Plastic Fantastic 2

As we all know, I LOVE wiring. Read that again. That is a lie. So what do I buy at SEMA? more wiring
fF28pTxh.jpg
this isn't complaining, just explaining. I run by myself - no tire temp checkers, no pit crew, it's me. And at SEMA, I saw something that I think will be the utter cat's pjs for me. It gives me 120 degrees of temperature (real time). so with one sensor, I can monitor brake temp and tire temps. But wait, there's more. It also monitors tire pressure.
8hUo4wih.jpg
I really think it will be a game changer for me.
display screen it also blue-tooth connects to apple or android.
baYUkW3h.jpg
basically, it mounts above the wheel (on the inside, vertically) and gives me a reading across 120 degrees. Did I mention that it also tells me how far the suspension is traveling?
not cheap but invaluable for someone like me.
anBW6Pyh.jpg
and yes, I thought a bit about sharing - why help competitors? well, here's the reason, I like the Australians who make this. I want them to win (small, son and dad business)....

so I'll wire a bit more. And mount it so that I can move it between cars... the tire pressure monitors screw onto the air fill.... which means I could use it on my 4x4 too

took awhile to realize why I couldn't find the paperwork on this.... I stole it from the Fiat
7eKAiEgh.jpg
and things are getting serious
sQfqjkkh.jpg
how does one enjoy wiring?
8lxuAP4h.jpg
gFqq1PEh.jpg

Good on 'YA Mate! I'm not far enough along. Although I prodded Shaun about a Black Friday/Cyber Sale. He said more details when they get home he'd sort it out.
Should be today/tomorrow. before they'll be ready to do any good. I've made that 24 hour sortie both ways for nearly 20 years. It is a drag - even in first class!

Are those turtles the aluminum (alloy) versions? I assume the Black Ones are ptfe or? No doubt you had a chat with them at purchase. Drop me a note if anything to share.

Cheers - Jim

they're aluminum. About my only 'concern' is the caps.... I should have asked for the internal sensors for the TPS.
there is competition for their product but it costs 3x more, has much less angle of coverage, and is missing features.
Shaun is in Canada visiting relatives - told him to wave as he flew over, pretty sure he didn't ;)

love wiring....
j0vDeeIh.jpg
I feel like this is an accomplishment because I spent quality time trying to figure out what goes where.... may still have it wrong, but I feel good about it
9cIWiiXh.jpg

To get the larger radiator in, I need to remove this piece
PHj4o77h.jpg
it was useful for the original build, but I'm going to move where it lands and add to the area in front so I can install tow hooks
J9fdvZbh.jpg
amazing how much there is on my list.... but getting there
WGavKpZh.jpg
a reminder to call FiTech tomorrow. Apparently, this one won't work (so I was told)... replacement is supposed to be free - so hopefully I can put done on the throttle
usP38oLh.jpg
about the hardest part of this was soldering stuff together - most was pretty much plug and play but not this time... 4 into 1 wiring
qV19whXh.jpg
fine wiring... done
eRyG2Rkh.jpg

I don't get it, it's like I do wiring and everything blows up. I have a short in the shop, working on the welder on the '40, doing the Corvette, and the Blazer is just one large wiring project itself.... then this went down
GWZ7EAhh.jpg
bit of solder and it was fixed but those high impedance air gaps will get your every time

wow that looks great and is certainly a lot of wires to keep straight. i am not sure i could follow it all
it's a lot but it's not the worst - the worst will be the 50 sedanet. I know it's weird that wiring harnesses for twin turbo, port injected, crank fired 430 Buicks isn't an off-the-shelf.... but alas, it's not. But, this gives you a glimpse of the steps I'm taking to be successful when I get to the penultimate car.

