3D Printing????

SmokinBBC

Don't know if this was posted before......is it real?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

IF that is really REAL, the owners of that company are instant billionaires and the machine tool operators are outta business soon as they can do THAT with real metal, next step......

as it is, talk about making prototype engineering work easy......

It's real.

That is just one of the technologies used. Some are powder, some are liquid. Some of the powder machines can laser sinter metals for reproduction of metal parts.

There are tradeoffs. The parts are not as strong as an injection molded or cast part. But they are a quick way to do design checks.

It's real.

That is just one of the technologies used. Some are powder, some are liquid. Some of the powder machines can laser sinter metals for reproduction of metal parts.

There are tradeoffs. The parts are not as strong as an injection molded or cast part. But they are a quick way to do design checks.

I"m thinking instant product/prototype development for custom kludges for trade shows, target marketing .....the type shit I did in the lab 25 years ago, the hard way....drawings, sub assy farmed out, circuit cards made, modifications on top of mods.....and what with wide customer uses, 1/2 of them did not actually work that well, just too small a company trying to get bigger....:banghead::ill::shocking:

One of my colleague at work (my deskmate actually) built himself one of those machines for 1000$. The result quality is nowhere near what is show on the video, but yeah, you just don't want to know how much cost the professional machines.
It makes piece of abs plastic, quiet sturdy.
Recently he did a piece for a friend to fix his toaster.
Those things are amazing.
Add a 3D scanner and the possibilities become endless.

By the way, he proposed me to make parts for the corvette, but so far I didn't found what to ask for.
If you got ideas let me know.

Hood scoops, Interior moldings, or basically anything non-structural.

What about a nice molded pillar mount for extra guages? Like the kind you see on some race applications or even some ford/chevy trucks. CAD it, print it and paint to match? Or even get the correct color in the printer?

Sorry, I might have been more specific : his machine car print something that fits in a 3"x3"x3" cube, maybe more, but not much.

I had access one of these machines at school... It was only an ABS plastic printer, but you could print out working assemblies. We made quite a few parts for our formula SAE car to test fit during the build.
I snuck in a cad drawing of the autometer gauge bracket for my car... came out pretty nice.