A dumping ground for my rambles

100_0399.jpg

Check out the main body difference!

So I found a thread about using 4150 metering blocks on 4500 carbs to eliminate the troublesome intermediate circuit. So I did some investigating:

Here is what I found:
100_0406.jpg

The hole marked T is the transition circuit, the hole marked I is the Idle circuit, the 3rd is the intermediate circuit.

Up at the top are the High speed air bleed, the idle air bleed and the unused airbleed(x'ed out)

Now in a regular dominator carb the air bleed I have labeled IAB would typically be the intermediate airbleed and the x'ed out airbleed would traditionally be the idle airbleed.

In the next picutre you will see how a 4150 gasket lines up to the dominator mainbody
100_0407.jpg

As you can see it lines up perfectly absent the dominator intermediate circuit, and the above airbleed order changes.

So here is the pressure drop across a couple of common venturis:
http://www.ajdesigner.com/venturi/venturi_pressure_differential.php

(all based upon 180cfm flow and a density of 1.16Kg/m^3)

Holley 650: 4043 Pascal
Holley 750: 2334 Pascal
Dominator: 1090 Pascal

So lets look at what this means: I need a booster that will provide 3.71 times the gain as a holley stick booster, and/or 2.14 times the gain as a holley down leg booster.

Not quite sure how to figure that out.

http://www.brodix.com/heads/raceritesb.html
I think the brodix racerite heads are the right head for me. And they are pretty affordable.

http://www.gofastnews.com/board/tec...ct-review-1-aeds-1250-carb-too-big-350-a.html

I thought this was a fun article. I have since emailed Lars and he is no longer doing carb and distributers, but he did say a dominator will work fine but it will idle rich. I think I have found the solution to that problem (see above).

http://www.gofastnews.com/board/tec...t-review-4-afr-195-comp-eliminator-heads.html

I think this is fun for crazy 355 power. 584hp out of a 355. I am not going to use AFR heads, but some power is totally possible.

Last edited:
Fuel Injection....

CASE CLOSED.....

:harhar::trumpet:

Case is far from closed,FI is for those who only car about getting good fuel mileage and can't tune a carb properly. Now if we are talking about mechanical FI,thats different.

NOW the case is closed.

While I respect Gene's love of EFI, I just cant swing it.

I got my intake manifold in the mail. An offenhauser 6095 Super Sonic Intake.

Its pretty damn low profile for a dominator flanged small block manifold. its 4.625" on the front and 5.5" in the rear.

An Edelbrock RPM airgap is 4.2 and 5.25 for example (4.725")

This intake is 5.0625"

4.725+3-1.25 = 6.475 (I dont know how tall the intake roof is) is what will fit under a stock hood.

In my case 6.475-5.0625 = 1.4125 clearence with a stock hood.

If I get an L88 hood that adds 1.25" additional clearence so 2.66" clearence.

Its got a place for an oil filler tube as well. No more having to balance a funnel and a quart of oil at the same time through a breather grommmet.

I think Iron heads might be my hot ticket. Here's why.

1.) I dont have to mill the heads to get the compression I want. Just get a bowl blend and gasket match and I am good to go. Just get the 64cc chambers and go.

2.) I dont have to mess with my front suspension. I already have an iron head motor, so it should be a direct plug in.

3.) Its cheaper.

4.) The weight would be the same with an aluminum block big block, so I could go really big if I wanted to later down the road. without needing to mess with my front suspension.

I believe a 73 corvette with a big block 454 had a 47/53 weight distribution. Not to sure about an iron headed small block.

Apparently the iron headed small block had a weight distribution of 49/51
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=967

Last edited:
You know what would be awesome.

A crossram manifold with some road demon jr carbs. They have some nice annular booster primaries. Should help with the low speed drivability a bunch.

So I have been playing with Drag2000 and Dyno2000 with my thoughtful combo.

In any case. Its really interesting. When I play with the mild race tires, the super T10 and a 4.11 rear gear gets the job done the best at 10.400.

With Hi-po street tires:
A M21 or M22 with a 3.08 does the best at 10.917 crossing the line right at my top RPM in 3rd.

Theoretically anyway.

You need to take your car as is to an autocross or just a desserted area and just tear the shit out of it. Move from the theroretical to reality.

Do doughnuts, slide it around, create some tire smoke.

You seem depressed and constipated, so it'll do you a world of good.

You need to take your car as is to an autocross or just a desserted area and just tear the shit out of it. Move from the theroretical to reality.

I'm afraid Jim's right. Although you really seem to have learned your beans, your effort to seek perfection and balance will prove to be dissappointing. Too much thinking, and not enough wrenching.

I'm afraid Jim's right. Although you really seem to have learned your beans, your effort to seek perfection and balance will prove to be dissappointing. Too much thinking, and not enough wrenching.

GEE, is THAT why I"m still wrenching after 16 years???

oh well, time to go do some more wenching....

I think your right. I am now at the point that I have to talk to management and seek budget approval. (damn wives).

Probably going to have to liquidate a healthy amount of stuff.

I think your right. I am now at the point that I have to talk to management and seek budget approval. (damn wives).

Probably going to have to liquidate a healthy amount of stuff.

Another fire sale.? :yahoo: