Rear calipers, where the bleeders goes?

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
My sleeved calipers came disassembled and I'm confused about where the plug and the bleeders goes on the rear calipers.
I couldn't find real info, but all the pictures I could find show the plug at the back of the caliper, alongside the line connection, and the two bleeder at the front of the caliper.
Am I right?

Sorry the shot is a little confusing, but the this angle is essentially looking out from under the car. The side you see is the side normally on the inner side of the car. Where the brake fluid is on the right side would be angled down when mounted. That where the brake line is connected. Next to that (top right of picture) you can see a plug. This is not a bleeder. On the left in the pic, you can see both bleeders, one per half. As Twin Turbo said, they are always at the top when mounted.

DSC00767.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thanks, so you both guys are confirming what I was thinking.... so now I know there is something wrong with my calipers, at least one of them.
On the driver side caliper the hole for the plug on the outer half is at the top and the hole for the bleeder is a the rear/bottom (the line connection side).
Time to get back to who sold them to me.

well, tried that, but when I put the bleeder on the highest position, it looks wrong, sticking out way too much.
Same thing for the plug on the lowest position, it doesn't seem to seat on anything.
I'll post picture this evening.

I feel the bleeders should be flush, but if you look at the plug in my pic, it isn't flush and there isn't a leak. IIRC, All of my plugs on all calipers are like that. I've never screwed with the plugs, though...I just assumed that was normal.

Sounds like you got two right side calipers. Can you post up a pic with the caliper mounted so we can see what you're talking about?

here are a few photos: note that there is a crossover passage on only one end of the calipper, you cannot simply flip it and use it on the opposite side.

2149746af86f3af.jpg

the asembled caliper in the background is one of the fronts, the two halves with the smaller pistons is a rear calipper.

214976842150057.jpg

If I remember correctly the crossover passage is on the bottom where the plug and the inlet is, the two bleeders are on top - this way both calipper halves can be bled individually.

Last edited:
here are a few photos: note that there is a crossover passage on only one end of the calipper, you cannot simply flip it and use it on the opposite side.
So that infirm the statement made earlier that rear caliper outer halves are interchangeable, right?
That would explain my problem, because when I bought them I received two passenger side rear calipers. We sorted this out with the seller by exchanging only a inner halve, maybe we should have change the entire caliper...
The seller is a forum member but I don't feel like ratting him out by respect, I'm sure it was a mistake.

So that infirm the statement made earlier that rear caliper outer halves are interchangeable, right?
That would explain my problem, because when I bought them I received two passenger side rear calipers. We sorted this out with the seller by exchanging only a inner halve, maybe we should have change the entire caliper...
The seller is a forum member but I don't feel like ratting him out by respect, I'm sure it was a mistake.

I didn`t say the halfs are interchangeable only that they are the same as far as bleeder and plug being interchangeable...

Denpo, I have 2 sets of brakes here on the shelves, one new set for the roller frame and the original one, when you come over bring the one you have and well see if we can make one good set for you out of this.

They might need to be sandblasted and resleeved but thats no big deal.

That's an awesome offer from 1Michel :thumbs:

You know, if you did swap the outer halves you might not even notice..... you're only getting hydraulic pressure to the inner two pistons but since the brakes on these old cars are so crappy to begin with.... :banghead::banghead:

You will see uneven pad wear but that only after a few thousand miles - earlier if you take the car to autocross events .....

I wonder how many are out there with only two pistons pressurized, not sure that the China rebuilder contracted by AutoZone know these details :lol:

Search no more :
16554e2f85eb454db.jpg
The problem is confirmed, I have two passerger rear outer halves.

Denpo, I have 2 sets of brakes here on the shelves, one new set for the roller frame and the original one, when you come over bring the one you have and well see if we can make one good set for you out of this.

They might need to be sandblasted and resleeved but thats no big deal.
Thanks Michel, that's kind to you.
But I already have the stock ones in storage, and at the time I ruled out the re-sleeving, more expensive that buying new one.

...You know, if you did swap the outer halves you might not even notice..... you're only getting hydraulic pressure to the inner two pistons but since the brakes on these old cars are so crappy to begin with.... :banghead::banghead:

You will see uneven pad wear but that only after a few thousand miles - earlier if you take the car to autocross events .....

I wonder how many are out there with only two pistons pressurized, not sure that the China rebuilder contracted by AutoZone know these details :lol:
You got a spooky sense of humor sometimes.
Seriously I slap myself for not spotting that during reassembly.
I'm now gonna sort this out in private.
Thanks all of you for the inputs and all the pics.

You got a spooky sense of humor sometimes.

not just spooky..... It's called "European" :D

hey, if you need a correct calipper half we can just get you one from one of the parts stores here ... all of those are stainless sleeved and less than $70 for the entire calipper, just have to make sure it was rebuilt correctly and contains the calipper half that you need.... ....

have a look at my calipper rebuild thread - I encountered the two mating surfaces not being parallel.... now that really sux.... on my most recent rebuild I used Prussian blue to blue the two halves to ensure good sealing contact between the two halves... it CAN leak between the two halves even if you use a new O-ring.....

Glad you got it figured out. I don't see how swapping just half of the rear calipers would work. Fronts maybe, depending on which half you swap. But (now keep in mind I haven't had my brakes off in years) if I remember right, the machining for the lines vs. the bleeders is different, which means neither part is interchangeable. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for our brakes sucking, I'll argue that. They're heavy and kind of small by today's standards, but when they're working correctly they'll haul these heavy ass cars down in a hurry.

Glad you got it figured out. I don't see how swapping just half of the rear calipers would work. Fronts maybe, depending on which half you swap. But (now keep in mind I haven't had my brakes off in years) if I remember right, the machining for the lines vs. the bleeders is different, which means neither part is interchangeable. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for our brakes sucking, I'll argue that. They're heavy and kind of small by today's standards, but when they're working correctly they'll haul these heavy ass cars down in a hurry.
Thing is I already had the other (inner) half caliper changed months ago, when I realized the vendor sold me two rear passenger caliper.
He proposed to only swap the inner half arguing the outer ones was interchangeable.
Well, not so.
So back to square one.
It will be the second time I'm sending back those heavy halves back to the US, the more it goes the less good the initial deal becomes.
And one more delay *sigh*
:hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit: