No wonder my defroster never worked worth siht..

JPhil

Huh?
Jeez Louise
I saw it on disassembly but now I'm putting the underdash ductwork back together (heater core replacement & A/C delete) and I can't friggin believe it....
The defroster duct has 1/8" to 1/4" gaps both top & bottom. At the connection to the distribution box and at the bottom of the dash pad.
The under dash area must have been nice & warm---too bad the rest of the car (like the windshield & cabin!!!) didn't get the benifit of circulating warm air.
Good thing I have a selection of foam rubber & spray adhesive....
But at this point, it's time to take a break, let it work itself over in my mind for a couple days.....

jeesh.....:hissyfit:

Hey, it'll be better when I'm finally done with this nightmare.

(You young guys better take care of this kind of siht now, before you got arthritis & bifocals :rolleyes:)

Those ducts originally had soft foam seals closing up the gaps. They typically fell apart when the car was less than 10 years old. On top of that, the ducts are too big for proper air flow. Installing a C4 fan and sectioning the air box to really let it work will get air moving through those ducts, but it's a fair bit of work.

Jeez Louise
I saw it on disassembly but now I'm putting the underdash ductwork back together (heater core replacement & A/C delete) and I can't friggin believe it....
The defroster duct has 1/8" to 1/4" gaps both top & bottom. At the connection to the distribution box and at the bottom of the dash pad.
The under dash area must have been nice & warm---too bad the rest of the car (like the windshield & cabin!!!) didn't get the benifit of circulating warm air.
Good thing I have a selection of foam rubber & spray adhesive....
But at this point, it's time to take a break, let it work itself over in my mind for a couple days.....

jeesh.....:hissyfit:

Hey, it'll be better when I'm finally done with this nightmare.

(You young guys better take care of this kind of siht now, before you got arthritis & bifocals :rolleyes:)

John, when I had the dash out I saw that, and used foil tape, like on hard ducts. Too big a gap for anything else. Can't see it, so what.

Ah, foil tape--of course!
Yup, that's why I stop when I get tired....I was all ready to fabricate a sleeve out of rubber gasket material & foam.....

John, when I had the dash out I saw that, and used foil tape, like on hard ducts. Too big a gap for anything else. Can't see it, so what.

I did the same thing with mine; friggen gap where the defroster duct mounts to the main box was 1/4" wide. I formed some aluminum flashing and taped the whole mess together with aluminum tape.

Now if I ever get this damn car together and actually on the road I'll let you know how that works. :rofl: