More exhaust

SuperBuickGuy

I'll not hijack the other exhaust thread because I want something a bit different... but here it goes
At the risk of Chad thinking this is dumb, I've got another question about exhaust.
I like the sidepipes, no, I LOVE the sidepipes on my Corvette and I'll not be shut of them. However, there's a choice - either quiet, restrictive inserts, or "I can hear you a mile away" dynomax inserts.... there's got to be a midpoint

No one, that I've found, has cut apart a Chambered Hooker insert - until now. I haven't decided what I'm going to do... so that's going to be the question.... Dynomax inserts are merely cherry bombs - same design, just a funnel into the insert on either end to prevent exhaust from going around the insert and to lower rattles.

OTH - chambered Hooker inserts are roundly criticized (rightly) for killing HP, you'll see why they do that in a second. That said, they are quiet - like turbo muffler quiet... too quiet IMO, but if I ever want my wife to ride with me in my Corvette - I need to do something about the 100 db noise..... In short, I want my cake and eat it too. I should be able to devise some way of lowering the restriction while still maintaining quiet.... perhaps something like the C6 Corvette's baffles that open?

anyway... pictures
IMG_20130516_171819_693-Copy_zps4713118c.jpg
IMG_20130516_171819_693_zps82148b04.jpg
IMG_20130516_175505_045_zps49956277.jpg
IMG_20130516_175516_349_zpsdc14da82.jpg
IMG_20130516_175526_511_zps30f5e283.jpg
if you're wondering when I'll show you the restriction... all exhaust has to flow through this wrap
IMG_20130516_175535_948_zps186faaab.jpg
IMG_20130516_175604_448_zps181978b0.jpg
IMG_20130516_175937_955_zpsc587f49d.jpg

so what to do? spring-loaded baffle? build a bypass valve?

I like the idea of a bypass valve - but the question becomes how to do it.....

I hear of a leg burning issue with aftermarket side pipes.....

but aside from all that, I have never understood the issue of just bending the pipes 90* to the muffler up front, then 90 down the sides, and get over it already....couple of Maggy flows....done deal, way I see it....

sure the bends are sharp, but maybe mod the headers a bit???

Mine are out the back, I"m lazy....

:zzz:

Have you looked into Supertrapps? Seems to me their mufflers could be incorporated into a sidepipe setup, and they are easily tuneable for sound & performance. I ran them on my last couple bikes: On the pan-shovel they were the best performing muffler I ever ran while also being very reasonably quiet. On my Evo bike, they didn't seem to perform quite as well as tapered straight through mufflers. On both bikes, I ran the dirt bike megaphone style mufflers with as many plates as I could fit on the rods on home-made equal length individual pipes with reversion dams at the heads, rather than the store-bought Supertrapp headers. But they might still be a viable set up for you. Just a thought....

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/auto/index.asp

Have you looked into Supertrapps? Seems to me their mufflers could be incorporated into a sidepipe setup, and they are easily tuneable for sound & performance. I ran them on my last couple bikes: On the pan-shovel they were the best performing muffler I ever ran while also being very reasonably quiet. On my Evo bike, they didn't seem to perform quite as well as tapered straight through mufflers. On both bikes, I ran the dirt bike megaphone style mufflers with as many plates as I could fit on the rods on home-made equal length individual pipes with reversion dams at the heads, rather than the store-bought Supertrapp headers. But they might still be a viable set up for you. Just a thought....

yes, I have... the issue, to me, is I want to be able to change the db on the fly, all while preserving the side pipe look (with the large exhaust outlet)
something like this

mtANVYY1Uuzxh5u5zTm6ONg.jpg

that would allow the exhaust to pass straight through the center of the muffler on demand.... assembly would be a PITA however, then you'd have straight pipes when you want it, and muffled when the gendarmes demand it

yes, I have... the issue, to me, is I want to be able to change the db on the fly, all while preserving the side pipe look (with the large exhaust outlet)
something like this

that would allow the exhaust to pass straight through the center of the muffler on demand.... assembly would be a PITA however, then you'd have straight pipes when you want it, and muffled when the gendarmes demand it