oooo shiny baubles. I like shiny things
jAbje1W.jpg
remove the old
dzruv0vh.jpg
seal some bolts
PeqGOvOh.jpg
spray some sealant
rp4H3GXh.jpg
and install
GlFdDw7h.jpg
the disaster that was the space behind the manifold is starting to look better
veuq77t.jpg
not perfect, but closer
3LvOo5Fh.jpg
talking to FiTech and holley - they suggested just doing deadhead runs to the rails. I can't do it. too many air locks on diesels so with a couple 45 degree fittings and some tube
DoGV2JOh.jpg
and the cross over is built
4ST54yR.jpg
radiator still fits, bonus
8rkVk5Uh.jpg

the next step is more wiring work - I'm going to move the 2nd fuse block and relay block. Apparently, someone thought the red strip on the back of the motor was how I wired.... so I'll make it go away and add a box where they can be assured it was done right then and now. That said, I hate the individual fuse holders - they were there for convenience, time for them to go

Might need to check the alternator output curve. Especially when it gets hot.
I've the same electric water pump installed and am starting to add up the alternator requirements.
I hope it helps the overheating challenge. I was worried about the same thing.

I believe the trade off in HP loss from fans and pumps (water, power steering, brakes, etc..) to alternator is almost a wash.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
Might need to check the alternator output curve. Especially when it gets hot.
I've the same electric water pump installed and am starting to add up the alternator requirements.
I hope it helps the overheating challenge. I was worried about the same thing.

I believe the trade off in HP loss from fans and pumps (water, power steering, brakes, etc..) to alternator is almost a wash.

Cheers - Jim
will do. at full song, the fuel pump, water pump, and fans alone take 51 amps (not starting amps, running amps). I'm considering getting a brushless Spal fan which would reduce that number by 12 and allow use of a ramp up feature in the Terminator X.

and I'm doing this for the flexibility to run cooling with the motor off - and to that effort, I'll add a second battery (if necessary). I'm hoping the 1/3 increase in cooling from the larger radiator is enough but that's plan d (or whatever letter I'm on now). According to my calculations, I can run the fans/pump for 1 1/2 hours and still start the car with what I have now.... but remember how much I dislike electrical work? I suspect my own calculations.

it's a lot but it's not the worst - the worst will be the 50 sedanet. I know it's weird that wiring harnesses for twin turbo, port injected, crank fired 430 Buicks isn't an off-the-shelf.... but alas, it's not. But, this gives you a glimpse of the steps I'm taking to be successful when I get to the penultimate car.
now you are just teasing me.

wiring continued.... pictures but not sure they show much
Holley recommends that if you have a dual terminal battery that you use the 'other' terminals for the EFI computer... at SEMA, there were all sorts of vehicles using these.. so I'll find out what their downside is... great
nu6T4p0h.jpg
QmgNNgLh.jpg
I'm going to put a bookmark here about FiTech. ONLY because they sponsor this page am I not going to unload - but I'm going to put paid on them and it should this latest thing play worse. The nutshell is they sent the wrong throttle bracket... .twice.... and the attitude of them is not sustainable.
QRIFwgfh.jpg
8nB35KWh.jpg
fuel pressure sensor in place.... fun fact, the 'adapters' needed to be rethreaded with a 1/8 NPT tap to make it work
SRon6Tth.jpg
in fun news, new toy
OkAdrqLh.jpg
wanted one for awhile but they were $300 or a lot more... this was less than $170 delivered.
BYmIbGEh.jpg
computer fastened in place, just need to attach the power wire... 'just'
2IITWVSh.jpg
and then figure out the outputs. That means fan controls and which one runs the tach...
also waiting on a new relay box

and then a new core support and complete that frame mod that started awhile ago... one bite at a time

Cut - Crimp - or both>
okadrqlh-jpg.56193

2nd image the camera went Biden on me.
If a wire crimper I've been using a hydraulic press, works good and have dies for every size I need.
64044_W3.jpg

Looking for some cutting dies.

