Equifax Settlement! Woohoo!

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
in 2017, hackers took roughly 147 million Americans' personal information from the Equifax credit monitoring agency, making it one of the largest data breaches in history. The exposed information included names, Social Security numbers, birthdays, driver's license numbers, and 200,000 credit card numbers.

At the time, Equifax offered this statement: Investigators have since tied the Equifax breach to hackers associated with the Chinese military. The credit monitoring agency maintained in its Dec. 19, announcement that no harm has come to consumers since then.

"There remains no evidence that the data obtained during the 2017 cyber attack perpetrated by Chinese military-based hackers against Equifax has been sold or used," a company spokesperson wrote. "Over the last five years, few companies have invested more time and resources than Equifax to ensure that consumers' information is protected."

So, the Chinese Military hacked 147 million Americans for shits and giggles? Equifax spent more "time and resources" to protect user data? So, they failed to protect the personal data that they were selling to just about anyone (that pays for it). Sounds like the only failure is to collect the money. Sorry, I wasn't born yesterday.

I got my settlement check today. $1.77

$1.77 for the pleasure of being inordinately susceptible to identity theft for life

1672856622794.png

Reactions: rtj