Maybe this is part of the Chinese strategy

VegasJen

Formerly Known as Clutchdust
I just read an article about China's blatant copy of the F-35. I mean the thing is probably much more of a threat than it should be given the amount of STOLEN technology they have, but it is so hard to take anyone serious when they give things such stupid names!
"Falcon Eagle"? Fucking seriously?

I'm not too worried. We can't even seem to get that thing to work right, I can't imagine how unreliable a copy would be.

The Soviets reverse-engineered the B-29, but at least they had a couple of actual planes on hand to start with, and they had excellent aeronautical engineers.

Ever use a reverse engineered tool from Harbor Freight?
Remember all the Iraqi advanced soviet jet fighters in the gulf war?
I would feel sorry for the Chinese pilots.

Last edited:
I"d be much more worried about how/where they got the plans for the plane....

:sweat::suicide:

While there is probably still some of that I would wager they have gotten significantly better. Don't forget, not only have they stolen the technology to copy the F-35, they've also stolen the manufacturing technology as well.

History is probably a good predictor of future success in reverse engineering high tech aircraft. Soviet copies of the Concorde, Valkyrie, and space shuttle come to mind.
As for materials/manufacturing, my experience with Chinese companies is reflected in the melamine, dog food incident. Yeah, it might meet a specification, but it wont be right.
And if they do build them correctly, all they have are planes. Not the weapons system, infrastructure, support system, tactics and training to use it. That's what happened in Iraq.
Their best bet would be to build them and sell them, kind of like they do with harbor freight tools.
BTW, anyone know the origin of "Chinese Firedrill"?

While there is probably still some of that I would wager they have gotten significantly better. Don't forget, not only have they stolen the technology to copy the F-35, they've also stolen the manufacturing technology as well.

History is probably a good predictor of future success in reverse engineering high tech aircraft. Soviet copies of the Concorde, Valkyrie, and space shuttle come to mind.

The TU-144 was a parallel development to the Concorde, and actually flew first. It was also bigger, heavier, less fuel-efficient, and lacked some of Concorde's advanced features. Despite the theft of some plans, there's little evidence that any of it made it to the Soviets or had much to do with the TU-144's final development. Boeing's proposed SST also looked just like the Soviet and UK/French planes - apparently 60s SST design testing all led to the same conclusions. The same can be said of the North American XB-70 and the Soviet Sukhoi T-4, though in the latter case the Soviets were aware of the American plane when designing the T-4. Quite frankly, all five of the big supersonic planes share a lot of design similarities, further proving the point that apparently the "needle strapped to a delta wing" design was the only way to get a big plane past Mach 1, especially with late 50s/early 60s technology. On the other hand, NASA and the Soviets certainly had different ideas about what a space capsule should look like...

The TU-144's problems led to it being withdrawn from passenger service, as it got a negative reputation for safety (two crashes vs. Concorde's one) and was horribly inefficient economically, but the surviving planes (two of them crashed, vs. the one Concorde accident). None of the big supersonic planes were remotely efficient or particularly useful for their intended purposes, in the end, but the four different large supersonic planes that were built all worked.

The Soviet space shuttle, the Buran, worked just fine. The program was cut because of the downfall of the Soviet Union and the resulting lack of funds to play with space programs in the early post-Soviet years, along with the realization (which NASA also came to, through experience), that with current technology, reusable spacecraft didn't give the expected benefits of quick turnaround or lower operating costs. Unfortunately the only one that made it to orbit was destroyed in a museum hanger collapse several years ago.

One could say a lot of quite valid negative things about the Soviet regime. The ability to build functional aircraft was never one of them - their fighters were oftentimes better-performing than their American counterparts, for one example, but the American planes generally had better weapons and avionic systems, somewhat negating the aerodynamic advantages.

Chinese copies of anything are a totally different story. Some are just fine. Others are...not.

I should have known there would be aviation historians here.
I'm recalling stuff I read a decade ago, but wasn't there a lot espionage with respect to stealing Concorde plans and even spies caught?
I think I also read where there may have been misinformation resulting in sabotaged plans going east.
Wasn't the Russian version crash due to structural failure (Conspiracy theorist in me "bad plans?") while the Concorde was due to runway debris?

No input on Chinese Fire Drill?