SmkKuWph.jpg
hmmm..
G8jBiNuh.jpg
there we go
1GwjgPyh.jpg
I guess it was pretty easy
7bdKTSoh.jpg

(Though not related to your effort...)
I've had a spool and spool gun for a long time.
Never even considered using it - until now.
Oh boy more online research required!
And, yeah, another bottle of Gas...

Thanks Guys! (y)

Cheers - Jim

i would load that up with aluminum wire and go to town!

onward now that paint is applied
fit up the radiator holder
AA1bYUMh.jpg
to attach the fan, nutserts
d9deZbIh.jpg
next step
pozb1wbh.jpg
then bend an angle to hold the bottom in place
GdDftOsh.jpg
the benefit is I can lift the fan out without the radiator attached
xR7FJeGh.jpg
then time to weld the frame extensions in place - the problem is I never really had a good place to put tow hooks - you know, the required things to be on the track....
WMnIVeEh.jpg

picked up some metal to build a cross brace
w1hujuBh.jpg
and built it
njYl9RQh.jpg
then installed everything
LoIvHuMh.jpg
if you're thinking "that's pretty close" you'd be wrong, it's too close... so much stuff in such a small place
chw6Rukh.jpg

last night, issues
uJNOrwXh.jpg
and now fixed
CkzO7jWh.jpg
new issue.... making the old upper hose work
uJNOrwXh.jpg
cut the offending angle off
cEn0jroh.jpg
then weld back on
bawHvJTh.jpg
and fit
9irlFWMh.jpg
still have to put a bleed valve on top but close
Q8XDHOuh.jpg
moved the temp sensor from the front to the top
9irlFWMh.jpg
I swear I should put a zipper to take the hood off...
xhFWBLwh.jpg
another view
0VkVcLxh.jpg

time to finish up the cooling system
OhnRb2qh.jpg
plumb the tank
tiLGaXFh.jpg
first, paint the mount
PeT6adBh.jpg
then the layout
Nh3I99uh.jpg
Thursday, the stainless upper hose was in progress. Needed a bleeder as this is the highest point
uFXAme8h.jpg
because the metal is only 16 ga, I put a plug in the top then tapped it for the bleeder
OtiR169h.jpg
finished here
PqsvM9zh.jpg
xlbFMCdh.jpg
you know, I could have finished this all pretty, but f*** that - gotta give the haters something to hate on
bOe6mcah.jpg
then a solid aluminum tube for the lower hose
ks7rVwIh.jpg
once mounted
time to connect the AN side
fZUTOEsh.jpg
on unfinished tasks.... painted the lower valence
uk5xUB7h.jpg
we end on my favorite task... wiring... it was comforting to read that my plan will void the warranty
9Mk75qWh.jpg
this isn't the void part... but I can't imagine putting the controller on the bumper support is a recommended procedure
ZlRO287h.jpg
grounding done (now we're voiding)
6t8Zxh3h.jpg
and the cooling system is holding fluid just fine...

List to finish this round

1) finish fan system - that includes a switch to power the fan and the water pump while I'm sitting between rounds
2) attach the side pipes
3) wrap the sidepipes
4) make it so the gas tank can't slide in its straps (yeah, really)
5) tow hooks
6) reinstall interior
7) build air cleaner
8) tune....
9) build rear cover/defuser
10) install front spoiler

*eventually build an exhaust system that's side pipe but actually doesn't kill power and is tunable
*put dual adjustable coilovers

SBG ...you know, I could have finished this all pretty, but f*** that - gotta give the haters something to hate on

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien, Voltaire
The better/best/perfect is the enemy of the good.

Also reported as displayed on the factory wall of the MiG plant in Soviet Union as
Better is the enemy of Good Enough

Cheers - Jim

lower valence installed
O7a0k06h.jpg
this removed. I don't need it. Called Derale today, we talked about what I was doing and cleared up a misconception..... that they are computer controlled motors. They're not in this case, it's a 2 speed motor thus I can control it with my Holley computer. Key here, if you're copying, is you MUST start the fan on low speed then double the speed by adding power to the high side of the motor.
hFemfrbh.jpg
and wired
a78Zg8Ph.jpg
With substantially tuning, it's drivable now
but
I still need an air cleaner
bdaSrqph.jpg
hmm
2rEWiD0h.jpg
probably this
xWufxZhh.jpg
all i have to do now is build it
BwLYBDnh.jpg

The tape gives a great visual to help flesh out the design. Great idea!

