Painting Time? Tru Flex

Looking good so far, door jambs are a little time consuming with all the tight spots behind the fender...
Just curious: what's the car behind the vette ?

Contach? Fiero Kit car. One of the guys I share the hanger with is into these big time.
Down the bare glass now. Patching up front fender and looks like the car took a hit on the passenger side but was repaired correctly.

All the paint and primer has been removed. Finished the last T top yesterday and started to patch the front fender. Car had damage on front drivers front fender and at one time had been repaired for crash on passenger side.CorvettePaintDriversSidePatch2_zps3a819bc1.jpg

Tru Flex not close to fitting.

Finally getting around to fitting the tru flex bumper. Thought I would tackle the front first. Its not even close to fitting. Called the company and they suggested I cut it in half and fit the corners then rebond the middle. Since my vette was previously wrecked on right front corner maybe the fender line was not reshaped correct but it doesn't line up very well on the driver side either. Its seems to be about 1/2 to 5/8 inch to wide. I drilled a few mounting holes and installed a bout 1/2 the fastners and got it close but not enough. Think I will try and send this bumper cover back or sell and get a real fiberglass bumper cover.
Since I purchased the covers several months ago and drilled mounting holes chances of returning are slim.CorvetteTruFlexfrontbumper_zpsb646980f.jpg

Originally I was looking at the Harley Gun Metal and this is pretty close. I wanted the darker gray not silver. I think its a new color for the C7. http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280128
I've been contemplating this color for my vette too.
Is it commercially available?
I heard it uses a brand new pigment only made in Japan and they were out of stock not so long ago.
I was under the impression GM would keep it a C7 exclusivity, but it's just an impression.

Originally I was looking at the Harley Gun Metal and this is pretty close. I wanted the darker gray not silver. I think its a new color for the C7. http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280128
I heard it uses a brand new pigment only made in Japan and they were out of stock not so long ago.
I was under the impression GM would keep it a C7 exclusivity, but it's just an impression.

Pretty much any color can be matched, just take one part in that color to the paint shop and they should be able to match it. I did however notice that a gallon of PPG DBC basecoat that is usually 300-400 dollars is now $800 on Ebay because it's a C7 color......

Finally getting around to fitting the tru flex bumper. Thought I would tackle the front first. Its not even close to fitting. Called the company and they suggested I cut it in half and fit the corners then rebond the middle. Since my vette was previously wrecked on right front corner maybe the fender line was not reshaped correct but it doesn't line up very well on the driver side either. Its seems to be about 1/2 to 5/8 inch to wide. I drilled a few mounting holes and installed a bout 1/2 the fastners and got it close but not enough. Think I will try and send this bumper cover back or sell and get a real fiberglass bumper cover.

So they said you need to cut a brand new bumper to make it fit? I'd be pissed and I'd probably call my credit card company and refuse payment.... :smash:

1/4" is somewhat acceptable but 1/2"-5/8" is just ridiculous.....

On the "good news" side: fiberglass can easily be fixed ...

Pretty much any color can be matched, just take one part in that color to the paint shop and they should be able to match it. I did however notice that a gallon of PPG DBC basecoat that is usually 300-400 dollars is now $800 on Ebay because it's a C7 color......
FIY the pigment I was referring to is Xirallic, it's supposed to give a distinct shine.
May explain the higher pricetag.

So they said you need to cut a brand new bumper to make it fit? I'd be pissed and I'd probably call my credit card company and refuse payment.... :smash:

1/4" is somewhat acceptable but 1/2"-5/8" is just ridiculous.....

On the "good news" side: fiberglass can easily be fixed ...

I'm glad I am not the only one who had this reaction. I'd have had a fit if I was told to cut a new bumper in half to make it fit.

Fiberglass bumpers covers from ACI

Good customer service from ACI. Shipped the same day I ordered. Picked up the new fiberglass bumper covers Monday. Much better fit than tru flex. Still have some fitting but at least the middle and corners line up. I purchased the 5 piece set of retainers as I had to cut the old urethane cover with Sawzall.etteFiberglassBumperCoverPassengerSide_zpsbc505877.jpg
CorvetteFiberglassBumperCoverFrontView_zpsec33f0ba.jpg

Now that's what it's supposed to look like..... good fit.... are you going to glue and glass them to the front (seamless) ??

seamless bumpers

Really leaning towards seamless. I really like the clean look and can't wrap my mind around how there could be a visble seam down the road, if I grind them out and fill with resin and glass mat.

Really leaning towards seamless. I really like the clean look and can't wrap my mind around how there could be a visble seam down the road, if I grind them out and fill with resin and glass mat.

Hit both mating surfaces with 60 or 80 grit, apply some 3M 8115 or 8116, bolt up the bumper cover.... Let the glue cure, grind a nice v-shape right into the seam, fill with resin and mat... There will never be a visible seam ever again :thumbs:

Panel Adhesive for bumper attachment

Would this be a good application for Evercoat Panel Adhesive #870. Have some of this product on hand.

Would this be a good application for Evercoat Panel Adhesive #870. Have some of this product on hand.

No. Evercoat Adhesive 994 is for SmC, google evercoat smc adhesive, think it was 994 or 944 , wit 944 is a Porsche......lol

Seriously: the evercoat vette panel adhesive clearly says "for non-smc material" , means fiberglass.... Your bumper is fiberglass but the fenders and nose is smc if original late 70's

I have used the Evercoat smc adhesive - awesome stuff .... Used it to glue the rear flares to the smc quarters, been 8 years, no issues.....

Evercoat 870 says on can for "SMC and Fiberglass, bonding and filler". Challenge for me is it sets up pretty quick and I being a rookie need more time to make sure all fastners and clamps are in place and its lined up. Decided to use the 08115 two part from 3M for the glue area.
I have it dry fit and the center and corners line up very well.

No. Evercoat Adhesive 994 is for SmC, google evercoat smc adhesive, think it was 994 or 944 , wit 944 is a Porsche......lol

Seriously: the evercoat vette panel adhesive clearly says "for non-smc material" , means fiberglass.... Your bumper is fiberglass but the fenders and nose is smc if original late 70's

I have used the Evercoat smc adhesive - awesome stuff .... Used it to glue the rear flares to the smc quarters, been 8 years, no issues.....