1982 A/C Retro Fit with Sanden Compressor

gr8vet

Here ya go; instead of doing the complete Vintage Air system at $1200, I opted to swap out the compressor, condenser, of course a new accumulator, new orifice, and new hoses. Like everything else I have learned in life, just do it your self and it works out better. Crimp kit cost me $140, Vacuum pump ran $75. Compressor was $198, Horizontal flow condenser $148, hose kit $139. Bought the bracket kit, did not like the way it set things up so I modified it. Hose kit did not have fittings to mate to Accumulator not lower condenser back to evap. I just cut the old hoses and made a splice into the old hard line from condenser to evap. Spliced old line with fitting from accumulator, to suction side of compressor using a 12/10 splice connector. Doc's Blocks is a GREAT source for fittings, they have all the odd stuff we Vette people always seem to need.

Old system findings, which I attempted a retrofit 4 years ago with some outside help: Two of the old connections still had old black o rings, not good. The orifice was inserted wrong, upside down, by Local Shop, go figure. Overall maybe 2-3 cups of oil poured out, not much room left for 134a, plus I understand that this can settle in the condenser and make it's efficiency worse than it all ready is.

Pulled vacuum on new system held for 9 hours no loss. I let the vacuum pump run over night to be dang sure any moisture was vaporized.

Added 3 cans 134a so for, understand it will take 4 total, 3 #'s. With 3 cans, fan in front of car, today at 93 in my shop, humidity 85%, I had 175 on high side, and 30 on low side, running 41 degrees at vent, wahoo! Will be better once on road. Barely drags the engine down when clutch kicks in. 4HP to run this compressor, old compressor takes 18 HP.

I think that the old system, if oiled, and o-ringed correctly, and evacuated correctly would operate just fine, not this cold, but good enough.

Do it yourself! Cocoa beach, here we come!

later
tt

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

Looks like the same compressor I just installed on my Mustang, the AC kit is awesome.
Did you check the low side pressure when you rev the engine ? 30psi at idle is a little low, might need more 134a.... what pressure is the low side switch set to? Keep in mind that if you adjust the low pressure switch a little too far "down" (counterclockwise turn) it will freeze the evaporator. Ask how I know :clap:

Ya know what, I am using the original pressure switch, probably from 1982! What kinda settings should we have? And, I did crimp in a Vintage Air switch on high side, as instructed, I believe it is a binary switch, not sure on settings, but guess it should be set correctly for 134. Just checked site, their switch is 30 low and 406 high.

Yes, still have 1 12oz can of 134 to go. Had to shut down last night to deal with other stuff.

Hey, we will see you guys in about a week and half! We will be there Friday afternoon, driving coast down.

Did you register for HRPT? If registered you also have the opportunity to do the NASA tour and drive / cruise the complex, they said this was a one time opportunity to do this, had never been done before.

Last edited:
The high side switch at 406psi seems a little high, I don't think I've seen more than 300psi on the high side. The compressor should have a relief valve, Sanden service manual is here:

http://www.erareplicas.com/gtman/ac/sanden.pdf

Section 18 talks about the valve but doesn't say at what pressure it blows out...

The low side switch at 30psi might be as low as you can go, see if the compressor cycles and try to set the pressure lower to see when it freezes your evaporator.

i adjusted my low side switch too low, the compressor would stay on too long and I had ice coming out of my vents, then i had to turn the heat on to melt the ice from the evaporator :lol:

You still have the stock evaporator right above the exhaust ??

Yes, my whole idea was to leave the dash, evap, and controls intact.

Added another can and half this afternoon. Lower side now at 40-45 according to engine rpm. I did opt for the hugest, biggest, condenser they had, guess it takes a little more to fill this system up. Still blowing 40 degrees at idle.

Looks good. I have been thinking about doing something similar myself. I would really like some more info on the parts you used this. Where did you get your condenser at? What orifice tube did you use?

Glad to hear about this. I'm considering doing pretty much the same thing. I think I still have my old Harrison compressor somewhere, but will probably put it up on CF or Fleabay and see if anyone wants to help fund my project. I like the Sanden units and have heard they're good, reliable compressors. More than I can say about the Delphis GM is using now. :cussing:

Hey guys, sorry for such a delay, been wound up lately.

Used the Sanden 508 compressor, $198. Vintage air bracket, but modified it, $95. Vintage Air Hose kit, $139, would not do this again, go to Doc's Blocks and get everything you need, much less. Vintage Air Condenser, 03263 VUC $148. I also added a hi low switch and left the old one in series also. Vintage Air 24679 $29.00. Got most everything at Summit Racing.
Grabbed a new accumulator at Advance auto, used what ever orifice tube listed at Advance.

Add 3 #'s of 134, that is it, no more, no less. It cycles in spec according to AC Data. I am now running 39 degrees at vent in 95 degree temp. Compressor hardly drags engine down when it kicks on.

tt

Good stuff. Will be looking at fixing my AC sometime this year. Any idea how different a '79 is?