Do I need the baffle in the oil pan?

gbak

After removing the oil pan, I found that my 383 crank have collide with the horizontal baffle inside the pan.
The baffle have been cut in two pieces that was moving around in the bottom of the pan.

I know that there is some benefits using a baffle, but what I can see the baffle in my pan have not stopped the oil from going back when accelerating.
Maby the baffle have stoped the oil from going front when braking?

Is it safe to reinstall the pan without the horizontal baffle?

Before:

ResizeofDSC01441.jpg

After:

ResizeofCIMG4174.jpg

Last edited:
looks like the problem is at the front.

Controlling the oil in the pan is somewhat important, you don't want the pickup to run dry when cornering or braking. Especially when you have a manual trans and shift down and use the engine to assist braking, that would mean higher rpm during braking (and possibly no oil at the pickup).

That's one reason for trap doors and baffles.

I will cut off the front part and take it to the machine shop where my crank is right now.
They can weld it back.

looks like the problem is at the front.

Controlling the oil in the pan is somewhat important, you don't want the pickup to run dry when cornering or braking. Especially when you have a manual trans and shift down and use the engine to assist braking, that would mean higher rpm during braking (and possibly no oil at the pickup).

That's one reason for trap doors and baffles.

My bad, I meant the front. I been working on this dam early Mustang all too much :bonkers:

That baffle is not for oil control during braking or acceleratoin - it's a windage tray. It prevents oil windage from the air "slugs" thrown down into the oil off the bottoms of the pistons. Controlling oil windage maintains oil pressure at high rpm, and effective windage trays are worth about 20 horsepower above 4000 rpm.

Lars