Making a sharper shark

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
Ok, here's yet another crazy/naive idea.
I'm thinking how it would be if the main lines of the body, essentially the fender one was sharper.
The lines are pretty sharp already, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to go further, get rid of any rounding off.
What would it take?
Maybe bondo ?(should not be strong enough), maybe glassing some fiberglass thread along the lines? what do you think?

How would it look? I'm still heading for satin/matte dark paint, and I got the feel it would give the car an even meaner look.:evil:
but I'm also taking esthetic advice :tomato:
I'm a newborn in the vette world, maybe some of you saw some custom wayback in the good ol' time (70's?) with such mod.

thum_12694e0861264e549.jpg

Kinda sharp on the fender lines - and hunkered down look. Something like that? Wicked!
Cheers - Jim

DAMN, now I look at those headlights, and wonder about doing that treatment to my car....the mid year look on a shark....trick is, how to get a motor to do that easy?? cheep?? ONE motor, both sides...figger 3/8" flex cable like a speedo cable..?? ditch the chrome bumper entirely....

:eek::smash:

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstood, I have to plan to change the body shape, just make the body lines pointier.

I get your idea, thought about it myself a few times. I don't think I like the idea of bondo though. It's good for filling in low spots on smooth panels, but I would avoid it at all costs on a crease, especially the length of a fenderline. I think your second idea is far better. It will also be far more labor intensive to get right, but when it's done right, it will be right. The only thing I think that will make it hard is determining the transition from that knife edge sharpness to the roll out smoothness around the back of the forward fender arches and front of the rear fender arches. You will have to determine if you want a smooth transition from that sharp edge to the flat panel, or if you want the fender to stay sharp to the end, almost like it cuts into the flat panels. I think that could look cool if done right but foresee that being far trickier to pull off than the smooth transition.

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstood, I have to plan to change the body shape, just make the body lines pointier.

SHOWME - aka Hammerhead - did some drawings as he got started on the front end. Might be over on DC.
You got a pic/sketch that shows what you mean?

Cheers - Jim

I did that to mine. I used epoxy/mat behind the front wheel beauty line to build that. The doors didn't need much so I just used epoxy w/filler added. The rear quarters are already pretty sharp. Here are some before/after pics. It actually makes the car look lower, especially the pointy forward door edge--got that idea from Tracdogg.

100_3190.jpg

2011-06-18001002.jpg

Do it. You can always sand/round it off if you don't like it. Shoot it with a flat spray bomb to get an idea of finish.
I would think a glass up with resin would do it...but I'm no body work guy.

Thanks to all of you, it feels good to know I'm far from being the only one thinking about that

I get your idea, thought about it myself a few times. I don't think I like the idea of bondo though. It's good for filling in low spots on smooth panels, but I would avoid it at all costs on a crease, especially the length of a fenderline. I think your second idea is far better. It will also be far more labor intensive to get right, but when it's done right, it will be right. The only thing I think that will make it hard is determining the transition from that knife edge sharpness to the roll out smoothness around the back of the forward fender arches and front of the rear fender arches. You will have to determine if you want a smooth transition from that sharp edge to the flat panel, or if you want the fender to stay sharp to the end, almost like it cuts into the flat panels. I think that could look cool if done right but foresee that being far trickier to pull off than the smooth transition.
Wow CD, I didn't even think that far, you're right, there will be some decision to be made for the transition

thum_12694e0861264e549.jpg

Kinda sharp on the fender lines - and hunkered down look. Something like that? Wicked!
Cheers - Jim
LOL, not that far. All the mod I'm planning are from the stealth department, just like my rear window mod. It must look like a stock vette, with a little "je ne sais quoi".

SHOWME - aka Hammerhead - did some drawings as he got started on the front end. Might be over on DC.
You got a pic/sketch that shows what you mean?

Cheers - Jim
I did a quick search on DC, with no luck. I'll PM him for infos.
Thanks

I did that to mine. I used epoxy/mat behind the front wheel beauty line to build that. The doors didn't need much so I just used epoxy w/filler added. The rear quarters are already pretty sharp. Here are some before/after pics. It actually makes the car look lower, especially the pointy forward door edge--got that idea from Tracdogg.

100_3190.jpg

2011-06-18001002.jpg
I didn't really think about the side line (that what you pics was showing right?), but you're right, they also have to be done as well.

Do it. You can always sand/round it off if you don't like it. Shoot it with a flat spray bomb to get an idea of finish.
I would think a glass up with resin would do it...but I'm no body work guy.
Hell yes I'm gonna trying this out.

That was a lot of encouraging inputs, I feel reassured, you guys roxx :drink:

Sorry I'm late! I have a ton of build pic's.I was tryin to make my version of the ultimate shark.I was battling with lift and cooling issues so I made my first front only to change it again later to a more aggressive look and let more air in and out of the engine bay with more down force.I was a fan of the Mako II and the grand sport so my headlites was a pull from both combined.I must have made 100 renderings before I settled.
hammerIIoption.jpg
This was with a lexan hood window and nostril.(Before the C-6 and ZR-1 came out)
hammerfront.jpg
First frontend.(saturn lights but not mean enough and packed more air than could escape.)
3modnewhammer.jpg
Louveredhood.jpg
This was what I settled on.
Showtime010.jpg
It took alot of work, the whole front had to be dropped from the wheelwells forward.
alot of edge work done to it.It is done in glass and filler was only for smoothing imperfections.

Hope this helps.To be honest,The fenders are thick enough to sharpen the edges with out much else.You might just need to use lite filler to seal the pores in the bare glass.

Last edited: