Hyd Roller Dist Gear

Wish I had your good fortune Gene.

For all practical purposes, I think what Bird said holds true.....hyped up crap!

I took a better look down into the intake to get a better look at the cam gear. I can only see a small part of it, but it is dark looking and dull....not shiney like the cam. I am trying to find someone locally with an boroscope I can borrow to get a better look in there before I get a new gear.

Last edited:
Pop the distrubutor, paint the gear with some blue dykem (machinists' blue) or even better, some gear marking paint, drop the dizzy back in, clamo it down and crank it over. Pull it back out and look at the gear pattern. That will tell you right quick fast and in a hurry how it mates with the cam.

Pop the distrubutor, paint the gear with some blue dykem (machinists' blue) or even better, some gear marking paint, drop the dizzy back in, clamo it down and crank it over. Pull it back out and look at the gear pattern. That will tell you right quick fast and in a hurry how it mates with the cam.

I have been thinking about doing that with my yellow marking paint....a rotation or 2 should do it?

For all practical purposes, I think what Bird said holds true.....hyped up crap!

I took a better look down into the intake to get a better look at the cam gear. I can only see a small part of it, but it is dark looking and dull....not shiney like the cam. I am trying to find someone locally with an boroscope I can borrow to get a better look in there before I get a new gear.

And then what? Pull the cam? Just install a melonised gear, and run it.

If it is the iron pressed on gear, wouldn't it be better to run the iron dist gear rather than the melonized? Or, no difference?

If it is the iron pressed on gear, wouldn't it be better to run the iron dist gear rather than the melonized? Or, no difference?

The melonised gear works well with any cam.

The melonised gear works well with any cam.

What IS melonised?? and what metal is it made of??

all I have ever run is the stock shit, never had a bad one, like I said...

"Melonite™ and Melonite QPQ™ are thermochemical processes intended for the case hardening of iron based metals. These processes are categorized as molten salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing. During these processes, nitrogen, carbon, and small amounts of oxygen are diffused into the surface of the steel, creating an epsilon iron nitride layer (e - FexN).

A degraded form of this nitride layer (gamma prime: g' - Fe4N) is obtained during plasma or gas nitriding. The nitride layer is composed of two principle zones. Zone 1, called the compound or "white" layer, extends to a case depth of ~0.0004" to 0.0008". The compound layer is porous, which lends to the lubricity of the finish, and hard (~700HV to 1600HV). Zone 2, called the diffusion zone, extends to a case depth of ~.004" to 0.008".

In addition, small quantities of substrate carbon are pulled from deeper within the substrate toward the surface. The diffusion zone demonstrates a decreasing gradient concentration of carbon and particularly nitrogen as the gradient extends deeper into the surface of the substrate. This property yields a tough outer surface or shell, yet alloys the material to retain ductility, thereby lending to the overall strength of the material.

Resulting properties from these chemical and structural composition changes are increased surface hardness, lower coefficient of friction, enhanced surface lubricity, improved running wear performance, increased sliding wear resistance, and enhanced corrosion resistance. Naturally, the alloy of the substrate will influence which properties are principally affected and to what extent they are affected."

"Melonite™ and Melonite QPQ™ are thermochemical processes intended for the case hardening of iron based metals. These processes are categorized as molten salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing. During these processes, nitrogen, carbon, and small amounts of oxygen are diffused into the surface of the steel, creating an epsilon iron nitride layer (e - FexN).

A degraded form of this nitride layer (gamma prime: g' - Fe4N) is obtained during plasma or gas nitriding. The nitride layer is composed of two principle zones. Zone 1, called the compound or "white" layer, extends to a case depth of ~0.0004" to 0.0008". The compound layer is porous, which lends to the lubricity of the finish, and hard (~700HV to 1600HV). Zone 2, called the diffusion zone, extends to a case depth of ~.004" to 0.008".

In addition, small quantities of substrate carbon are pulled from deeper within the substrate toward the surface. The diffusion zone demonstrates a decreasing gradient concentration of carbon and particularly nitrogen as the gradient extends deeper into the surface of the substrate. This property yields a tough outer surface or shell, yet alloys the material to retain ductility, thereby lending to the overall strength of the material.

Resulting properties from these chemical and structural composition changes are increased surface hardness, lower coefficient of friction, enhanced surface lubricity, improved running wear performance, increased sliding wear resistance, and enhanced corrosion resistance. Naturally, the alloy of the substrate will influence which properties are principally affected and to what extent they are affected."

Yeh, right, copy paste, and so only a Chem E can understand....

so I just figger it's tough steel, and get over with it....

Yeh, right, copy paste, and so only a Chem E can understand....

so I just figger it's tough steel, and get over with it....

The gear is just "case hardened".

Melonizing is a trademark name for a case hardening process using cyanide.
In the early 70's I did a stint with, of all people, a "Dutch tool and dye maker" schooled and from Europe. He taught me how to case harden sewing machine parts and using cyanide was one of the methods. Another was using bone meal. I remember asking my dad, who was also a tool and dye maker, about the process, and he said they had been using it ever since he first apprenticed in the 40's.
I guess back then, no one was bright enough to come up with a fancy name for it and trademark it.