic problem....:harhar::crutches:

Put all that stuff that i removed on my scale: a whoopping 50lbs ....

photo_zps12cf1d58.jpg

Now the power steering rack is 14lbs, the manual rack is less, probably around 12 lbs

photo_zps74530f3b.jpg

The bracket I built for the rack is 11 lbs ....

photo_zps03e0471c.jpg

So afterall a good weight saving even if you add the ps pump for the power setup

I'm really going to need dimensions on that thing...

I'll post the templates and dimensions once I'm sure it all fits and works .... The most important one is the driver side bracket, it dictates the position of the rack.

I would be interested in these too. I've been buying parts that I find good deals on. I like the idea of the cross bar and that you can put a lot of it together before you put in the car. It might make a good spring project. Thanks for the thread. Very informative!!

I'll post the templates and dimensions once I'm sure it all fits and works .... The most important one is the driver side bracket, it dictates the position of the rack.

I would be interested in these too. I've been buying parts that I find good deals on. I like the idea of the cross bar and that you can put a lot of it together before you put in the car. It might make a good spring project. Thanks for the thread. Very informative!!

I'm going to post the dimensions and photos of the cardboard templates - stay tuned :D

A word of caution though: I believe I understand why Steeroids is using 3 U-joints..... It is masking variances in manufacturing their brackets and the frame .... with 3 joints the position of the rack isn't all THAT critical - if you want to get away with only two U-joints then it has to be spot on....

If you want it perfect then the final fit and weld has to be done with the stuff bolted to your specific frame.....

I can make another bracket - somebody willing to test fit it on his/her C3 ???

Another word of caution: this setup requires cutting the driver side engine mount.... this is to allow the steering shaft angle to be as smooth as possible and eliminate binding of the U-joints.....

I'm going to post the dimensions and photos of the cardboard templates - stay tuned :D

A word of caution though: I believe I understand why Steeroids is using 3 U-joints..... It is masking variances in manufacturing their brackets and the frame .... with 3 joints the position of the rack isn't all THAT critical - if you want to get away with only two U-joints then it has to be spot on....

If you want it perfect then the final fit and weld has to be done with the stuff bolted to your specific frame.....

Another word of caution: this setup requires cutting the driver side engine mount.... this is to allow the steering shaft angle to be as smooth as possible and eliminate binding of the U-joints.....

Beat you by some 12 years.......:lol::crutches::2nd:

I would be willing to test fit it!!!! Let me know what you need from me.

I'll make one more driver side bracket from the templates that I have, without using my frame for fitting it..... then I'll make a pass side bracket from my templates....
I am convinced these two parts will fit ant frame - the bolts on the driver side are 7/16 UNF, the holes in the bracket are 1/2" so that allows for some differences between the production frames.... on the pass side the bolts are 3/8" and I drill my holes 7/16" so that's plenty of clearance too....
Problem is the center brace - I weld it between the two brackets when they're bolted to the frame - that way it's a perfect fit ( at least to my frame) .... now if there was somebody local who's willing to remove the entire stock steering system just to see how these parts fit that would be great....LOL...shipping this stuff is not cheap (due to size, not weight)

If you used the 3 joints would you need to cut the driver side engine mount ?

NO, but one of the intermediate shafts needs a support to keep it in line....kind of a PITA....

NO, but one of the intermediate shafts needs a support to keep it in line....kind of a PITA....

More of a PITA than cutting the engine mount? Would there be any other reasons not to use the 3 joint? ..more slop or play?

More of a PITA than cutting the engine mount? Would there be any other reasons not to use the 3 joint? ..more slop or play?

Oh, I dunno, just remember cutting my crescent outta the mount really easy with a hole saw in my 1/2" drill....as I recall it was a 3" saw....honestly I did not know of the existence of the heim joints at the time, or the application of same for supporting the shaft, I did this all outta junkyard I pull it parts, so used what I found, had to make up my own U joints from many joints I pulled apart....most of the joint pieces came from Lumina mini vans I forget where the shaft came from....I did this on my own, winter 01-02 along with other extensive mods.....:drink:

Three joints require a support on the steering shaft to keep it all aligned. The third joint would sit right by the header so clearance can be an issue. A third joint has no advantage really other than you could call it a true 'bolt on' ... And these joints are $75 each so not really cheap ....

Less is more .... I really like the clutter-less and clean stuff , no pump , no lines, no reservoir .... Just simple .... Same for the U-joints, two joints are enough and a much cleaner install

Ok, here are the templates for the parts, the cross beam is 1" tubing and in my case 28" with a little meat for final fitting once the other two pieces are bolted yo the frame ....

photo_zps273ddf6d.jpg

On the driver side the 1" square tubing piece is 3/4" offset towards the driver side ...

Last edited:
Karsten, having a hrd time reaing the dimensions on the photo. Can you email a higher res original to me?

Do I sense a CAD drawing?

BBShark - going to do a CAD and plasma set up? ;)
Sounds like a sweet idea. Anyone have access to FEA for comparing in steel and Aluminum? Just wondering if there could be further weight reduction.

Cheers - from the sidelines - Jim

Sooo....two questions. First, how much of a difference/benefit do you feel between the rack conversion and a well functioning stock system. Is it worth the conversion now that you've done it? I've completely gone through my stock system and it doesn't leak, and there isn't any real play in the system, but I've not driven a C3 with R&P steering. And, I wonder if this will fit on a BBC conversion. I was watching Gunter's work and was interested, but I really don't want to bang the crap out of my headers to get room for the steering shaft, especially if there isn't that much difference.