:shocking: modern version of dash operated cut outs....a guy back in skool daze used something much simpler, water pipe welded to the tubes back up at the engine, unscrew the cap off the water pipe, and scare HELL outta all the cows in the fields......:gurney::1st:

something like this

:shocking: modern version of dash operated cut outs....a guy back in skool daze used something much simpler, water pipe welded to the tubes back up at the engine, unscrew the cap off the water pipe, and scare HELL outta all the cows in the fields......:gurney::1st:

welcome to the 21st century - we want our cake AND to eat it too :beer:

something like this

welcome to the 21st century - we want our cake AND to eat it too :beer:

Yup, Pineapple downside up cake, with a cherry on top center.....:1st::beer: I bet I got more electronics in my vette than you do in yours.....:shocking::pprrtt:

I've always wondered about using either a crossover pipe and/or a pre-muffler volume to take some of the edge off the side pipe sound/noise. Ought to be a little quieter without any hp loss.

Real mufflers under the floor pan, with electric gate bypass to side pipes. The gases must always flow through the side pipes, or at your choice additionally through the quiet mufflers. This also allows you to have side pipes with a 'cherry bomb' style absorbent wrap around a perforated pipe run straight through, no baffles.

my sidepipes are primarily for the "look", to me it's not too important if I have 415 or 430 Hp.... :D

I have tried several mufflers, the Sweet Thunder inserts are a little louder than the Maxflows that I have now. I welded some perforated tubing to both sides of the insert in an attempt to extend the muffler and quiet it a little down, it got quiter but not a whole lot.

that electric cutout is nice but with sidepipes a difficult install, maybe place the cutout before the muffler and let it exit downwards right after the header?? I'd say one on the passenger side is enough, on the driver side it might be painful.

I've always wondered about using either a crossover pipe and/or a pre-muffler volume to take some of the edge off the side pipe sound/noise. Ought to be a little quieter without any hp loss.

I looked at that, I think the issue would be crushing it on every speed bump because it'd hang under the frame at about 6" back from the front edge of the door

my sidepipes are primarily for the "look", to me it's not too important if I have 415 or 430 Hp.... :D

I have tried several mufflers, the Sweet Thunder inserts are a little louder than the Maxflows that I have now. I welded some perforated tubing to both sides of the insert in an attempt to extend the muffler and quiet it a little down, it got quiter but not a whole lot.

that electric cutout is nice but with sidepipes a difficult install, maybe place the cutout before the muffler and let it exit downwards right after the header?? I'd say one on the passenger side is enough, on the driver side it might be painful.

I think using the quiet mufflers with a 2" or even 1" cut out in front of the muffler would be optimal - however, my problem with that would come from my fuel injection. The o2 sensor is in the collector, so putting a cut out 6" from the o2 sensor would screw up its reading.

In the stream-of-consciousness thinking, I don't see the need to have a much larger than 1" hole - because the point of the cutout is to reduce pressure (and increase volume). Hmmmm.... there is space around the outside of the muffler, maybe cut a slot 1" down the insert, then put a sliding door under the tube near the end of the insert?

and I agree - side pipes are for looks, but they also reduce under car heat, cabin heat, and remove heat from the composite spring.... so getting them to be comparable (hp/noise wise) to an under car exhaust seems like a worthwhile endeavor.

I'm to the point that I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to put a bypass in the insert - literally run a 1" or so pipe from front to rear with a baffle operated by a cable

the other choice would be to manufacture something from scratch (which is really sounding better and better all the time)

here's a funny thought - I could mist water behind the maxflo insert on demand, that'd quiet it down... stupid idea, really, but it would be effective

Any reason you arent using the STS baffles? Ive been contemplating replacing the cap with some kind of valve to go from mild to wild with the flick of a switch or a manual lever.

Any reason you arent using the STS baffles? Ive been contemplating replacing the cap with some kind of valve to go from mild to wild with the flick of a switch or a manual lever.

not really - other than I've already bought 2 sets of inserts and my budget isn't ready for a 3rd