Painting Time? Tru Flex

be careful, not sure where you got the info but I looked at Evercoat's website , below is a screenshot.... says for "non SMC"

215306548496951.jpg

That 8115 sets in like 30 minutes, you have plenty time to move the parts into the correct position. I used self tapping screws when I installed my flares.... I used a few clamps too.....

I do all my filling with epoxy mixed with different thinkener.
-Ceramic microbead for fine finish.
-Fiberglass "fumes" (that's how they call it at the shop) for thicker/studier filling.
That way I shouldn't have to worry about compatibility, AFAIK epoxy is the type O negative of adhesives for vette body panels.

I used the 3m 08115 adhesive. Put them together tonight and all looks good. Now what should I use to blend the seam lines? Grind out and lay kitty hair and resin?

Last edited:
I used the 3m 08115 adhesive. Put them together tonight and all looks good. Now what should I use to blend the seam lines? Grind out and lay kitty hair and resin?
grind a groove 1" wide on each side.
It should go significantly deep into fiberglass and have a mild slope.
Line each side of the groove with painter tape.
Fill the gap with mat piece and resin, then grind down back to painter tape level.

Edit: check my resto thread, from post 327 and on , I'm doing my body seams.

Last edited:
Here is the can of vette panel adhesive I have. Says on can excellent for SMC and fiberglass filler.VettePanelAdhesive870can_zps327b84ee.jpg

VettePanelAdhesive870_zps8d0cabb5.jpg

be careful, not sure where you got the info but I looked at Evercoat's website , below is a screenshot.... says for "non SMC"

215306548496951.jpg

That 8115 sets in like 30 minutes, you have plenty time to move the parts into the correct position. I used self tapping screws when I installed my flares.... I used a few clamps too.....

I "think" the difference between the two Evercoat cans is that your label says that it's for "light duty" and "non structural" repairs....

The 8115 is definitely the better choice - that stuff is great !!!!

I would use the Evercoat as a filler.

I "think" the difference between the two Evercoat cans is that your label says that it's for "light duty" and "non structural" repairs....

The 8115 is definitely the better choice - that stuff is great !!!!

I would use the Evercoat as a filler.

8115 is as tough if not tougher than weld, BMW use it to assemble body panel.
I think it was you fellow Belgian Vetter that had a bad suprise painting over it.
8115 remain kinda soft and react to heat (get softer on hot sunny days), so it should be topped with some kind of harder filler before paint.

8115 is as tough if not tougher than weld, BMW use it to assemble body panel.
I think it was you fellow Belgian Vetter that had a bad suprise painting over it.
8115 remain kinda soft and react to heat (get softer on hot sunny days), so it should be topped with some kind of harder filler before paint.

Yes, you cannot apply primer or paint over the adhesive. Filler (resin/mat) goes over adhesive, then primer on top of filler.... some of this stuff dripped on my concrete driveway, needed a chisel and a hammer to get it off....

:lol:

Looking good, if you left a gap and applied the 8115 before tightening the bolts it will be as strong as if it was one piece.... That glue is amazing.....

Now when it's cured grind the exposed glue off, maybe 1/2" each direction from the seam, fill with evercoat filler/adhesive... Mix a few fiberglass hairs into the filler.....grind again, topcoat with body filler.... Sand, prime ... Going to look great !!!

Getting closer on the bumpers. Have added a couple layers of short strand fiberglass and getting the right curves. Need to drill out for tail lights and add a stiffner in for the rear bumper cover. These covers are rock solid to the body.
CorvetteFiberglassBumperbondednose_zpsdadbfa9b.jpg
CorvetteFiberglassBumperRearbonded2_zpsb87a86cf.jpg

I am over my head

Well got to the point in the project that I am over my head with the final forming and filling of the body. Find myself adding filler then sanding off the wrong places so time for a professional to take over. Still staying with Cyber Gray. Should have it back from the paint shop in 2-3 weeks. CorvetteonTrailerleavingforpaint_zps4b577ef4.jpg

Takes some ballz to admit you're over your head...... :thumbs::thumbs:

I had that feeling a few times when I prepped my '79 for paint back in 2006 .... I wanted to take it to a shop but I kept saying that I'm not going to pay them THAT much $$$$$ ..... After three quotes at $5000-$7000 I bought a compressor, a paint-gun and a book...... Lol...

Maybe paint the next one. Body Shop has the feather fill poly sprayed on and should be blocking and prepping for primer this week.

Vette in Poly

Few pictures of the body before primer. Most of the highs and lows have been repaired. Still a few small area's to fix then ready for primer this week.
Corvette1978PassengerRearSideinPoly_zps4aec251b.jpg
Corvette1978PassengerSideFrontinPoly_zpse403f2df.jpg

Finally in the paint booth

Doors pulled today and started painting the door jams and final sand on doors. Lots of work went into getting all the lines and edges correct. Going with Tungsten Gray Metallic paint. CorvettePaintprimer1_zps3191dc73.jpg