Look what I saw...

JPhil

Huh?
...yesterday on a fire safety inspection.

1966 "Kelsa Asta": 60 made, 23 survive. Small block Chevy, 4 speed, solid axle, built for racing. I looked it up on the internet but found nothing at all, although I'd swear I've seen a picture of one before. I recognize that rear quarter, the top and the way the side window swoops into the body.

66588cbc937ea39.jpg

Cool. Interesting though that the owner didn't seem to know that much about it, considering the Ferrari (or whatever Eyetalian car that is) and a hot rod Camaro & 57 Chevy & misc other projects in his shop.....He told me he had traded another older Ferrari for this plus a wad of cash. I don't think he had any reason to hide facts from me, we talked cars for over a half hour. Maybe he was just forgetful as we talked. Probably that.

The Italian supercar next to it is a Lamborghini. I'm fairly sure it's a Gallardo, but it's hard to tell from that little bit of view.

Last edited:
The Italian supercar next to it is a Lamborghini. I'm fairly sure it's a Gallardo, but it's hard to tell from that little bit of view.

Ha ha --I didn't even give it a second glance, I wasn't interested in it at all.

I looked under the Kellison, I think it has the Kellison frame because it did not look like any production car frame I've seen. What I could see of it was welded, gusseted square box tubing.

The owner showed me how hard it is to get in and fit. The cockpit is so tight you have to work your right leg under the steering wheel first and then do a serious contortion to fold yourself through the extremely low door. You can't sit in it first and then swing your leg in under the wheel even though it was only about 15" diameter. I don't think I could do it. And then when inside, even though he was only about 5' 8", his head was rubbing top and he was wadded up like when your tiny wife moves the seat up all the way, yet it was as far back as it would go. He said a modification he was making to it was to make a quick release removable steering wheel just so he could get in and out.

Jim Kellison must have been a small guy!

http://www.kellisoncars.com/index.html

Last edited:
Kellison was a member of SAE.........not the one in Detroit back in the day.....

but the other one better known today.....Stupid Assed Engineering.......

I"m 6'5" with a long spine......:hissyfit: the car has some attractive lines, but in general....first off it's not a rag top, that kills it for me right there....second off the lights look stupid stuck up there like a bug eye......:banghead: