Boosting RFID sensor range

vette427sbc

Is it possible to boost the range of the sensor for my RFID ignition system? I need as much range as I can get out of this thing since right now its only about 3 inches. A foot would be acceptable, 3 feet would be fantastic. But in reality, I will take any gains I can get. Gene? :search:

Is it possible to boost the range of the sensor for my RFID ignition system? I need as much range as I can get out of this thing since right now its only about 3 inches. A foot would be acceptable, 3 feet would be fantastic. But in reality, I will take any gains I can get. Gene? :search:

Radio Freq I D.....but I can't recall it's use.....talking of those pesky computer key gigs, like we need another key for the wife's ride???

:surrender:

So no ideas? My current system uses a passive tag, Im wondering if I can convert to an active tag to maybe boost the range, but this is where I get lost. I cant figure out what is involved in making an active tag, and weather or not my reader will still pick it up.

So no ideas? My current system uses a passive tag, Im wondering if I can convert to an active tag to maybe boost the range, but this is where I get lost. I cant figure out what is involved in making an active tag, and weather or not my reader will still pick it up.

:flash: Sorry man, not kept up with this last dozen years of tech, I have tried in the past by jacking up voltages on remotes, and they shut down on that score....they got that shit so engineered these daze, I doubt much way around it.....without mucho time spent on a test bench....

:bonkers:

Can you boost the power of the reader or aim it in a more convenient direction? That's what we do in the card access world.... since the tags/chips are pretty dumb.

Do you know any ways to boost the readers power? Ive done a bunch of research and it seems like my best bet is to use a UHF passive tag (ultra high freq). That is only if my reader will be able to pick up that freq range. Although someone mentioned taking the reader apart and extending the antenna? This piece is definitely made outside the US but I assume it still conforms to the FCC rules about RFID power... If I can modify it just a little to pick up my tag in my pocket I figure it wont hurt anybody.

I'm not an EE so I have no idea how to do it.. but what I have noticed is when we use small prox card readers they have a very small coil antenna and they're good for a few inches. The long range readers are several times larger... like the difference between a 2"x3" antenna and a 10"x10" reader. The read distance goes from 3" to 3' when we swap the readers.