Crap timing

VegasJen

Formerly Known as Clutchdust
Like there is ever any good time for major car trouble, right?
I think the Suburban is about to throw a rod. :(
Nasty sounding clunk coming from down deep.
Oh well. I've been thinking about buying something a little newer anyway. I might just get a little shit box (that has air conditioning) and gets better gas mileage.

If you have property just keep it, fix it later..... You're probably not getting much for it if you try to sell..... Well, if you were close by I'd give you $500..... :drink: :lol:

If you have property just keep it, fix it later..... You're probably not getting much for it if you try to sell..... Well, if you were close by I'd give you $500..... :drink: :lol:

Good idea the gas in the tank is probable worth more....lol

That's actually more than what I paid for it. I bought it back in October of '12 with two cracked heads for $400. R&R'd the engine (by R&R I mean low dollar overhaul) and since then have replaced the alternator and put four new tires on it. Not counting gas and oil changes I'm into the thing for about $1500 total. Can't complain too much about that.

Spent hours yesterday looking for a cheap little commuter car but found that pickings are slim. I was looking for something 6-8 years old for under $8k. I know that's not a lot, but I'm not looking for a lot of car either. Still, hardly anything out there. Lots of 2010-2013 and the few in the age range I'm looking for are almost as expensive as newer used cars.
I'm about to give up on the idea of just buying something newer and more reliable and rebuilding the suburban engine again.

If I did that I would have to empty the thing out. It's been kind of a mobile storage for the last year and a half!

Spent hours yesterday looking for a cheap little commuter car but found that pickings are slim. I was looking for something 6-8 years old for under $8k. I know that's not a lot, but I'm not looking for a lot of car either. Still, hardly anything out there. Lots of 2010-2013 and the few in the age range I'm looking for are almost as expensive as newer used cars.
I'm about to give up on the idea of just buying something newer and more reliable and rebuilding the suburban engine again.
Paint me surprised.
Here in Qc, I could get plenty of cars for under $3k. Nothing fancy, lots of Kia Rio, Chevy Optra and Hundai Accent, but still something you can call a car.
Tip: look for manual cars, being harder to sell, they go for lower.

I went for the "most hated car in the world after the Aztek" : a PT Cruzer because it was like new for a $2700, 10 years car.
PTs are supposed to be old people's car, must be why they seems to be well cared for.
Mine swallowed the Montreal-Florida round trip without a complain, each time 2 days, 14h a day non-stop without any overheating.
My $.02

Denpo, that's a good point. Go after something reliable yet to be polite, not ascetically desirable.

Ralphy

Well..... Sometimes I'm cheeep.....

When you buy another car, you have to pay sales tax and tag/title fees, blah......

Even Autozone sells 454 short blocks ..... (I assume that's what that Surburban has under the hood?)

If it's a 350 it's even cheaper.....

Just swap that engine and call it a day......

Cheapest way out IMO

Now, if you want to get rid of it and don't need a huge car like that ok, buy a smaller car ......

Ship that 'burban my way, I'll pay whatever the disposal fee is .... LOL.....

I could use it to haul crap back and forth on my property..... Lol

Well..... Sometimes I'm cheeep.....

When you buy another car, you have to pay sales tax and tag/title fees, blah......

Even Autozone sells 454 short blocks ..... (I assume that's what that Surburban has under the hood?)

If it's a 350 it's even cheaper.....

Just swap that engine and call it a day......

Cheapest way out IMO

Now, if you want to get rid of it and don't need a huge car like that ok, buy a smaller car ......

Ship that 'burban my way, I'll pay whatever the disposal fee is .... LOL.....

I could use it to haul crap back and forth on my property..... Lol
Been thinking of going this route (it's a 350) and have all but committed to some type of repair of the suburban.
I have a really big expense upcoming and don't want any more expenses than I already have.

So I was thinking about getting a cheap car just for around-town use. Even so, I would need to finance as I just don't have $5-6k in the bank (pathetic, I know). So I applied with my bank. The same bank in which I have had an account for six years and currently have an issued credit card and home mortgage.
I was declined.
What?
I got the letter today and my credit score is 753.
Again, what?
I want a $6000 loan, earn about $52k a year, have a house and a credit score of 753 and my credit is too thin?
:surrender:

Jen, I drive up and down Lake Mead every day and there's a "southwestern" dealer that has a Bug and a Hummer both for 5K. Suspicious as hell but it might be a quick and dirty solution. Between Nellis and Lamb.

go to a dealership they can get you financed . the bank may actually approve you for a newer and better car. a $ 6000 car is a bigger risk in their eyes.

Just let that Surburban sit if you can afford it..... Another car is going to cost you way more than a new used engine for this one..... Big expense yeah..... Girls can swap Chevy small blocks too..... :cool:

I have a short block sitting here but shipping wold cost more than what you can get one locally in around Vegas......

750 is not all that bad of a score considering you're gambling away all that money ... Lol

Last edited:
Jen, I drive up and down Lake Mead every day and there's a "southwestern" dealer that has a Bug and a Hummer both for 5K. Suspicious as hell but it might be a quick and dirty solution. Between Nellis and Lamb.
Oh, I know the dealerships you're talking about. I drive that road every day. I think I even know which Hummer (H3?) you're talking about. But I always laugh to myself whenever I see a girl driving a hummer! :wink:

go to a dealership they can get you financed . the bank may actually approve you for a newer and better car. a $ 6000 car is a bigger risk in their eyes.
Won't buy anything more expensive. I can afford it but, as you may or may not know, I have a rather big expense I am saving for. So far I'm way behind my goal. I need to save ~$25k, hopefully by the end of next year. I make enough that it's possible, but I'll be eating Top Ramen and can soup for months.

Just let that Surburban sit if you can afford it..... Another car is going to cost you way more than a new used engine for this one..... Big expense yeah..... Girls can swap Chevy small blocks too..... :cool:

I have a short block sitting here but shipping wold cost more than what you can get one locally in around Vegas......

750 is not all that bad of a score considering you're gambling away all that money ... Lol

Of course we can! I've done it before, although I did have a bit of a strength advantage in those days. :blush:

A couple days ago I dropped the pan. Fortunately, I can pull the pan without pulling the motor. But that's kind of a moot point since #1 rod is getting into the crank for some reason and the whole thing has to come out anyway. This morning I got most of the accessories pulled and all I need to do is drain the coolant, pull the mounts and it should come out.

Crank will need to be turned but now I'm wondering why I had this failure. Ever since I put it together the first time it had a slight clatter on dry start up but that would only last 2-3 seconds. I only did a budget overhaul when I got the thing so there was no machine work involved. I don't know if this is a problem I built into it or just something left over from the PO. Either way, if all I do is turn the crank and throw new bearings in it, I'm only out the time and a couple hundred dollars. I can't complain too much about that. But #8 burns oil so now I'm thinking of pulling that head and seeing if I have a problem with the ring.... Decisions, decisions.