My '76 restoration (long post)

There is an outfit in California that has some ready made parts similar. I've asked for details on size and materials - haven't heard back yet. Expect might be ABS.

Looks nice - may fill your requirement. But your design is sharp!

Cheers - Jim
Thanks Jim.
I'm not gonna lie, I looked extensively to find and easy way out off-the-shelves solution, the simpler would have been going with a C7 hood vent insert.
I even looked if anyone was making hood vent blade profile by the foot, without success.

Thanks Jim.
I'm not gonna lie, I looked extensively to find and easy way out off-the-shelves solution, the simpler would have been going with a C7 hood vent insert.
I even looked if anyone was making hood vent blade profile by the foot, without success.

Just got a note back from John <trackspecmotorsports AT gmail.com> The louvers are aluminum, and then powdercoated. He seemed amenable to "working" with me, and I've sent him my dimensions, as my hood opening is bigger than what they do for C5 & C6 Track Cars. I bet they Plasma or water-jet the louvers and frames, so should be "do-able." I'm crossing my fingers for a reasonable quote. They do have C5&6 louvers but nothing on their site for C7.

Cheers - Jim

Yet another side project brought back from the dead.
After a 6 months relocation process my buddy Guy is back at his shop.
It's much smaller, but it forced him to dump a lot of machines he almost never used. Now it's back to the basics.

80-guyshop_zpsgnodsp2a_1a9dfa9569965f9de41efe12446cedd4ff8d39f9.jpg

And as the shop is up and running, he could finally start machining the hollow taillight housing.

80-hollow_20taillight_209_zpst7odaxb3_a53dce5c8a6e26289753b1aa1c53ed8cd276cd3d.jpg

The plastic tabs are insurances I can pop the led out.

80-hollow_20taillight_208_zps2fhzb62j_398efdd5907bbc5c175276e83d946f82fdfecad7.jpg

What we've learned so far :
-They heavy in that shape, we will have to do some trimming.
-The concavity could be further exaggerated, we willl.

The plastic tabs are insurances I can pop the led out.

80-hollow_20taillight_208_zps2fhzb62j_398efdd5907bbc5c175276e83d946f82fdfecad7.jpg

What we've learned so far :
-They heavy in that shape, we will have to do some trimming.
-The concavity could be further exaggerated, we willl.

Nice machine work, but on the weight issue, did you ever consider various cut sections of PVC pipe....??? chop and glue together with cement.....:flash:

Gene - that is an interesting idea. I suppose you're thinking of nesting PVC End Caps after cut down? Hmmm Clever thinking there.

Denis - Nice machining your buddy did though. Very nice.

Cheers - Jim

Nice machine work, but on the weight issue, did you ever consider various cut sections of PVC pipe....??? chop and glue together with cement.....:flash:
Not sure about the pipes, mostly because the led ring diameters dictate everything, and I doubt we could find a perfect fit for the three of them.
If I had to go the "plastic" way that would be by making a mold and casting epoxy resin. But in that case I have to setup a proper vaccum chamber, because every time I tried the result was "bubbly" at best :crap:

Gene - that is an interesting idea. I suppose you're thinking of nesting PVC End Caps after cut down? Hmmm Clever thinking there.

Denis - Nice machining your buddy did though. Very nice.

Cheers - Jim
Thanks guys, I'll transmit the compliments to Guy.
He's having a kick at doing those just as big as I have.
Final version will be more polished and led walls should be ground to almost a blade edge. And as say before, a deeper dish.

I haven't posted lighting test pictures because they never do justice. Believe me, they're bright.

Yeh, no lie, surely they much brighter than any mere bulb.....I got an LED bulb for my 2 battery Maglight.... holy cats man, think it was a headlight by comparison......

and I got disappointed in that I ordered some Red LED replacements for 1157 bulbs those dual filament lights in the rear, but the way they were made, they won't fit the damn sockets, they too short on the metal base..but I did manage to force fit on the front turn signal/yellow just for test, and jeebus man....see them from backside of the MOON......so for now, they set on the desk, as I contemplate the next attempt....:crutches:

Yeh, no lie, surely they much brighter than any mere bulb.....I got an LED bulb for my 2 battery Maglight.... holy cats man, think it was a headlight by comparison......

and I got disappointed in that I ordered some Red LED replacements for 1157 bulbs those dual filament lights in the rear, but the way they were made, they won't fit the damn sockets, they too short on the metal base..but I did manage to force fit on the front turn signal/yellow just for test, and jeebus man....see them from backside of the MOON......so for now, they set on the desk, as I contemplate the next attempt....:crutches:
Maybe you can do like I did, resoldering the led bulb onto an original socket. I posted about that.

Moving forward with the hood :

First I set up my mind on the opening :
80-scoop5_zpsdckpn0or_cca7eabb5d9411e57934359fd6673c934baf59f3.jpg

I didn't want to have to cast each individual blade.
So I took the hood opening shape into 3DS Max and figured out its projection at the angle of the vent blades.

From the projection I made a mold:

80-scoop6_zpsf3mduhy1_5f9e0c5a6e5f110b6537921a91a532b9f51ee7d2.jpg

Made of intertwined design foam board.
80-scoop7_zpsqnbtnbym_60f1247f90913ce1af1ed65bc9de5ebe82dcb8cd.jpg

I wrapped it in plasting wrap, and cast this :
80-scoop9_zpszzkw7ukw_58c9cf9c4b56d475c9ee3c67e672e231b106080c.jpg

I already cut some, see the angle?
80-scoop8_zpsu1t48dxu_f1bb70f7ac238d31bc68715cd0d76dea6a6042b4.jpg

That gives this :

80-scoop10_zpsirpjprqd_c0170fe6cba3dc2b91bc9e75a762f97044d14940.jpg

80-scoop11_zpsswruqutb_0a79a16e2ae494cf9ed60bbb6725cae0f7d325c0.jpg

Denis -
NICE! You've inspired me to go outside and start on my door jambs!
Ain't Fiberglass Fun?!
Cheers - Jim
BTW - no words back on the west-coast Louvers - I may go your route and build out of 'glass too.

Denis -
NICE! You've inspired me to go outside and start on my door jambs!
Ain't Fiberglass Fun?!
Cheers - Jim
BTW - no words back on the west-coast Louvers - I may go your route and build out of 'glass too.
I'm flattered this inspires you, thank you Sir.
I'd lie if I'd say I didn't get a kick out of you ongoing mad build.

Sure thing glassing is fun since you go past the itchiness.:twitch:

I went fiberglass for the vents because I wanted some really Gaudi design, because in the end it's going to cost me a lot of time.

We were a the machine shop this afternoon to make the final version of the taillights.

80-hollow_20taillight_2010_zpssho5uxba_5d8a9b95a0e735205ce388061ceda1656dbeb907.jpg

80-hollow_20taillight_2011_zpsyfpwflpe_ad25356e69e238fa9b902f3da02147990598ea38.jpg

When cutting the slight angle off the walls, a vibration created little grooves that match the led groove, I'm going to leave them and see how to react with the lights.

Maybe a little "Tool Chatter" - May add more reflectivity - or soften the light from the LED rings. Looking forward to your posting some "illuminated" pics!

Here's a preview of what the hood scoop will be courtesy of the magic of hot glue.

80-scoop13_zpsd2ejuobt_89237af398a126156ba1dca012df2d04b5921ed3.jpg

80-scoop14_zps8yeot2yq_744156aeb09987bfba224fab9fda3a4e36e4104c.jpg

80-scoop12_zpst5wb5y2i_76c43ebcc1c5e42b623550a1e361dfbc5a80a469.jpg

And yeah, I make the fin to short *facepalm*
No biggie, nothing fiberglass can't fix.

Here's a preview of what the hood scoop will be courtesy of the magic of hot glue.

80-scoop13_zpsd2ejuobt_89237af398a126156ba1dca012df2d04b5921ed3.jpg

80-scoop14_zps8yeot2yq_744156aeb09987bfba224fab9fda3a4e36e4104c.jpg

80-scoop12_zpst5wb5y2i_76c43ebcc1c5e42b623550a1e361dfbc5a80a469.jpg

And yeah, I make the fin to short *facepalm*
No biggie, nothing fiberglass can't fix.

Looks awesome. Will any of this work interfere with any engine components? Once finished, when looking down through the fins, what will you see? Something nice, or something ugly?

Looks awesome. Will any of this work interfere with any engine components? Once finished, when looking down through the fins, what will you see? Something nice, or something ugly?
Thanks Phil.
No, interferences, the opening it right above the accessories and the spreader bar, right between the engine and the radiator.
From the opening you should first see the hexagonal grid I'm gonna put under the vents. If you got good eyes you could probably see the profile of the radiator and the fan.

Denpo, that hood is freeking beautiful......that is going to be the bees' knees.....

great concept......when you get it done, what is your location, I want to steal it......:drink:

Denpo, that hood is freeking beautiful......that is going to be the bees' knees.....

great concept......when you get it done, what is your location, I want to steal it......:drink:
Thanks Gene, I got to admit I'm surprised myself by how good this turns our considering I took almost no measurements.
The main trick was to transfert the shape of the opening onto some board and then carefully hot glue each fins upside down onto the shape.
Once I got the perfect alignement I could glass them together.
Now I'm gonna remove the scoop and glass in the fins.
This is big deal for me, I'm reach the summit of the lastest mod now I'm on the easy path down to the end of the custom madness.
Paint booth in sight *finger crossed*

What is your damn address, I stealing that bitch and paint it for MY car.....

U got no say over it.......:club::hunter:

Sears, you got a NICE project there, supremely jealous.....

:bump: