Plastic Fantastic 2

frame extensions built
3IUNydgh.jpg
I don't have the dies (punch) to bend these up from one piece... so welding it is
M0iFR4Wh.jpg
fitting time...
4FpeKBuh.jpg
Dc65pKSh.jpg

it's here I realize I can hit the easy button and use the air intake and an indy spoiler ....
xaq00MIh.jpg
of course, that means it's a month before the stuff arrives....
also waiting for the parts I order 2 weeks ago from Summit... crossing fingers that they can deliver in the rain tomorrow....
RbgJIF6h.jpg

waiting for other parts as well, but hopefully tomorrow I can start finishing up on the cooling system.

13 days and finally it arrived (not all of it, mind you, but the USPS and UPS stuff)....

I have SEMA and Finnegan. They both get me to spend way too much money on somethings.... with that said, this is pretty cool.
It's a brushless motor fan. Why cool? (heh, pun) the fan soft starts and isn't either off or on - it can run at 50% or whatever you want it to run....
N7QsJ3gh.jpg
this plus my electric water pump and I can truly cool the car while waiting. I'll add more battery capacity, but this, I think, will really help.
kVSQ08jh.jpg
yes going back to one, larger fan
CFCkISeh.jpg
Fittings, however, haven't arrived completely... so waiting

still don't have the parts from Jegs, but no matter
plumbing parts work
5oMTXvPh.jpg
cut out a piece of aluminum and bent it so I had a place to mount the remote reservoir
49bCjm8h.jpg
the head drop isn't a lot but hopefully with a few bleeders and the electric water pump - I can get the system air-free
NU1tm7Jh.jpg

story time with FedUp.

To bring us up to speed, FedUp did a 20 mph driveby on Saturday - all while pressing the 'recipient rejected' button on their handheld.*

According to FedUp, they saved me having to file a claim when they drove by my house. That I didn't reject it, rather, the package was damaged. When asked if they planned to add that 'reason' for the driver, their answer was "it's already there"

alrighty then.

So here it is, lesson learned. In talking to Jegs for the 4th time this morning, I found out that if I call my order in that they can send via UPS for the same price. That would be call-in Monday through Friday between 9 am and 5 pm eastern time.

That said, Summit needs the same thing - after all, unless you call in your order, they'll send it from Georgia just because the AI told them to - but if you call your order in, then you won't have a problem (yeah, right)

It's a brave new world, folks.

*out of professional courtesy, I wonder at what FedUp did on the truck to my house to damage 3 AN fittings... after all, it had to be on the truck rather then somewhere on the route because they would have 'caught' it before the 2 week late delivery.... ah, the mysteries of life.

I always call my orders in to Summit. I have the parts delivered to Phoenix. They almost always come from Reno, and occasionally Texas. I usually get them the next day or the day after. From Texas it takes 3-4 days. Special order parts like the Gorilla lug nuts I recently ordered took a week. Always come UPS and I've never had an issue. Guess I just get lucky.

I always call my orders in to Summit. I have the parts delivered to Phoenix. They almost always come from Reno, and occasionally Texas. I usually get them the next day or the day after. From Texas it takes 3-4 days. Special order parts like the Gorilla lug nuts I recently ordered took a week. Always come UPS and I've never had an issue. Guess I just get lucky.

I'm still puzzling over the explanation for the Georgia sourced parts. I've had plenty of times where one of the further warehouses had the part (usually Texas) and honestly, I don't care where they send it from - if I need it, I'll pay the expedite - but they told me all the parts were in Reno but the "computer" decided it needed to come from Georgia. Had I known, I would have split the order to the 'must ship by ground' paint products and the AN pieces.

but still, since when did people start thinking that AI provides absolution for failing to do a job properly? Even in your case, it was after the order-taker that the computer took the wheel and drove it into a ditch.....

for the record, it didn't show today

Vette night
but first... this thing is 60s vintage and still works fine. Sure, it could use seals but a hammer gets it done.... if only other things were as reliable.
9o4jJ2Ph.jpg
this actually is related.... soon, I need to make the shop at least 70 degrees to paint.... the trailer which hauls that wood had a flat
HUl7gpnh.jpg
onto real stuff
put the rubber edge protector on the fan
GroI4pyh.jpg
test fit
sFZGAQbh.jpg
the space needing filling
TSeuGTAh.jpg
when the space is too much, filler
aBaSg65h.jpg
and filled
g2IsQKwh.jpg
and finished.... or just started...
lQkYQieh.jpg

