Long Overdue Progress! My Retro Airbag

Working on the interior wiring a little. It's been a long time since I drove this so I'm trying to figure out if the original car had a neutral safety switch on the transmission AND the clutch pedal. I have a switch on the TKO transmission but I'm trying to figure out why I would need 2 redundant switches. I'm thinking the switch on the tranny is enough.

Anyone know?

Uhh.. Redundancy?
Ever have a back-up light switch fail? Was easy enough to replace - and little consequence of failure.
But, would it be wired through the same lead too?
making me think; Good question to ask.

Cheers - Jim

I looked at the wiring diagram. There are 2 neutral safety switches. One on the clutch pedal and one on the transmission. But they are wired to the ignition in parallel so you only need to activate on or the other. I can't remember why but I ended up removing the one on the clutch pedal but I'm good with only the transmission switch. I can't think of a situation where you would need both?

First time (in years) outside the garage under it's own power!

Today was the first time this car has seen the light of day under it's own power in many years. It really needs a tune, but I have been putting that off until the spring (which should be soon). (y)

First Drive2 022022.jpg

wheels, color and stance all work together so well! looking good (y)
I like having a clutch switch over a NSS on the trans... Easier to bypass if something goes wrong, and you can limp the car home in case of clutch failure (being able to crank the motor while the trans is in 1st)

First time (in years) outside the garage under it's own power!

Today was the first time this car has seen the light of day under it's own power in many years. It really needs a tune, but I have been putting that off until the spring (which should be soon). (y)

View attachment 53348
Nice looking car.

I wish I would have grabbed a convertible in 2020, before prices went crazy! :).

Driving that car will make every hour worth it.

Thanks. Driving the car (in and out of the driveway) should motivate me.

Chris, I thought about moving the car with the starter in an emergency. Probably a good idea. I think I will put a hidden switch on that circuit.

Been working on the interior. I can't use the original dash parts, which is ok. I was not a fan of the upholstered dash look anyway. All the gauges and controls and radio and HVAC control is different so that means a new console.

So I'm making the new console first, that's the bulk of the wiring and it will be good to get that behind me.
20220406_174031.jpg

Temporary speedo tach plate
20220406_174040.jpg

A while back I was working on fixing the door latches by replacing the push rods with a modern cable (pull). Got distracted but I finally got it done. Replaced the binding latch pawl. Works great!

Old Latch
image flip.png

New Latch Pawl
20220421_161342.jpg

Finished
20220425_164029.jpg

Last edited:
Can't believe it's been 6 months since my last post. In the spring I had too much (house) stuff going on. A couple of months ago, I started back on the car and realized I had absolutely no space to work on anything, I couldn't find anything and I ended up working on the floor. So, I spent the next 2 months cleaning up and promised myself I wouldn't work on the car until I was finished.

Picking up where I left off. I need to make some new dash panels because the new gauges don't work, I moved my steering wheel over about a 1/2 inch to center it with the seat and I never really liked the upholstered look.

I'm still formulating a plan here but first thing I need to do is erase the gauge holes

Gauge position

1665785203454.png

1665784799105.png

Reactions: rtj
First I need to repair the cracked mounting points with some 1/4 thick polycarbonate blocks to distribute the load.

Cracked Mount hole
1666122768397.png

Block
1666122861490.png

Done
1666122920589.png

interesting stuff... I know this 'everything conspires against doing cool stuff' situation... I think I see light at the end of my tunnel too... could be a train, but here's to hoping

More repairs to these dash parts. All of the original dash parts I have seen are really broken and cracked. These are no different. The new repro parts are made out of vacuum formed ABS and are really not a good starting point.

So this one had 2 broken corners and I needed to repair these before I put a layer of fiberglass on them.

1666813273925.png

1666813682820.png