How's Florida in April?

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
Two years ago it was the east coast, this time it's the east one.
Plan is to drive southward down the east coast, in a quest for some much needed sun, warmth and rest.
As we can't find a trustworthy keeper so far, our dog (a 20lbs rat terrier weapon of mass cuteness) is expected to come with us.
We haven't booked anything yet.
All I know so far is that I'll probably make a stop to visit my soul-brother in Boston.

If you got good stuff to recommend in Florida or along the way to, please chime in.
I would also be delighted to meet fellow forum member, so if you want the Frenchman from Mooseland to pay you a visit, let me know :D

Florida is over (under?) loaded with VetteMod types. Mr_Vette would be irreparably hurt if you didn't stop by Jacksonville. MyBad is down there too. Probably some more down there but those 2 come to mind.

:1st::drink:

Don't miss the fort at St. Augustine.

Im still down here. Weather is hard to beat. 75 to 85 and sunny lately. I'll probably be back in Missouri by April though, that is if Tim ever gets the weather under control up there. :skeptic:

Florida is over (under?) loaded with VetteMod types. Mr_Vette would be irreparably hurt if you didn't stop by Jacksonville. MyBad is down there too. Probably some more down there but those 2 come to mind.

:1st::drink:

Don't miss the fort at St. Augustine.

St Augustine and Jacksonville added to the list, thanks Tim :thumbs:

Im still down here. Weather is hard to beat. 75 to 85 and sunny lately. I'll probably be back in Missouri by April though, that is if Tim ever gets the weather under control up there. :skeptic:

I am 150% ready to get the weather back to where it needs to be. I'm getting tired of this cold. Remember- I work outside. It's hard to find a garage big enough for the stuff I play with. At least one that you can afford. And heating a space that's 200'x200'x80' that is full span- no internal support- is NOT cheap either.

I am 150% ready to get the weather back to where it needs to be. I'm getting tired of this cold. Remember- I work outside. It's hard to find a garage big enough for the stuff I play with. At least one that you can afford. And heating a space that's 200'x200'x80' that is full span- no internal support- is NOT cheap either.

And I'm sure those airfields are all windy. I sympathize.

East Coast:

Key West; sunset at Mallory Square

At least, one of the keys; definitely John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park if you like snorkeling, kayaking, or just hanging out on a nice beach, and they also have a glass bottom boat, Seven Mile Bridge is pretty cool, and don't forget to try the Key Lime pie pretty much anywhere.

Kennedy Space Center and vicinity; great tours of the Space Center, Cocoa Beach near by, Merritt Island and St. Johns Wildlife refuges for wildlife viewing (take the dirt roads along the island's northern edges to see gators sunning on the banks, and lots of birds at St. Johns), and great seafood either in Port Canaveral or Dixie Crossroads in Titusville. Oh yeah, Eckler's too!

Daytona Beach; drive on the beach (might not be a big thing for most people, but in California you can't so it was cool for me), see the Speedway.

Everglades; if you're a fan, you can re-enact your favorite scene from Miami Vice :amused:

West Coast:

Sanibel/Captiva Islands; chill on the beaches, collect sea shells, good fishing near by.

Panhandle:

Destin; great beaches!

These are what I can think of off-hand. I'll look up your thread from when you headed west to see what the criteria were and may have more to offer.

Mike

Blue Man Group in Orlando (Universal Studios), The Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing in central Florida, and the Auto Museum on I-10 just west of Tallahassee. The USAF Armament Museum is an interesting stop in Fort Walton Beach (adjacent to Eglin Air Force Base) and the Beaches are fabulous - even if it is the "Red Neck Riviera." Stop at Destin if you want to do some fishing. I'd add the US Navy Air Museum in Pensacola, then the battleship etc in Mobile, Alabama.

Cheers - Jim

Do Garlits Museum right off I75 in Ocala as said. The weather is looking warmer here in ATL so I'm sure FLA will be even better. If you come through ATL, Summit Racing is app. 25 miles south again on I75, you can't miss the sign. Then if your going by Daytona, whether your into NASCAR or not. Take a walk into the track. It'll raise your hair if you've never seen a larger facility built for speed.

