Early vs late C4 suspension?

vette427sbc

Ive got a lead on a '96 6 speed parts car that I was hoping to grab the rear suspension out of... IIRC someone mentioned that the early C4 stuff is easier to graft in than the later? If so, what hurdles will I need to overcome to use this suspension? Id like to use this one because its cheap, local, and a D44 (which is usually not cheap!)

Ive got a lead on a '96 6 speed parts car that I was hoping to grab the rear suspension out of... IIRC someone mentioned that the early C4 stuff is easier to graft in than the later? If so, what hurdles will I need to overcome to use this suspension? Id like to use this one because its cheap, local, and a D44 (which is usually not cheap!)

Don't know if I'm that someone, but I have made comments about putting a C4 suspension in a C3. In my case it was noticeably easier packaging an early C4 rear suspension (compared to a later C4) due to my self imposed restriction of retaining the stock C3 trackwidth. If you retain the C4 trackwidth then any C4 rear suspension packages pretty much the same.
When I narrowed the C4 suspension I used '84 knuckles as they are about IIRC an inch narrower. This helped me to not have to cut the frame and bodywork area directly above the halfshafts for clearance during bumps/jounce. Also IIRC the later C4 calipers are wider (thicker) in the inner side, which would have hit the bodywork on my narrowed suspension worse than the early calipers. (I ended up using non floating Wilwood calipers for better packaging anyway.)
I kept the stock C3 differential because I had several different ratio spares sitting on the shelf, and I was always unsure if a C4 D44 might require fiberglass work in the tunnel area.

Don't know if I'm that someone, but I have made comments about putting a C4 suspension in a C3. In my case it was noticeably easier packaging an early C4 rear suspension (compared to a later C4) due to my self imposed restriction of retaining the stock C3 trackwidth. If you retain the C4 trackwidth then any C4 rear suspension packages pretty much the same.
When I narrowed the C4 suspension I used '84 knuckles as they are about IIRC an inch narrower. This helped me to not have to cut the frame and bodywork area directly above the halfshafts for clearance during bumps/jounce. Also IIRC the later C4 calipers are wider (thicker) in the inner side, which would have hit the bodywork on my narrowed suspension worse than the early calipers. (I ended up using non floating Wilwood calipers for better packaging anyway.)
I kept the stock C3 differential because I had several different ratio spares sitting on the shelf, and I was always unsure if a C4 D44 might require fiberglass work in the tunnel area.

Yes you are... I was having a brainfart...
I plan on narrowing it as well, do you happen to know if the early knuckles will work with the later halfshafts, etc...? I have plans for another brake system so brakes are not an issue Im looking at (yet).
Im going to review your thread again and see if I can answer some of my own questions.
Thanks for the input, Mike!

Yes you are... I was having a brainfart...
I plan on narrowing it as well, do you happen to know if the early knuckles will work with the later halfshafts, etc...? I have plans for another brake system so brakes are not an issue Im looking at (yet).
Im going to review your thread again and see if I can answer some of my own questions.
Thanks for the input, Mike!

It's my understanding that all C4 halfshafts are the same (and the u-joint end of the spindle is the same over the years).
I initially just asked a driveshaft shop (in Orlando at the time) to just shorten the two C4 halfshafts I dropped off with them, but the next day the shop manager called me and said that the shortened tube was a loose fit on the yoke/end/flange/whatever the hell it's called. He described it as end pieces that are made for a thick wall tube (with a smaller ID), but Chevy just welded thin wall tubing on them. We discussed the possible headache of aligning everything up (prior to welding) with the loose fit, or cutting off the tubes completely and using thicker wall tubing for a tighter fit on the ends. I asked them to put the thicker wall tubing in (.138 vs .093 IIRC). The extra operation (removing the tubes) cost me extra, so my shortened shafts cost me about the same as if I had ordered a pair from scratch. Just something to kick around when you get to that point.
Good luck with this project. :thumbs: