New In Wall Timer Problem.

Maymyvetteliveforever

When I first installed a GE 15086 in wall timer as per instructions and turned the power back on the 60 watt bulb I have hooked up flashed like a strobe light. It flashed on and off about 3 times per second when on timer mode.

I then rewired it as per the instructions I found online while doing a search and now it sort of works. The problem I have now is the 60 watt incandescent bulb turns on for a split second then turns off. Or it will not turn on at all, or it will turn on fine and stay on. It's almost as if there isn't enough power to get it going. It's rated for 40w to 500w and is cfl ready. Any thoughts? It would appear I'm not the only one with this problem based on online help forums but I haven't been able to find a solution yet. It's almost as if I don't have a solid ground even though the switch as well as wire going to the light is grounded to the box.

The power comes into the box, white it marretted together and black is wired to the switch then continues to the light.

20.jpg

IF you have it wired like the pix shown, either one of two things....the timer is defective OR it will NOT handle a CFL bulb...try a regular old bulb to see what happens....

those timers have a Triac in there, an electronic switch, which IMO is stupid design....and they don't go well with other electronic shit like CFL bulbs....maybe even not with the new LED type bulbs....

:surrender:

Thanks for the reply mrvette, the GE 15086 does allow for a cfl but I have a 60w incandescent hooked up to it for testing purposes. The timer is rated from 40W to 500w. I went to Home Depot and replaced the timer only to have the same problem.

To test the unit you can try to feed it with a temporary 3 wire extension cord preferrably from another circuit.
I know these things are sensitive to properly wired circuits (might want to test it) and I have seen some that could get a prize.

On the other hand, anything from Homey Depot is questionable. :smash:

On the other hand, anything from Homey Depot is questionable. :smash:
If it's a Homey Depot name brand I would agree but I could have purchased the General Electric Model # 15086 digital in wall timer from Gerry Electric and it would have given the same results. Home Depot in this case is only the middle man (dealer).

You have a VMeter, check between you 'hot' wire,between both ground and white wires...you should have 120+-vac on that.....

you have tried TWO of the timers, you sure the timer is wired correctly between it's input and output?? looks right to ME, but never account for China....

I notice a red tape/shrink wrap around that 'hot' wire....why?? wonder if there is something under that tape not supposed to be there..??

then to take a normal incandescent bulb and jumper it right at the timer there....that way we can prove that all works....first white to hot...bulb lights...then white to timer output....bulb better work with timer, if not, you got a bad timer....ASSuming it is indeed wired right....

it's gotta work, china or not...too damn simple a thing NOT to....

:twitch::smash::surrender::eek::hissyfit:

Make sure the black wire is your hot wire and the white is neutral. Put your meter on the black and the other probe on a ground. Many times I have seen the white wire used as the hot wire. It all sounds like the power is going backwards threw a diode on your new switch. Also make sure you have a good ground.

Ray