Internal Body Aerodynamics

Yes, sales pitch. He said Steeda quite often. But, as expected the high mount is better. Also, concedes APR has better aerodynamic properties.

If this is what they had first, it looks inefficient. Thick wing cross-section, not much camber, not much space between suction surface and trunk, and exaggerated wicker bill. Low mount means dirtier air.

I haven't had a chance to go though this, but there appears to be a lot of info.

I saw an ad for corvette parts and he was selling a wing.

Edit: he seems to cater to the import cars.

Last edited:
I was looking around and saw several APR 200 and 300 wings within a few hours at roughly 1/2 price.

It turns out young guys are dressing up their cars with them and when they sell the car or just get tired of the look they sell them cheap.

So, if you want to experiment with wings, that would be cost effective.

I'll probably wait for a HP upgrade before adding with a wing.

Wow, looking at the cost of carbon fiber splitters, side skirts, and wings, this seems to be a skill to develop.

3d printing saved this guy a lot of time.

Guess I should get the 48x32x18 CNC I build out of the attic. Too bad I pulled all the electronics and servo/steppers. It would be a project unto itself! Not what I need, I am updating a new tow vehicle.
If you go this route - use a ShopVac (he has one) with a check valve - no hand pump required.

His results look nice - It would be interesting to compare "shop-time" to market price. And if he were to become a fabricator - just make the mold sections, and cnc mounts. Let the purchaser do the messy work. There are a few out there that would go that route - especially when/if they could specify/request a foil section and span. SuperBuickGuy?

Cheers - Jim

Reactions: rtj
Wings would be the most difficult, side skirts and splitters are a lot less complicated.

Second hand apr gtc 200 and 300 wings go used for about 50% of new (or even less).

How much does a wing (like the DIY guy made) cost? He probably has a ton a money in the materials to make the DIY version.

How much does a wing (like the DIY guy made) cost? He probably has a ton a money in the materials to make the DIY version.

I think 3d printers start around $400. But, like every thing, you keep upgrading software and computers.

There was a used APR GTC-300 for sale a few weeks ago locally for $800. So, unless you want something special it probably isn't a good idea. There has been a second one for $1200 for months.

Side skirts in CF for a C8 are pretty pricey, so something like that would probably be worth the effort. Plus, tolerances aren't an issue.

I'd really like to get into the CF skinning, so bear with me for posting all these. :)

I think 3d printers start around $400. But, like every thing, you keep upgrading software and computers.

There was a used APR GTC-300 for sale a few weeks ago locally for $800. So, unless you want something special it probably isn't a good idea. There has been a second one for $1200 for months.

Side skirts in CF for a C8 are pretty pricey, so something like that would probably be worth the effort. Plus, tolerances aren't an issue.

I'd really like to get into the CF skinning, so bear with me for posting all these. :)
I think the cost of materials (CF, Epoxy, etc.) is pretty expensive right?

Yeah, stuff has gone off the charts. I use a lot of high-strength vinyl-ester resin. It now runs $150 per gallon. Epoxy is a little higher ($180/gal + $60/qt hardener). On a lot of pieces I build, I put a thin layer of fiberglass mat on the outside of the CF piece if I intend to paint it - less bleed thru in the paint, BUT epoxy does not work with fiberglass mat because of the binders in the mat. Vinyl-ester works fine, but I haven't been able to get any from my local supplier for over 2 months. I just bought a quart of Evercoat Vettebond panel adhesive. It used to be $72.00 - now it is $122.95. I used to use it like it was water to finish out molds - not so much any more. A quart of DP Epoxy primer with hardener is over $200. Go to this site: [email protected] You can find all of the current prices for materials and tools. BTW, there is a link to several good construction videos including one on fiberglass skinning.

Also, I am number one on the order list at a local dealer for a new Z06, but I was bypassed on the last order cycle because I am holding out for the Z07 and exposed carbon fiber big aero options. Guess what - both are on full constraint and GM has not indicated when the carbon bits will be available. I can't tell if it is supplier or material supply issue - maybe both.

Last edited:
Reactions: rtj
[quote} Epoxy is a little higher ($180/gal + $60/qt hardener).[/quote]

Pappy - Try US Composites http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html Based here in Florida.
Their Vinyl Ester is listed at $75.50 a gallon. Can't say what shipping would do though.
In my last order, a gallon of (medium) epoxy resin including 3:1 hardener was less than a hundred bucks.
You can't say that Fiberglast is held hostage by the "left coast," as I think they are Midwest based.

I started using some TotalBoat products as left overs from the boat. Nice 2 part high build primer that sprays well too. Very similar (I think) to your DP.

When the weather improves for laminating, I'll be back on it.
I have made some bits that would "qualify" as Internal-Body-Aerodynamics parts.
I'll have to clean the garage before I take some pics. :(

Cheers - Jim