Would there be any interest.....

BigBlockTank

Tucson, AZ Not heaven, but it's a toll free call f
in a 1, 2 or even a 3 day run around Tucson, and surrounding area? I would put it together, if there is!! We could do the "Boneyard", because I work there and the commander knows who I am. He would probably let us drive thru, instead of taking a bus. I'll check on that one.

We could include any of the areas around Tucson that everybody would like to see, Tombstone, Lake Patagonia, Mt Lemmon, Bisbee, and any of the little towns that everybody would like to see. Just do a southern AZ google search/map and pick out some places, we'll do it.

Pick a time frame too. Would everybody like to make day trips, coming back to a motel/hotel every day? Would you want to make arrangements for each stop? What do you want to do?

Is there enough interest for me to just put together a day, with a BBQ picnic at the end? Let me know:yahoo:

Is the "boneyard" the airplaine junkyard? I have always wanted to see that.

Yes, the "boneyard", aka AMARG or Aircraft Maintanence And Regeneration Group, is in fact one in the same. I'm pretty sure that we could take the better part of a day going thru there. Some of the areas are "off limits". And I'm sure nobody would have far reaching eyes to look into those areas, just no way that would happen.

Let me know if there is any interest, I'll be happy to set it up.

Tank

I said before i think this would be a hell of a trip to take sometime,and the boneyard,icing on the cake.

I'd sure shoot for that one- I went thru the Museum at PIMA a long time ago. AMARG would be a hoot too.

Southern Arizona, Tombstone, Bisbee, Chiricaua (spelling?) Ntl. Park are among the most beautiful places in this country.
Have fun out there !!!

Stay a night at the Copper Queen in Bisbee - ask for a group or AAA discount :drink:

I flew out to Phoenix last March and bought my '73 from a guy in Mesa. Before heading back, I stayed the night with my buddy who lives in Scottsdale. He insisted I make the drive from Globe Arizona over to Socorro New Mexico. He said it was one of the greatest drives in the southwest. So, I head out that way the morning after buying the Vette. About 1/2 way to Globe, traffic is backed up for miles. I sat in one spot in the middle of the road for around 30 minutes before turning around and heading for Tucson. I plan to get back over there someday and make that drive. I might be up for the trip you propose depending on the status of several projects I had planned to complete before taking a major road trip.

DC

OK, sounds like some interest in doing this. I'll start the process, and talk to the Commander about it, getting the clearance for us to drive our own cars thru to look at the boneyard.

Now, alot of what we'll drive on will be dirt, is that a problem for anyone?

I will find out what parts we can drive to, and make a map for everyone.

Is there interest for any other part of Tucson? Just let me know, I'll make it happen, hotels, motels, stay right on the base if I can get rooms?

I'm thinking this is gonna be a blast.

Tank :cool:

I may be in Phoenix ~April 18th. Not sure yet. I could drive down to Tucson for a couple of days. Sort of like to see the Chiricahua Nat Park while I'm there. Any other sites to see (in the area)?

I'll have to Google the locations to see how close these locations are to each other.

OK, sounds like some interest in doing this. I'll start the process, and talk to the Commander about it, getting the clearance for us to drive our own cars thru to look at the boneyard.

Now, alot of what we'll drive on will be dirt, is that a problem for anyone?

I will find out what parts we can drive to, and make a map for everyone.

Is there interest for any other part of Tucson? Just let me know, I'll make it happen, hotels, motels, stay right on the base if I can get rooms?

I'm thinking this is gonna be a blast.

Tank :cool:

Tank,
Just a tip from a guy who has organised 4 of these. With such a distance involved, you need to plan and set it up at LEAST 6 months ahead. The further ahead, the more cars. No matter what date you pick, guys won't make it, or it will just conflict with other items. I would shoot for the fall at this time. B2B

B2B, thanks for the heads up, I've done alot of this kinda planning before. I've done car shows, poker runs, a weekend run to Death Valley, etc.
I'm just a tool that the forum can use to set this up, you folks tell me when you can make it. I'll take the most common date and we'll proceed from there.
You just can't please everybody, I stopped trying to over 30 years ago. Don't think I'm getting a bad attitude, I'm not. I'm a very up front person, and speak my mind. Kinda hard to put feelings into typed words, so I'm serious when I tell you guys that I'd like to do something. I will make it happen, to the best of my ability, within the parameters that I have to work with.

BBShark, April 18th is a car show in Sierra Vista. I'm trying to get my 69 back together to make it, looks good that I will. If you'd like to visit here, we'd welcome you here, well, we'll be in Sierra Vista that Fri. night and Sat. until 4 or 5 o'clock that afternoon. But if we fit into your plans somehow, hell we're always having a fire or a BBQ or just hanging out in the garage having an adult cold beverage. Let me know.

Check sierravistacarclub.org for their website.

Tank

I need to be in Phoenix Saturday night (the 18th), maybe I need to fly into Tucson earlier and out of Phoenix on the 19th.

I went to the Sierra Vista website and also spotted a Corvette club autocross that is on April 18-19. That might be worth seeing. I'll have to check and see if I could get to Phoenix from Seirra Vista by 7PM.

From my house to Phoenix airport is almost 3 hrs., and Sierra Vista is about an hour and 15 mins., or so.
If you'd like to do that, I think we're planning on leaving my house (east side of Tucson) around 3:30 o'clock, or so.
I will give you my cell phone and my truck #'s is you'd like!! Hey this may be fun.
Wish I could get to my friends list on brand x forum, there's a friend that lives in Tucson that might wanna go with us to the show. Damn brand X mod's!!!!