Jegs is dead to me. It took them 2 weeks plus to get the parts to me and what tears it is this - I paid for 2 day shipping; when they realized last Thursday that the parts weren't going to arrive - they sent this in their slowest method. F**k you Jegs. At some point, it no longer is a problem with FedUp but instead with the seller.
tdSSEC5h.jpg

onto more fun stuff....
welding and finishing
first grind leftovers off
3Rxj3b9h.jpg
then wire-wheel
eUeoldfh.jpg
finish the exposed corners
0oI794Oh.jpg
then go to the bumper brackets and mig the flat seam
R0CiT2Eh.jpg
then tig the corners
G1QpllQh.jpg
then grind smooth
DiKltzvh.jpg
and repeat
a292GGNh.jpg

that fabrication looks great. A guy on the MGA forum is using a blended MIG wire I think its Brass silicone or something like that so the MIG turns into a big spooled brazing machine. he uses that for fixing pin holes and brazing sheet metal pieces together that is too thin.

I have only ever used steel wire and if the metal is too thin to weld i just cut it out and replace it with fresh stuff. have you ever used any different wire like that in your fabrication?

that fabrication looks great. A guy on the MGA forum is using a blended MIG wire I think its Brass silicone or something like that so the MIG turns into a big spooled brazing machine. he uses that for fixing pin holes and brazing sheet metal pieces together that is too thin.

I have only ever used steel wire and if the metal is too thin to weld i just cut it out and replace it with fresh stuff. have you ever used any different wire like that in your fabrication?
depending on the situation, I use silicone bronze fill rod with the mig. Usually, though, I'm doing it because the metal is so contaminated that the SB keeps the weld cooler and that lowers the chance of it blowing through.... with that said, there are examples of the ways I fill.
on long, straight bits, I'll sometimes use a backing strip
Wtfw4HMh.jpg
basically using the holes as extra-sized spot welds
nU7w4m2h.jpg
or
I use 3/16 copper as a backer
LiDOXMhh.jpg
If I cannot get behind it, my first option is weld a piece of metal to the part I'm using as the fill piece (there's 2 pieces of metal here)
WqiSzaVh.jpg
makes for a quick job
KHcQSrqh.jpg

the only time I change the material in my mig from 70s is when I'm either welding stainless or cast iron (both use the same stainless wire)

very nice, thanks, i often use the copper backing plate and also the backing flange.

i may try a spool of that bronze silicone for shits and grins

very nice, thanks, i often use the copper backing plate and also the backing flange.

i may try a spool of that bronze silicone for shits and grins
it would be interesting to try. the other issue with silicone bronze is it's fairly brittle - though a joy to grind, it's softer then steel and it has a bronze look (similar to what something brazed looks like)

(Though not related to your effort...)
I've had a spool and spool gun for a long time.
Never even considered using it - until now.
Oh boy more online research required!
And, yeah, another bottle of Gas...

Thanks Guys! (y)

Cheers - Jim

Prelude... I may get to this tomorrow but think I'll spend more time on the Blazer...

3NANbc4.jpg
1hJ2h4dh.jpg

I need to put a couple blind nuts for the air intake but before I do much I'll get it permanently installed with the bumper brackets. I'm also waiting for parts to build a cross brace - and want to install that while I still have lots of room....

(Though not related to your effort...)
I've had a spool and spool gun for a long time.
Never even considered using it - until now.
Oh boy more online research required!
And, yeah, another bottle of Gas...

Thanks Guys! (y)

Cheers - Jim
I sent my spool gun to Bolivia to my friend doing medical evacs... I've not yet found a time when I miss it. It's as easy to weld aluminum with tig as it is with a mig...
with that said, I can't imagine that the SB would need the short run like aluminum wire does... that said, if you've already got it... by all means, try it out.

fun aside, was listening to Richard Rawlings (Gas Monkey) talking about what is hot these days... widebody cars... to remind, I got the flares in 2013... I remember it well because I was, at the time, jonesing about IMSA Monzas