...now just to make it out of metal
You have that skill. I have 'glass.
Like the layout. Would be interesting to work the sides.

I found an outfit that does that for conical filters:
Here is a quick pull from their page:
1707940353898.png

My quick impression in CAD (for your rectangular filter):
1707940399404.png

You know me; I would build it out of foam, cut, shape, file and cover with a foam-safe sealer. Then I'd lay up the 'glass and then melt out the foam. I don't weld like you do, but take this approach.

I havent measured the Eventuri setup, but the contraction ratios on windtunnels is typically 4 or 6:1. [Its been a few years so I had to look it up!]
The one I've sketched is pretty close @ narly 3:1. Just looking at your plan - it looks close to almost 6:1.
Recall, the intake area to a radiator is 1/6 the radiator area, but that is a different issue. Here, I think you want enough flow and then constrict it to get max input to the engine. I'd say it is a good choice you'r making.

On the campre van, I've removed all the "standard intake gear" and went to a Cold Air Intake. May follow your work here and make a mod to its LS engine as you are doing here. But first - gotta' get wheels on the ground!

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
first... trim the tray to make more sense then do a first piece
K27PmTmh.jpg
then a top piece
V9UODnFh.jpg
next side panels
Zejb2Dhh.jpg
o4tOdoch.jpg
other side.... keep in mind the motor is off-centered from GM so steering and brakes can be in the engine compartment... not as noticeable until you do something like this
bHGuH7Th.jpg
finished product.... well, finished CAD
xMLTNhuh.jpg

tomorrow, make this out of aluminum

You have that skill. I have 'glass.
Like the layout. Would be interesting to work the sides.

I found an outfit that does that for conical filters:
Here is a quick pull from their page:
View attachment 56587

My quick impression in CAD (for your rectangular filter):
View attachment 56588

You know me; I would build it out of foam, cut, shape, file and cover with a foam-safe sealer. Then I'd lay up the 'glass and then melt out the foam. I don't weld like you do, but take this approach.

I havent measured the Eventuri setup, but the contraction ratios on windtunnels is typically 4 or 6:1. [Its been a few years so I had to look it up!]
The one I've sketched is pretty close @ narly 3:1. Just looking at your plan - it looks close to almost 6:1.
Recall, the intake area to a radiator is 1/6 the radiator area, but that is a different issue. Here, I think you want enough flow and then constrict it to get max input to the engine. I'd say it is a good choice you'r making.

On the campre van, I've removed all the "standard intake gear" and went to a Cold Air Intake. May follow your work here and make a mod to its LS engine as you are doing here. But first - gotta' get wheels on the ground!

Cheers - Jim
4" x 13 1/2 is the opening size, the throttle body is 4 1/2 diameter.... all that math, repeat after me. I couldn't be a doctor because I failed A&P, I couldn't be an engineer because I suck at math, so the only profession left was the practice of law.... which it does make sense as I draw lines to envision where I'm going.... it's what I do all day.

I want to learn carbon fiber lay up so I can make new covers for the sidepipes... but that's 'on the list' and that list is pretty long and behind getting my plasma table reliably operational

That is going to have so much cool-factor when they check under the hood.
And, it is in a great place to avoid the radiator-heated air. Look forward to the install.

Cheers - Jim

That is going to have so much cool-factor when they check under the hood.
And, it is in a great place to avoid the radiator-heated air. Look forward to the install.

Cheers - Jim
oh no, I'm sure I'll continue to be dead last in the Design and Engineering section of Optima challenge. That said, this year I may pull the filter off in the speaking portion of that....

little further... the holder for the air cleaner
bought some 1/4"x3/4" aluminum bar
Jqf6TOAh.jpg
the last step after welding was positioning it in place
ZYJ5Hn2h.jpg