A dumping ground for my rambles

Jake, you probably already know my opinion, but here goes anyway....

DPFI, and for cheep that means do a LT or L98 setup, used....freeking fuel is just too damn high for mortal man to be dumping down any street machine these daze....your last name Gates or Buffett......???

:crutches::crutches:

DPFI is for people who cannot tune a carb.
You know Gene,as much as you complain about fuel prices you should just sale the vette and walk everywhere. Oh wait then you would have nothing to gripe about.
Go with the carb :thumbs: you will be much happier and money ahead.

I messed with the jets,VS springs,power valves,but i could never get the full throttle hesitation out of it,talked to the tech's at BG and they agreed with what others have said and i had found out,VS do not work well with manual tranny's.
I installed a mechanical secondary carb and the problem was gone. There is a good explanation for it,it has to do with the vacume signal but i if i tried to explain it you would walk away going :huh:

:trumpet:

He can be trained!!

Yeah i tried to go the cheaper route to save money and some fuel,but all it did was cause headaches.:push:

I messed with the jets,VS springs,power valves,but i could never get the full throttle hesitation out of it,talked to the tech's at BG and they agreed with what others have said and i had found out,VS do not work well with manual tranny's.
I installed a mechanical secondary carb and the problem was gone. There is a good explanation for it,it has to do with the vacume signal but i if i tried to explain it you would walk away going :huh:

He can be trained!!

Yeah i tried to go the cheaper route to save money and some fuel,but all it did was cause headaches.:push:

Must be because you too hard headed to learn.....:pprrtt::shocking:

DPFI is miles ahead of any carb, only amateurs use carbs these days, those daze past some 20?+ years ago.....when is the last time you ever saw a carb on a automobile with gas engine??? NEW that is....

:gurney::banghead:

He can be trained!!

Must be because you too hard headed to learn.....

No i just wanted to here you rant and rave a little bit more :pprrtt:

Must be because you too hard headed to learn.....

No i just wanted to here you rant and rave a little bit more :pprrtt:[/QUOTE]

:waxer::shocking::hi:

He can be trained!!

DPFI is miles ahead of any carb, only amateurs use carbs these days, those daze past some 20?+ years ago.....when is the last time you ever saw a carb on a automobile with gas engine??? NEW that is....

Only a Green Weenie would put EFI on a carbed vehicle...to save gas and the environment...........

:tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato:

He can be trained!!

Only a Green Weenie would put EFI on a carbed vehicle...to save gas and the environment...........

:tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato:

Yeah and not a one of them can prove that EFI is good for the environment,they have never been proved right not once.

That is an exact quote :quote: from our resident Green Weenie,MR VETTE

:stirpot:

Yeah and not a one of them can prove that EFI is good for the environment,they have never been proved right not once.

:stirpot:

Now THAT's funny right there.:smash:

What the hell is an AC delete kit? A wrech set to take it all off? It's not like a serpentine setup or something.

Its a fiberglass cover to mount the fan too and cover the hole.

:tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato:[/QUOTE]

:stirpot:[/QUOTE]

Of course we don't want to lower operating costs do we?? my car went from 12-14 mpg to 18-24 mpg with no other changes than L98 injection and serp drive/electric fan with the OEM muncie and same 336 gears as now....

making about 300+ miles between fillups possible.....

then there is the superior starting/running////long as the injectors are clean that is....techron...if a stick shift, the engine can lug down in high gears and not have a huge bucking issue, no problems with WOT and bogging because some spring is not adjusted, the thing flat works...and fits under the hood, and plainly LOOKS more modern, like someone of intelligence worked on it, showing some innovation, any neanderthal can park a carb and a tall intake on any engine, and call it a hotrod.....

:evil::gurney::banghead:

...any neanderthal can park a carb and a tall intake on any engine, and call it a hotrod.....

:evil::gurney::banghead:

You must not have seen the AFR graphs on DC dyno day. Carb tuning is more difficult than FI tuning IMO. The only variables that can't be controlled with a computer are injector size and PSI, unless I'm forgetting something.

When you add boost to an FI engine, you add some bigger injectors, up the fuel pressure and voila, the comp takes care of the rest. Add boost on a carbed engine, you'd better rework the whole damn carb. FI is not difficult, just plug and play. Admittedly what you did was more complicated, adding FI to an engine that was no orig eqip. with it.

Last edited:
So I have a (used) set of 396 stroker pistons (3.875" stroke, 4.030 bore) they are in theory 1.0625 in compression height.

A set of 355 pistons for a 6.2" rod has a compression height of 1.061 from KB

So my 396 pistons have .002 more compression height. But if I deck my block to say 9.003 I should be good.

And on top of all that I just need a 270 buck set of rods and some rings and my rotating assembly is good to hook.

What do you guys think about rings?
I am leaning towards the Total Seal Classic Racing Rings (CR369030)

Last edited:
So I got myself a dominator carb I am going to mess with for awhile. I am finding lots of good tuning information.

But tonights research assignment is to see how tall of a manifold I can fit under my hood.

Lots of measuring to do.

Supposedly all ecklers hoods are measured from the water rails on the fenders. So the high rise hood will give me 4.625" from the frame rail clearence at the carb. The L88 hood will give me 4.125"

My existing intake should be 4.2" tall, and I think has a 1.25" drop base on the manifold with a 3" filter.

I am looking at about 6.5" tall intake manifold and a carb that is about .25" taller than a 4150. So I need about 3" clearence between my existing aircleaner and this measured 4.125" above the water rails.

I have a big bar clamp that I am going to spread across the hood and measure both sides. Then I will calculate the distance above that height that I will of hood clearence. Then using another ruler I will measure down to my existing air cleaner. I will record that number and add the previously calculated additional clearence. If that number is <=3 I am good to hook.

One of these days i will have a high rise hood so i can put a taller intake on my motor. let us know what you go with.
Have any pic's????????

OK here we are:
An ecklers high rise hood has 4.625" clearence at this point of measurement
100_0397.jpg

As you can see my bar clamp is roughly 4" from rail. So the tallest hood I can get from a catalog gives me 4.625" and the L88 hood gives me 4.125" clearence.

As you can see from this picture I have 1.875" additional clearence to the top of the bar:
100_0398.jpg

A couple of other measured dimensions.
My edelbrock performer 600 is 3.375" tall by my measurement
My holley Dominator is 3.25" tall. (The safety plate will take up the extra difference in carb height so it is a wash)

So realisitically with my dominator carb and a flat bottom intake with a 2" filter can(there is no drop base for a 14" aircleaner on a dominator).

I can use 4.2+1.875 = 6" manifold height

So with an L88 hood I am restricted to a 6" tall manifold, and with the high rise hood I could use a 6.5" manifold. (leaving around .125 fudge factor)

So at a minimum I would have to use the ecklers high rise hood to clear the intake, carb, and air cleaner.