New member from Texas

Red77

Howdy gang, new to the board, but not to my Vette. I've got a '77 model that I bought back in 1994 as my first car. Worked on it off and on for a few years, then as the story usually goes, life happens. I went back to school, got married, had kids, etc. Fast forward to today and my son is starting to get interested in the car so it is time to dust off the cobwebs and get back into it.

I'll start with lurking through the related threads and probably pop up from time to time with questions. I'm pretty handy so time and $$ will be the biggest challenges with getting the beast up and running again. In the meantime I look forward to getting to know you and your Corvettes. :)

Welcome to the motley crew....

It's fun showing kids WTF is with cars, and such realities of life, and what makes thing work.....

GOOD that they know that stuff.....if nothing in car field, it MAY get their brains working toward tech/hard science/engineering ....

PIX are welcome, and I have to say the collective knowledge here is greater than most any other forum....

:drink::drink:

The last time I took pics was long before I had a digital camera, so I'll have to get cracking. My original plans gave changed for this car as one's desires for how a car should be through teens and early 20's changes greatly when you think about your own child getting behind the wheel. The big block currently between the fenders will be getting mothballed and a 350 will be going back in. I'm thinking a simple Vortec 350 rebuild with a mild cam. Something simple that he'll be able to learn on without getting in too far over his head. I used to turn wrenches for a living, so it's simple for me to understand but somehow teaching your own kid is always more difficult than teaching someone else. I may need pointers on that as well...

Thanks for the kind words. I'll get some pics as soon as I can get it cleaned up enough to get it out of the garage. Not pretty, or even close to original, but projects rarely are.

I have a 350 in my Corvette that follows what you propose. It's a smog 4 bolt bottom end (cast pistons), Jeg's Vortec heads (higher lift potential), GM performance intake, Thumpr cam (the 2nd from the bottom of the list), and headers.

I'll post a link to a video of it running here tomorrow - I'm amazed at the motor, it runs well, sounds awesome, has okay vacuum (important for headlights and brakes).... but what surprises me about this motor is how strong it pulls. Currently I have Turbo 350 trans with a 2400 stall, and this thing pulls a lot harder then I expected.

It had a 350 when I first bought it with some ported cast iron heads (not matching numbers, not even matching castings from side to side!!!), Comp 280 Magnum cam, Comp roller tipped rockers, Performer intake, long tube headers, and what looked like a truck or Oldsmobile style Quadrajet with the fuel line that shoots into the front of the carb instead of the side like on most Vette applications I've seen. The shoddy work by the previous owner saw to it that the car didn't run for very long and my lack of skills and more is better mentality meant that the car got torn apart to "make it better and faster".

Famous last words. :surrender:

The 280 magnum did sound good though. I was thinking of the new L79 cam that Comp has. Nice specs, but a little larger LSA so maybe more vacuum. Even with the tight LSA on the 280, I still had enough vacuum for my headlights and brakes, but it never hurts to keep it on the safe side. I've surfed Youtube a bit for some Comp Cams L79 nostalgia sound clips and it sounds good, but not too nasty. I've got a big block for nastiness in another project down the road...

Welcome to Vettemod!
It's a great place to catch a good case of "While-I'm-At-Its," and real solutions along the way.
Cheers - Jim

I'm in College Station, not too far from Texas World Speedway. Never had my car on the track though... :-(