Ralphy

Last edited:
Just EAST of Tallahassee off the south side of I 10 is a HUGE auto museum one of the largest car collections EVER......you can spend a serious DAY there and not see it all......wife and I saw it some years ago, I would hope it's still open, some issue with the .gov and I can't remember the name of the place either.....

and a MUST DO, is read 'Old Man & the Sea' by Hemingway, and have a beer in his bar at Key West......

:D

The Keys and Sanibel island are a 'must'

Clearwater Beach is pretty cool too but very crowded usually

And Orlando of course: stop by when you're down here !!!

ok Ive been down here at my places in Port St Lucie and Palm beach shores for 3 weeks... headed back north for a couple weeks then back down for another long weekend in Key West

Bullshark where U be?

The Keys and Sanibel island are a 'must'

Clearwater Beach is pretty cool too but very crowded usually

And Orlando of course: stop by when you're down here !!!

I'll do a proper answer to all the cool suggestion posted, but one thing is sure is that Mrs Denpo wanna see the Ghia IRL.:rose:

Bullshark where U be?

I have a place just south of Venice on the Gulf side. We have been here since Jan 1 so kinda lucked out with the weather. Probably head back late March if the Missouri weather improves. Heading for Jupiter Friday to take in a Cardinal Spring training game.

I'm south of JAX, maybe those of us in FL can meet with you guys at a location that's "in the middle" somewhere. The Cape, Orlando, even St. Augustine might be good choices. If the timing works, you're welcome to overnight here, but we have two GSD's. Not sure how that would work with your Terrier, but we might be able to work it out!

BullShark That is Very close to me.. that is over on indian town road... Abacoa I think We are gonna be in Juno Beach friday night at the fish house for dinner... We have a place in Port St Lucie and a place on the beach on singer island..

BullShark That is Very close to me.. that is over on indian town road... Abacoa I think We are gonna be in Juno Beach friday night at the fish house for dinner... We have a place in Port St Lucie and a place on the beach on singer island..

Hey, maybe we could hook up for a bite to eat before heading back. Game starts at 1:00 over by 4:00 i'm guessing. I'll pm my phone # if we can work things out.

Two years ago it was the east coast, this time it's the east one.
Plan is to drive southward down the east coast, in a quest for some much needed sun, warmth and rest. :D

Welcome. What took so long? You should have high tailed it down here in January, right after New Years. Any how, by March 21, the days will be 12 hours long.

I still have to compile all the input (probably this WE), but they seems to split into two part : Car (museums, racetracks) and Nature (beach, sightseeing).
We'll probably do more of the later, my SO is not so into, at least she tolerate, better to push it too much.
When time come we will do a run down Michel and I in our vette.

The space center is a exception, we're both sci-fi/space fans.

If the timing works, you're welcome to overnight here, but we have two GSD's. Not sure how that would work with your Terrier, but we might be able to work it out!
Thanks for the offers, I keep that in mind when planning.
As a good rattie my dog is a "terrier with an off switch", submissive and obedient. She does very well with other dog as long it's not too rough.

Welcome. What took so long? You should have high tailed it down here in January, right after New Years. Any how, by March 21, the days will be 12 hours long.
Good question. I'll probably flee earlier next year, as I really feel the urge for new scenery now, but it hasn't been planned ahead enough on professional side. I gog to fit into the production planning.

Visit some of the Civil War battlefields if you can. I know the one in Fredericksburg, Virginia is a public park that is no fee & not commercialized. If you take some time to walk around, pause, ponder (with the help of the guide pamphlet), you can still feel the ghosts and the terror of the battle. The battlefield of Marye's Heights is still much as it was and there are still scars visible in some of the structures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fredericksburg

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bat...2Fwww.civilwarhome.com%2Ffredrick.htm;460;237

Last edited: