Plastic Fantastic 2

time for a test fit
M2wLqodh.jpg
KpVIRNzh.jpg
someone mentioned I don't know how to weld aluminum.... this wasn't me, it was magick
GbcVqTnh.jpg
then weld in the stand
0lTgLohh.jpg
then install the hood
lz7RvCRh.jpg
some say I don't learn - I say, see the hood and I'm checking clearance before I build the top piece? yeah, lurnin'
vpCEEMuh.jpg
and it clears... woo and hoo!
hFcsWF0h.jpg
time to cut out the top pieces
ANoIlQnh.jpg
then time to temper the metal
YSf76pIh.jpg
zy2h0Efh.jpg
soot
6cNdproh.jpg
and then I question why I didn't pick up 5152 or 3003 aluminum on Friday...
unXxr9rh.jpg

I'm going to try to bend this around but I give it about a 30% chance

onward back to metal manipulation
Phcq9zxh.jpg
key here is that this is hour 8 but only hour 2 of actual work.
IW57ddVh.jpg
you shall bend to my will
8uTcy60h.jpg
the hardest part was, of course, clamping. With aluminum, adding filler is almost mandatory - so you need at least 3 hands
58Jdhrah.jpg
and unlike steel, there is little memory to the metal, so you can distort it then tap it right back into shape
AsZh4Kvh.jpg
but lord knows there were some ugly welds to get it to stick together
h0dKWRDh.jpg
first fit
1uGnSxRh.jpg
then I needed to work on the pan portion and add flanges
6RmJ5qXh.jpg
and finish the bottom side
EEKAmf7h.jpg
it seems it worked
IR5g6s0h.jpg
well, would you look at that
ZgV6nFmh.jpg
but still, there is quite a bit more work, need to go square to round though I've found that preliminary-finish can help the process
pZ1U41Fh.jpg
all that work and I'm painting it black..
dDCbMjmh.jpg

Glad your post showed up this AM as I followed you on Corvetteforum. Love your work and problem solving.....it helps me in my 70' rebuild to think outside the box.
Crazy what one can do with a little effort and thought. :cool:
Best,
Brian

thanks

tonight was more of a void-the-warranty night then get anything done
a month from order to delivery.... which isn't bad, last year it was 6 months estimate
iX6bmj1h.jpg
they also wrapped it very well
5BfaHP2h.jpg
what I get? spoiler alert, it's a spoiler
EbOS47ch.jpg
and, of course, it doesn't fit
TXbjcaLh.jpg
I know, I know, what kind of fly-by-night supplier doesn't make a non-factory spoiler for a C3 Corvette with 2" flares?
thankfully, I know how to use these tools
yZjKOVHh.jpg
cut it apart, widen it 4"
LCHrqdNh.jpg
then figure out how to fill in the holes.... of course the curve isn't right either (which, tip for those following along, at SEMA, I spent some time understanding what the big builders do to make spoilers work.... simply put they cut the lower splash guard then rotate it to a more vertical orientation)... which is what I'll do next time
SxqFNXuh.jpg
then time to cut up the airbox again and make it fit better
08KYaDxh.jpg
and I still have a problem with it up against the hood... though I'm not sure I care - it's maybe 1/4" tall - given the hood flexes at high speed, a brace would actually kind of help. it doesn't rattle... but we'll see.... I also may decide to completely remake it
the transition from square to round isn't something I love - I dunno, I have a couple days before I can get back to this so between now and then, I'll think on it
1GtDN6Uh.jpg

started the day laying out another airbox....

finally came to this conclusion
3OMg4joh.jpg
the problem was, as is the case here, hood clearance
auKjIi5h.jpg
first I built an air cleaner retainer
81BVbt9h.jpg
envisioning tape
5AK2k4ih.jpg
then a cap
rGIIfikh.jpg
then a bit of checking
6Ns2Mczh.jpg
then finally a weld together... it will be black, but I'm still down 2 blocks - so not painting until done
dUS92HQh.jpg
then started working on these
jmH6vSTh.jpg
I've got short strand filler and I'll beeswax the body so it doesn't stick. I need these to bolt on.... that said, I will 3d scan them so I can print out new ones if needed

I'm exhausted.
err... I'm doing the exhaust
maybe both
hopefully this keeps the noise below the db limits at the track. If it doesn't... it doesn't
xcepeVuh.jpg
what are they... parts of the super quiet inserts I had in PF1 and also cones.... which seem to work pretty well at knocking the top off the noise without being a hp killer
KdDW1ath.jpg
time to wrap the new pipes
TDngV9mh.jpg
and kind of installed...
ngw7UT1h.jpg
I need to rewrap a bit of this pipe but bolting it onto the car will hopefully make that easier
rtqo2bAh.jpg
and yes, still more cutting to make it fit
95S3BSsh.jpg

I keep screwing with the 'attachments' for sidepipes. Today I gave up and welded the studs in place.
tenLYZ1h.jpg
in giving up, I went and got another roll of header wrap. much better
3V2FTY9h.jpg
installed
ybhTArYh.jpg
gfPC1f5h.jpg
in other news, I bought a sewing machine years ago to sew this wrap. for a billion reasons, biggest of which being I never remember to get black thread and edging.... I took it to a local upholstery shop - done in a day
ykOZWbTh.jpg

Borla mufflers have started selling a 1 to 4 to 1 transition piece. It might make a good slip in for side pipes.

I've see something analogous in gas turbine test stands to reduce noise (and cracking).

that's very interesting

finished by putting the trim back above the exhaust
EDND7aIh.jpg
then cleaned up and reinstalled panels
0AC76Rsh.jpg
wouldn't be a post without warranty destruction - the roll bar won't allow the trim at the top
zDrRishh.jpg
hooked up the wheel sensors...
8YBgBMwh.jpg
and that was it for tonight, thanks for looking

bonus clip - how to save silicone (or in this case, great stuff)... use a cap from a squeeze tube to cap the dispenser.
aLHdn6Kh.jpg

hooked up the wheel sensors...
8ybgbmwh-jpg.56675

Wheel speed sensor - or the "Turtles?" Can't read the display. What is the app?

TIA Cheers - JIm

beside working on the forklift and Blazer today.... worked on this... water has oil in it.... and there's a sound that sounds just like I used the wrong intake gasket.... F**K!!!!!
that said, I own the wrong gasket but I don't know why I have a coolant leak....
time to mark the area
netGVaCh.jpg
then get the bondo and mold release out
NFWNI4Kh.jpg
and stuffed
wr1Hdroh.jpg
then fill the other side as well
JMbjAT0h.jpg
there will be much shaping to this - also waiting for the right VPA to finish it - but it came apart easily
Eventually I'll do 3d modeling of this then might get them simply printed out of ABS or PLA. These are in harms way so having a way to easily replace them is good business.
then, while the mud was out
aHMjRlUh.jpg
I'll pull the intake tomorrow - gaskets are supposed to be here.... I'm concerned that it may not be the only problem... but we will see. I need this done so I get the Blazer done then the forklift and finally my wife's Jeep.... so I can get onto Anthony's pickup in August.... not a lot of time, a lot to do....

picture to remember where it faces so I can get it close when I put it back together... it's on TDC
cBllgdVh.jpg
after a full debrief, I dunno. It almost looks like the center bolts were leaking
CplX0JIh.jpg
note the wetness
QhnNj2Ph.jpg
this was no help
hqyBe7Jh.jpg
gaskets did tell the story of the vacuum leak but not the water leak
uCyHRs8h.jpg
cleaned it up
SEltRx0h.jpg
then quit for the evening - I need a tap to get the MAT sensor in the intake. I have no idea what FiTech's plan was for it but I need it so modification time

first drill and tap the sensor hole
pyG9EIMh.jpg
onward.... nice to see I get to resand the top piece
8oMcnOGh.jpg
intake is back on but I don't like how the flange bolts are holding it down so going to change them tomorrow (after the silicone sets up)
i9LBoOCh.jpg
SZ2eg0vh.jpg

FiTech tip. Don't use them.

In today's episode of "how can a manufacturer screw you up" we present this
GQ34USdh.jpg
if you use flange bolts, it will not fully contact the intake manifold - best yet, if you don't tighten them all down evenly, it'll just slightly offset the intake manifold making a good seal impossible.
change the bolts to bolt/lock washer and
vRKsN88h.jpg
and coolant goes in
zj1UoOJh.jpg
i6Wd0A5h.jpg
this after I build an adapter so the pressure doesn't bleed off through the overflow
MbezQtfh.jpg
then fish all the wires through and realize I don't have electrical tape....
7iOAa4Wh.jpg
mostly reassembled
F110IzWh.jpg

Reactions: rtj
reassembled with paint
aBbzpQjh.jpg
sFZxxi5h.jpg
then boots for the spark plug boots
RdmFcGNh.jpg
and finally, noise

and to explain, running rich and cylinder number 8 is MIA....
that said, warmed it up and it didn't seem to be leaking anything - and the fan came on....

Well, hopefully this will be a final installment on the EFI change.
built a bracket for the solid state relay
s5owDNP.jpg
wired the cheat devices and reinstalled the passenger seat
KbWAaWl.jpg
and took a few pictures of my very dusty car
lQ29XVl.jpg
I do have to finish the aero stuff and do some paint repair - but for now....
lgl82u0.jpg
it's done except for tuning.