distributor tdc question

c4lover

I took top parts of motor apart to port intake including distributor obviously and now while trying to start it, timing is off and is backfiring. What is a simple trick to set the timing back for it yo run? I got all anxious to cruise in it and now its off! Help please :s :suicide:

Remove #1 plug, furthest forward on left/driver's bank, get help to flip engine over with starter, or rig up a pushbutton hold your finger over the plug hole, when you feel compression/airflow out, that means the valves are closed and on the compression stroke, when you feel that, you need to get that timing mark set at zero on the indicator, kind of tough to do, so maybe at least loosen the rest of the plugs...SBC does not take kindly to turning engine over via the balancer bolt, so a pair of vicegrips carefully applied to the flex plate is my favorite way....when you get that in position, you need pull the cap off the dizzy, and note that on the HEI the wiring snout is typically positioned to point straight off to the left side of the engine, imagine a line through the dizzy and it's parallel to the back of the engine....note that #1 plug is first one clockwise in rotation from the wiring terminals....so pull the dizzy out, rotate that cap/shaft till it's in position, and note that it will take maybe 2-3 attempts for that cap to point to #1 plug, as it turns when dropped down the gear drive does that....

IF you can't get it to drop clean down, just get it to settle best as possible, make sure nothing is on the flex plate and bump the starter, as it will drop over the oil pump, engaging it.....may want to bump starter a bit to check rotor position on that timing mark just to be sure....

common mistake is pulling dizzy's without taking cap off first, and noting position of the rotor cap/button so you can put it back in same spot, assuming you have not turned engine any.....

:smash::thumbs:

:bomb::bomb::bomb:I did just that and it idled a lil rough and as I turned the distributor, the exhaust backfired a little. But I had to turn it off due to an antifreeze leak everywhere. Soo the timing was getting there but now another problem

Mark the number 1 terminal of the dizzy on the base of the dizzy (not on the cap) so that you can see the mark with the cap off. Turn the motor over and set it at the amount (degrees) BTC that you want to ignition to fire (say it needs 8° advance, then you set the motor at 8° BTDC) line the rotor up with the mark you've made on the base. It should get you going untill you can set the timing with a timing light.