Old Project Revitalized - 56 Track Car

Heat Shield R.jpgI like your heat shield. Is that aluminum wrapped tunnel shield?

attachment.php

I like your heat shield. Is that aluminum wrapped tunnel shield?

attachment.php

Thanks. It is formed .050" aluminum with a layer of DEI form-a-shield over it. The form-a-shield is supposed to be good to 1400 degrees of direct contact. The black heat shield on the firewall is DEI floor-and-tunnel shield which is adhesive backed.

Spindle R.jpgSpeedTech machined a new set of spindles (uprights) out of 7075 aluminum that would accommodate the large Howe ball joint studs and the C7 bearing. I will have to modify the base of the 1/2" studs a little to clear the larger C7 bearing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Spindle.jpg
    Spindle.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 46
Plumbing 5 R.jpg

Well, this is as far back as I could get the motor - I ran into the roll cage dash bar, the windshield, and my right foot. LOL The purpose of this photo is to discuss air filters. This is as big a filter as I could fit - WIX Racing 16X4" that they claim flows 1000+ cfm. Their 3" tall filter is also advertised to flow over 1000+ cfm, so there is no way to tell what the 4" filter is actually capable of. I had to use a shallow drop filter base because of the linkage from the throttle drive motor to the throttle body. Because the system is now drive-by-wire with a remote drive motor, you should not use a throttle cable because of chances of having a error between the drive motor throttle position sensor and the one on the throttle body - the ECU doesn't like that. I will seal the filter base to an air box on the bottom of the hood that draws ram air from duct work above the radiator and ultimately from the grill opening. I ordered the last of my plumbing from Brown and Miller, so I am getting very close to firing this thing up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Plumbing 5.jpg
    Plumbing 5.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 42
Looks nice. I'd like to do a "poor man's" version of this with a c3, an Ohio Crankshaft alum 540, a gforce 4 speed, and of course much poorer workmanship ( mine that is). :) We will see what happens.

I've been having firewall issues and have just now been able to look at the progress pics. That is some amazing eye candy! You do some really amazing work. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Finishing up the seat install - built by TKO Motorsports in Reno, NV. The mounting base is an aluminum piece that I modified from one TKO makes for an Audi R8. Seat TKO 4.jpgSeat Install.jpgBrakes Pedals.jpg

Pappy -

Very cool bearing surface for the sub-belts. You come up with that? Or - TKO pan?
Better than many of the of-the shelf "spec" solutions - just a slot in the seat pan.

Cheers - Jim

Pappy -

Very cool bearing surface for the sub-belts. You come up with that? Or - TKO pan?
Better than many of the of-the shelf "spec" solutions - just a slot in the seat pan.

Cheers - Jim
Thanks Jim. My design. If you notice the cut-out in the floor pan, there is another recessed eye bolt attached to the frame in the center that I can use for a center crotch strap so I can go 5-point, 6-point, or 7-point like the new Simpson belt.

Pappy -
Excellent. Will incorporate in my seat too.
But, I'll see the Simpson 7 and raise it to a Team-Tech 8 point. Been using one on the SR, and it fits like a 'chute harness. Across your lumbar then down to the buckle. Also up through thighs/crotch--in addition to the anti-sub. A bit awkward at first, but solid. Wish they made as FIA and not just SFI. Picture8.png

Pappy -
Excellent. Will incorporate in my seat too.
But, I'll see the Simpson 7 and raise it to a Team-Tech 8 point. Been using one on the SR, and it fits like a 'chute harness. Across your lumbar then down to the buckle. Also up through thighs/crotch--in addition to the anti-sub. A bit awkward at first, but solid. Wish they made as FIA and not just SFI. View attachment 53324
When you tell me you added ankle straps I'll think you are having a senior moment and have gone back to your F-4 days. LOL BTW, the crotch straps in my photo are Team Tech - the harness out of my Viper. I saw that Team Tech has a 7-point harness available like the Simpson. The one thing I like about the Simpson is that the lap belt adjustors are on top of the thighs, vice down at the side of the seat where they are hard to get to. I don't believe the Simpson 7-point is FIA certified either. Just FYI, something that is not visible, the 1" square bar that guides the crotch straps on my seat pan has a split 3/4" tube wrapped and welded around the bottom of the bar to keep from having a sharp edge that would wear the straps - if that makes sense.

love the pedal solution - when I do the next C3.....
Thanks. Here is a photo of the pivoting master cylinders on the other side of the firewall. Time for plumbing - they need flexible lines in and out since the cylinders move slightly when you depress the pedals.

Brakes Master Cylinders.jpg

Finished up all the heat shields to protect the fuel cell, my ass, and other critical components from exhaust heat. Added 7 pounds, but probably worth it. Used mostly DEI Form-a-shield.

Heat Shield 12.jpgHeat Shield 11.jpgHeat Shield 10.jpgHeat Shield 9.jpgHeat Shield 8.jpg

Reactions: rtj
I am so impressed with your component packaging/design. That has been the most difficult thing for me and I am building a relatively stock car.

Great pix too!

I find that to be one of the hardest things, making everything look as good as you do, and you make it look so easy

Susp 15.jpgSusp 5.jpgSusp 14.jpgSusp 16.jpgSusp 11.jpg
  1. Update. Making final suspension adjustments. JRI shocks, AP brakes, Detroit Speed multi-link rear suspension. Soft spring, big bar, lots of caster with front suspension on bump stops at full compression. I suspect there will be a lot of adjusting to do on track!

Reactions: rtj
Everything is so well thought out, it's very much like looking at the component packaging on a fighter jet. Especially with all the heat shielding. Very well done and work quality for us all to aspire to. Thanks for the update.