Oil Catch Can

SmokinBBC

I've been thinking about this for a while...checked many reasons for and against for a non-turbo application....basically an inline pcv system filter. The main reason was some oil loss and detonation. Oil has no antiknock characteristics and I wanted to keep the pcv air flow (Ie...no crank case venting to the outside air).

Engine runs great...except for some pinging at excelleration at part throttle cruise when vacuum advance is fully deployed. I run 34mech at 3000rpm... 12 initial. The vacuum is another 15. When I retarded it to get rid of the pinging, I lost performance.

It loses about a pint of oil every 3k or so. Not bad at all....but where is it going. I run 10/30 full sythetic on a full roller BB engine. I don't have any signs of ring problems or oil pressure issues. I run the stock PVC recommended for a BB. Valve covers are baffled with drippers.

So I found a "universal" billet, dual chamber baffled catch can. Mainly designed for a turbo application. It wasn't cheap...but then again I wanted something that would do the best job, mount in a good place and look like it belongs. The best fit that I found was at an online mustang speed shop.

I ran it for 30 or so miles....both hard excelleration and cruise....no pinging...it has a lot of power, so any seat of the pants gains would be hard to feel. Could this finally solve the problem...we'll see after I put a lot more miles on it. Look at the oil in the can...shit, that was going into my intake! My pcv system is definitely sucking up oil.

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

I fabbed up an aluminum mounting bracket. Mounts in the passenger side head with a spacer to move it back from the intake. The fan/air flow will keep the can cooler. Surface temp on the can was 140 degrees...cool enough.

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

Last edited:
Smokin'

Very Nice! Can you tell me more on how you have this plumbed? It looks like an elbow (instead of a PCV), coming out of the passenger side VC, and going to what looks like manifold vacuum. If so, where do you have the PCV valve located? I can't see the driver side VC if there is a filter, or where the line coming off the catch can goes. Thanks.

Thanks.

The hose going to the can from the valve cover is the PCV hose driver's side valve cover. The hose is formed like an elbow at the PCV side. The hose from the catch can is going to the PCV port on the front of the Qjet. Basically, I put the can inline the stock PCV hose.

The elbow that you see is the vent hose going from the Air cleaner to the passenger valve cover. Or you may be looking at the water pump bypass hose (under the can)....has nothing to do with this.

Last edited:
Trash the vacuum solenoid. Bypass it, and put it in your NCRS box.

I have two observations about PCV oiling problems over the years....

Old Pontiac engines had separate lifter valley covers that were baffled for oil control, many holes in the lower/bottom plate....and the PCV valve in the top cover typically just behind the thermostat....they never sucked oil, never,

went SBC with the vettes, and that valve cover placement was a serious PIA, baffles, what ever, always a wet dripping hose....

then some years ago, I put a highly modified LT1 induction on my L98 engine....

it has the PCV valve in the side above a drip/splash pan on the bottom of most all intakes.....and NO oiling problems, none....I do run a typical hose from one valve cover to above the throttle blades, and the other valve cover is wide open in that spot....

I"m convinced there is simply way too much misting in the valve cover areas, and the large lower splash guards are somehow much more effective as eliminating the oiling.....

:thumbs:

That's a pretty little unit. I have a catch can on hand for the LS1 because I've heard they can be a mess. Judging by my intake, I'm inclined to agree.

I like the bracket you made :thumbs:

Trash the vacuum solenoid. Bypass it, and put it in your NCRS box.

It's just a matter of disconnecting the wire. It only blocks advance in 1st, 2and start-up after the head reach's about 70 degrees(idle). I ran without it quite a while...put it back when I was trying to figure out my ignition/timing problem(discovered that the brass dizzy gear was just about gone). I'll go back to full manifold vac shortly.

I"m convinced there is simply way too much misting in the valve cover areas, and the large lower splash guards are somehow much more effective as eliminating the oiling.....

:thumbs:

That I agree with...I have baffles and drippers. Still a problem. I am going to go up a size in PCV valve (larger pintle) and see if that reduces the amount of oil sucking.

That's a pretty little unit. I have a catch can on hand for the LS1 because I've heard they can be a mess. Judging by my intake, I'm inclined to agree.

I like the bracket you made :thumbs:

I normally would bubba a bracket out of steel straps and bolts.

I tried my hand at 6061 aluminum plate....that stuff is easy to work with.