WTF? C2/C3 Wilwood direct replacement caliper

All these steeroid, jeep box, hydroboost advocates need to understand this.

Steeroids doesn't feel over assisted, I like the wayit feels when it comes to the amount of assist. But for the rest, it has poor self centering, no real feedback, feels mushy and the input shaft is scary as hell.

You say the amount of assist feels proper but then say it has no real feedback and feels mushy. Maybe we're splitting hairs but the bottom line is its no good for performance driving.

Well, really for balls out racing are there any race cars with power assist ANYTHING?? I really dunno, one of the little SCCA type crap my friends played with did.....

cant see a drag racer needing it....

NASCAR?? I think I maybe heard power assist something, but don't remember what, and could be rong too.....

Autocross?? not with a stock shark setup for nuttin....unless stock class restricted.....not any reall hard ball autocrosser I seen, last shark I seen years ago doing that was pure race setup...didn't see under the hood, but from looks of that car, I doubt any assistance of any type....

:fishing:

Hydoboost unit 14lbs

Booster 8.5 lbs

Hey, I have an idea. Some one should buy my Hydroboost and do a comparison!:bump:

Plus the weight of the power steering pump, lines and the increased engine drag from the power steering pump.

MY car had power steering/brakes from the git go, so no weight gain....car weighed a dead even 3300 lbs on the county scale here with the older TPI setup, maybe cut 10 lbs of aluminum off for the LT1 setup....maybe...

:drink:

It is not over assisted indeed, the wheel is pretty hard to turn. Harder than 0with the stock unit. About the same as a C4 corvette or a 3rd gen. The feel is uncommunicative though with the play in the input shaft due to all those joints and the rack being rubber mounted, the brackets flexing and most likely the frame too. it;s no good for performance or sporty street driving at all. IMO it's downright scary for instance when you need to do some quick evasive maneuvers. What bothers me even more is the lack of self centering, you have to center the wheel yourself and it's NOT a problem with the caster settings on the car.

I presume you talking of a steeroids setup.....judging from the way some of them brackets have broken up, and from so many guys having problems adjusting that center shaft support, and the flex in the center output plate, what with the angles and loading, and to boot I put in a '72 valving set into my '88 serpentine pump back when I got the car in '94-5
so with those changes and the goals of us all being all over the map, much less tire differences.....I dunno how to take some of these comments....
I can say this, the amount of deflection in my rack in a driveway is about zero, on account of I triangulated off the lower clamp down LO and forward as much as possible....I also did a VBP steering support/strut from upper arm to arm....it works well, so far....

all these changes and then the wheels/tires....too vague for words to be meaningful I suspect....

:trumpet:

I think I'm going to do the jeep box maybe sometime during December

It shouldn't take long to do at all

I've never seen one without power steering

You won't ,,,Bodine was the first to use it in 69, here's a power steering box off a road course cup car. Look at the ratio. I wouldnt think about going back to a stock manual or stock power steering for hillclimbing. Manual box is fine on my stock c2 with skinny tires, big ass steering wheel and street driven.

But, I prefer the feel of manual brakes and dont like any excessive pedal movement.

Depends on what the driver likes, for each his own.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NASC...3999QQitemZ260318273999QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fPart

F1 uses a power assisted rack which has a adjustment for how much assist they need, the adjustment is located on their steering wheel.

IRL is the hold out, but I think you will see it real soon. They are debating it now.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago some F1 teams still had manual steering. I know for a fact that Arrows didn't have power assisted steering until the last or before last year they operated i F1. Probably the same for Minardi back then.

A couple of years ago some F1 teams still had manual steering. I know for a fact that Arrows didn't have power assisted steering until the last or before last year they operated i F1. Probably the same for Minardi back then.

that NASCAR box CJR, there looks like the Jeep box we refer to ....interesting....stock GM production from the appearance, anyway....not the arm, just the box.....

ARROW?? what sort of car is that??? I used to own a little Mutsobitchy made thing that was a hatchback 4 cyl 4-5? speed thing for Plymouth, it was left over on the lot in June? '79 and was a '78 m/year......just when the Sha of Iran looked unstable, I ditched my Pontiac and bought that, because our commute was some 15 miles of heavy traffic ONE WAY.....I used to fill up the 3/4 Chebby van (50 gallon capacity with extra tank I added) about 3X through that shortage, and pumped it into the Arrow....which got 33 mpg on the road....about 28 or so in traffic.....

:shocking::beer:

It's based on a saginaw 800 series box. They are front mounted, front steering boxes, our cars have rear mount/rear steer. My C10 truck has that style box and I can tell you, the truck steers so much better than the C3 steering, it has better road feel and feedback. Also, it is not over assisted at all.

Arrows :
A.jpg

UMMM.....:eek::gurney: I C the use of the name alright.....

slight difference.....that would have made the commute a bit more fun....

Little chippies have SO much advantage in motor sports, or even any racing where they are a passenger of ANY kind....Jockeys are all small guys for that reason...

so if Danica the lollypop has a unfair advantage over Dinosaurs, well so be IT....

she looks better on the winners stage than some bearded old phart.....

:smash::smash::lol::thumbs:

Maybe I can get get some credit from the two crappy steering boxes they rebuilt, then I can get some front calipers :D

Love it how "knowledgeable" they are about this stuff

Their points of interest when it comes to these calipers:

* Mounts to Stock Caliper Mounting Brackets
* Utilizes Stock Rotors
* Lighter Than Stock System

Who's gonna buy them because they're lighter? A couple of nutcases, who will buy them if you advertise them as the be all end all cure to shitty spongly leaky brakes with aerated fluid that deteriorates rapdidly because it also introduces moisture...yadda yadda.....

Love it how "knowledgeable" they are about this stuff

Their points of interest when it comes to these calipers:

* Mounts to Stock Caliper Mounting Brackets
* Utilizes Stock Rotors
* Lighter Than Stock System

Who's gonna buy them because they're lighter? A couple of nutcases, who will buy them if you advertise them as the be all end all cure to shitty spongly leaky brakes with aerated fluid that deteriorates rapdidly because it also introduces moisture...yadda yadda.....

:thumbs: Nutshell...

:fishing: