DIS on a C3?

GT6Steve

Anybody put a DIS system on a small block? I see there's a couple of vendors on the web offering kits.

Is it worthy or is the stock HEI as good as it gets?:hunter:

Distributorless Ignition System as on the LS engines. One coil pack per sparkplug I think....

I've never actually seen one but had such good results with putting an EDIS (Ford) on the Jag it got me pondering the misfire on the 81.

Distributorless Ignition System as on the LS engines. One coil pack per sparkplug I think....

I've never actually seen one but had such good results with putting an EDIS (Ford) on the Jag it got me pondering the misfire on the 81.

DIS just means distributorless. It can be either 4 or 8 coils on an 8 cylinder.

The DIS looks high tech on a sbc, but the money could be spent on a good HEI rebuild/tweak, with a lot of time and money left over compared to a DIS.

The big DIS advantage is no maintenace, allowing it to meet long term emission standards, whereas a distributor needs the ocasional cap and rotor replacement.

I think I've got my answer....

Misfire turned out to be a burnt plug wire on the 81 stock "headers". Again!

Bought DEI insulation this time....:smash:

Electromotive with Crank Trigger (DIS) - but have yet to fire the motor up.
Will be an interesting thing when we do! Maybe worthy of a video. Bt that is a few months away--unfortunately. :hissyfit:

Cheers - Jim

Dis

Yep, I'm using LS coils on a Vortec 383,is neat cause I can dail in about any spark curve i want(and ahell of alot that are just stupid).Am controling with a MS3 Mega Squirt.Can also run dwell up too(hotter spark)and the coils still run cool. I'm told that these are good to 9000 RPM but the motor is not.:crutches:
Gimpy

Yep, I'm using LS coils on a Vortec 383,is neat cause I can dail in about any spark curve i want(and ahell of alot that are just stupid).Am controling with a MS3 Mega Squirt.Can also run dwell up too(hotter spark)and the coils still run cool. I'm told that these are good to 9000 RPM but the motor is not.:crutches:
Gimpy

I have a MS3x for my Spider - but I'm using it because it can control the cams. I plan on using it for my Buick 430 turbo build. However, because the motor is still in the machine shop and I've yet to even look for a car to put it in - I'm sure there'll be an update to the megasquirt before I ever get that build done... but MS is your friend for a coil per cylinder system.

[/QUOTE]I have a MS3x for my Spider - but I'm using it because it can control the cams. I plan on using it for my Buick 430 turbo build. However, because the motor is still in the machine shop and I've yet to even look for a car to put it in - I'm sure there'll be an update to the megasquirt before I ever get that build done... but MS is your friend for a coil per cylinder system.[/QUOTE]

Yep, i got an Email the other day,MegaSquirt has now gone "Pro", have a waterproof unit with Bluetooth ,can be tuned with a smart phone from the garage next door. Not sure where they can add more but I'm sure they'll think of something!!
Gimpy

Steve, are you seriously still running the stock headers? I can't believe they haven't fallen off the car yet. Those have to be the crappiest "headers" ever put on a car. By 10 years almost every one made had cracked at least one of the AIR tubes. Might want to give them a good once-over just to make sure.
If you're seriously worried about the smog test, you should know that they don't actually check to see things are hooked up the way they originally came. Get some decent ceramic coated headers and just run the single pipe down to your cat.

Hmmm, I've heard the stock headers were pretty good but I have noted your success with the shorty headers.

I got failed on a test a while back cuz I didn't have the EGR valve. I'd love to lose that crappy air pump sitting up there...

Put your air cleaner on today, Thanx immensely!:beer:

I have a MS3x for my Spider - but I'm using it because it can control the cams. I plan on using it for my Buick 430 turbo build. However, because the motor is still in the machine shop and I've yet to even look for a car to put it in - I'm sure there'll be an update to the megasquirt before I ever get that build done... but MS is your friend for a coil per cylinder system.[/QUOTE]

Yep, i got an Email the other day,MegaSquirt has now gone "Pro", have a waterproof unit with Bluetooth ,can be tuned with a smart phone from the garage next door. Not sure where they can add more but I'm sure they'll think of something!!
Gimpy[/QUOTE]
and they're really nice people IRL

I have a MS3x for my Spider - but I'm using it because it can control the cams. I plan on using it for my Buick 430 turbo build. However, because the motor is still in the machine shop and I've yet to even look for a car to put it in - I'm sure there'll be an update to the megasquirt before I ever get that build done... but MS is your friend for a coil per cylinder system.

Gimpy[/QUOTE]
and they're really nice people IRL[/QUOTE]

Mega Squirt/Bruce Bowling and Al Grippo were hardly an item when I talked to Bruce on the phone over 18 years ago, finding about him through what almost had to be the old UUnet group....alt.autos.corvette chat group.....so he gave me a few tips about what he was doing, and helped me out on the initial install on my '72.......

but before this '72, there was another DPFI project, on my 455 old PONTIAC engine using a caddy FI setup from a '79 Sedan DeVille with 425 engine.....junkyard and home modified/designed old Poncho manifold.....still have it, Dave Amoroso has seen it just setting in the garage still.......tore it off to sell the car, after the computer died....I talked to the designer tech at what was then Siemens, previously Allied Signal, and before that, the R&D was done by the old company BENDIX in Newport News Va......so the design tech gave me a few tips how to get the system up and operating, it ran fine for some 7 years or so.....550 ft lbs at idle,...heehehehe, the Goat was a beast.....to say the least....

:crylol::hissyfit::censored::club:

It will provide more accurate timing over all cyls and does away with the dizzy and wires taking up room and place + burnt ignition wires. Investment is a lot more. Your call.