Cheers - Jim

did I ever mention I hate wiring?
7xp7MSKh.jpg
case in point, I had to trace and find a wire so I have a tachometer signal. Then forgot I needed to have 2 wires connected
QqKcdjeh.jpg
I may now weld with brass often, but its welding rod works great for fishing wires
UahIp6dh.jpg
need to add another bank of relays and fuses...
GmCoLJph.jpg

what's left?
power the water pump
radiator system and fans
brackets for PS pump and alternator
oil pressure sender
solve the MAP sensor dilemma... probably just a wiring choice but it needs to be done.

why don't I recommend FiTech....

well

FiTech, putting the Cuss in cusstomer service

I wasn't gonna but I'm going to drive over FiTech with my bus and continue to do so until they're dead of a subsidiary of Holley.

To recap. Throttle cable bracket doesn't fit.
gvXQTavh.jpg

according to a sales guy at SEMA - they gave me the wrong bracket. Seems easy enough, send me the right bracket - but nope. I get Becky, Head of Warranty at FiTech (who admits to knowing nothing about cars) who seems to think sending me the wrong part somehow absolves FiTech.
So these pictures came after this email

I spoke with our QC manager and sales, they have confirmed the throttle cable bracket you received is the correct bracket ,as it is the same one used for our Ultra Ram and LS system. you should have a copy of these instructions, but If you would like to verify this yourself I have included a link to the ultra ram instructions below, you can view the part and part number on page 8.

https://fitechefi.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/38301_38302_-Ultra-Ram-Instructions.pdf
Best wished on the rest of your install.

Oh but Becky (which isn't the name on her signature).
Look at your figure 27. The correct bracket is pictured in it. That is not the same as the picture on page 6 (or the picture I sent you of the original bracket.
pay close attention to the 90* angle on the bracket - it's 45* on figure 27.

oops... page 8

but wait, it just gets better

email header

My name is Stephanie, which you are well aware of. I'm actually trying to get this resolved for you, even though I am not involved in the technical side of our product and have never been trained on this end of our product. My position here is purely clerical.

If you don't want my assistance, I can ask someone else to contact you instead.

email continues

By yelling at me for having the audacity to question you - and hanging up on me.*

I'm not sure we use the same dictionary because "help" means listening to the customer. Getting defensive when you're utterly wrong and out of your depth is not within the traditional definition of help.

I already asked to talk to your manager.

And this does beg the question of why you're the messenger for the QC manager.

Aaron.

*And where Becky came from - it was the word you used to name yourself. That was right before I said "so why does your signature say Stephanie?" which was right after you proclaimed you were your own manager.

so more pictures of this bracket which fits
no
A42DhyUh.jpg
nope
IMFPrzmh.jpg
still nope
waYfk8Lh.jpg
maybe other side.... nope
UtTe0QCh.jpg

What's fun in all of this is this.... I couldn't care less if they send me the right one but at this point Becky has annoyed me and I'm bored.

or as my dad used to say

At some point, when you wrestle with a pig in mud, you'll realized that one of you is enjoying it.

keep firmly in mind that this is not the first, second, third or even 4th time that I've had trouble with FiTech so I was using the Harbor Freight rule - if it needs to do something, buy something else.... Anvils, great, electronics, no. But here FiTech is winning by proving they can't even build a sheet metal intake with f***ing up.

the fix - fitech makes a bracket that's 45 degrees to the throttle body ... problem - it may hit the hood... but so all of this may be moot.... but then again, screwing with Becky has become something of a sport....

but then again, screwing with Becky has become something of a sport....

heheheh get a kiss?
I think they have re-defined customer (dis) service.

Counting down the days for the Cyber release of the "Turtles."

Cheers - Jim

heheheh get a kiss?
I think they have re-defined customer (dis) service.

Counting down the days for the Cyber release of the "Turtles."

Cheers - Jim
I'm pretty sure she has other attributes that make her of value to the management. Usually, though, they put those in HR.

December 28. That's the day Optima Challenge opens registration. If I'm driving the Corvette, I'll register for next year. If not, I'll take a year to get some more seat time and make this thing reliable. cross your fingers.