Rear calipers, where the bleeders goes?

"Hi redvetracr,
Do you remember those SS sleeved caliper you sold me recently?
Could it be possible that you would have mixed some parts?
Upon reassembling the parts and comparing them to the old calipers, it looks like the two rear caliper are passenger side.
I know I should have checked earlier.
Do you have more of these? Look like exchanging just on halve could fix the problem.
Let me know"
Denis

Your reply (no less, no more):

"look again, the outer halves are the same, the only difference in inners is the hardline goes in the back and the bleeder goes in the front, they look almost identical."
Howard

So yes I did a quick look, and yes I naively proposed exchanging the inner half, to save US money, and you just comforted me in my thinking.

I don't think he comforted your thinking in any way. He said to look again, as in to be sure you are correct before shipping anything. He says they look almost identical, as in it would be easy to mix them up.

cheap is fine with me :toothbrush:

if somebody wants to spend more money than he has to that's fine with me too, it sure helps the economy :D

Can you get these calipers at your local parts store and how much are these in Canada ?

rebuilt calipers at AutoZone are ss sleeved and under 70$

cheap is fine with me :toothbrush:

if somebody wants to spend more money than he has to that's fine with me too, it sure helps the economy :D

Can you get these calipers at your local parts store and how much are these in Canada ?

rebuilt calipers at AutoZone are ss sleeved and under 70$

My point. $70, and move on. Cheaper than fixing a bleeder port.

the OP posted an updte with two new issues yesterday, bad mating surfces and a bad bleeder port. Nothing wrong with that ??

Actually buying another caliper and moving on was just was I did.
It's just that I'm having bad luck those days.
I'm working with the guy I bought it from on the crushed bleeder seat issue.
If I can't get it resolved, I'll seek for a new or rebuilt one in the US, even with the core charge it's the next best thing I can do.
To put things in perspective, a C3 caliper here at NAPA cost 220$ + core charge, and mind you they're not even SS sleeved.
I'm getting my passport renewed (I went in the washing machine) and setting up a drop box a the border, I'm done with unsane shipping prices.

the OP posted an updte with two new issues yesterday, bad mating surfces and a bad bleeder port. Nothing wrong with that ??
To be correct, bad bleeder issue is about the new caliper I bought and it's being resolved in good faith.

But yeah, the matting issue is about the set I originally bought from who I don't even want to name anymore.
But I don't expect anything anymore from this side, he made clear he didn't take any responsibility.

....... this issue seems to be behind.

I agree. We aren't talking a bad engine here, just a small piece of iron. Take it to PM's. :beer:

unfortunately i have to agree, it's probably best to take it as a "lesson learned", good thing it's only $50 or so for another caliper half (shipped) - it doesn't seem you can come to an agreement with redvetracr although obviously everybody here would prefer to see a happy ending and hopefully this doesn't end in a pi$$ing contest..... :wink:

Should have put wilwoods on. They're about 125 ea and the brackets can be found cheap.

Obviously it's getting hard to find any OEM calipers that aren't ragged out junk. Guys with experience should be able to spot that.

Aluminum calipers should be cheaper to ship.

Last edited:
Should have put wilwoods on. They're about 125 ea and the brackets can be found cheap.

Obviously it's getting hard to find any OEM calipers that aren't ragged out junk. Guys with experience should be able to spot that.

Oh well, I wanted to stop posting on this thread....
Turtle, that is an excellent idea of using universal calipers, definitely Vettemod.
It all boil down to the brackets, could elaborate on that?

Turtle, that is an excellent idea of using universal calipers, definitely Vettemod.

There are a few options now. You can get direct replacement wilwoods. You can get dynalite wilwoods and brackets. You can get superlites front/ dynalites rear and brackets. You can get a kit to put C5 calipers on the front.

cheap wilwood kits here
http://www.corvettengineering.com/

c5 kits here
http://www.vbandp.com/

There are a few options now. You can get direct replacement wilwoods. You can get dynalite wilwoods and brackets. You can get superlites front/ dynalites rear and brackets. You can get a kit to put C5 calipers on the front.

cheap wilwood kits here
http://www.corvettengineering.com/

c5 kits here
http://www.vbandp.com/
The wilwood direct replacement are nice but to expensive.
Same thing for the C5 caliper kit from vbandp, very nice but too pricey for me.
On the other end dynalite brake are really affordable and the corvetteengineering link is just excellent, their bracket is less than half the price a those summit sells.
I'm seriously looking into that option. Thanks alot Turtle.

wow, $45 for the brackets makes the Wilwood deal a very "interesting" option...

The calipers are $125 at Summit, they have quiet a few.... which ones are the correct ones for the C3 ???

Again, this is a good deal for someone who needs new brakes, I would expect these to be better than the stockers, even with O-ring conversion...

wow, $45 for the brackets makes the Wilwood deal a very "interesting" option...

The calipers are $125 at Summit, they have quiet a few.... which ones are the correct ones for the C3 ???

Again, this is a good deal for someone who needs new brakes, I would expect these to be better than the stockers, even with O-ring conversion...
All dynalite that match the rotor width should work (from my understanding)
On the website they recommend small piston caliper, not sure what he means by that. Maybe PMing the guy who run the business, he's 427v8 on CF.

this appears to be a good deal on wilwood stock aluminum replacements. I think you said standard rebuilt pig iron is $220 up there.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-...by-wilwood-front-replacement-caliper-kit.html

i think he (Keith 427v8) had switched over to the narrow dynalite which has a different mounting spacing 3 something inches apart and thicker pads which is a good thing. I have his earliest brackets wich fit the standard dynalite which mounting holes are 5 something inches apart

Last edited:
most of those aftermarket wilwood calipers use either the 5.25 or the 3.5 pattern.