Briggs and Stratton Governor

SmokinBBC

Anyone familiar with B&S mechanical governor?

I fired up my generator and with choke wide open the motor went full throttle. Didn't go down to idle. The governor stays wide open. No movement whatsoever.

It is a mechanical governor. Hooked up properly...springs, etc. Is it possible that the crankshaft gov gear or governor crankshaft rod is busted?:crap:

most generators have a switch on the front panel. one way is full throttle and the other lets it idle down with no load,when a load is applied it will throttle up.check to see if you have one.

most generators have a switch on the front panel. one way is full throttle and the other lets it idle down with no load,when a load is applied it will throttle up.check to see if you have one.

Hey Kevin....how's it going?

Unfortunately, no swtich or throttle control on this one...only a governor.

Most of the briggs I have had apart use centrifugal weights. Does the arm for the govern seem to move freely?

Every thing is going well here. how about with you? well i would guess that maybe the springs have come off the weights in the motor. the case is not hard to pull apart and take a look inside.

Most of the briggs I have had apart use centrifugal weights. Does the arm for the govern seem to move freely?

Yes,,,moves freely. I can idle it down by hand. No resistance at all coming up from the rod that gose into the crankcase. That rod moves freely.

Every thing is going well here. how about with you? well i would guess that maybe the springs have come off the weights in the motor. the case is not hard to pull apart and take a look inside.

things are going fine with me. Trying to get things reorganized in the garage. Haven't fired up the gen since summer. Thought I would make sure it's fine before winter. New plug, change oil...

The crank cover would be easy to get off if I could get the damn rotor shaft off the crankshaft. From the pictures on the web and parts page, it looks like the rotor shaft slides/presses on the crankshaft which is tapered. Can't get the dang thing to budge. I made a puller for it and the dang thing bent.

The crank cover would be easy to get off if I could get the damn rotor shaft off the crankshaft. From the pictures on the web and parts page, it looks like the rotor shaft slides/presses on the crankshaft which is tapered. Can't get the dang thing to budge. I made a puller for it and the dang thing bent.

You mean the flywheel? If so harmonic balancer puller is what I used for the brigs in my rider.

You mean the flywheel? If so harmonic balancer puller is what I used for the brigs in my rider.

The rotor and flywheel are one piece on the rotor shaft This shaft slides over the crank snout.

IMG_1561.jpg

So I find a guy on the internet who responded to amisc. question. He uses a very high tech tool to get the rotors off.

A friggin 2x4.....you whack the sides of the rotor shaft at the end a few times going around it which loosens the shaft off of the tapered end. WTF!

So after about 6 or so good whacks....off she comes. So much for a puller!

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg