What I've been doing with my time

SuperBuickGuy

While waiting for parts for my C3...

I built this

From this
PA290002_zps8a91288d.jpg

It's a 1991 CR500 motor in a 2004 CRF 250 frame called CR500af

and beside now being a dirt bike that has twice the hp, 3x the rpm range, and less weight.... you also do this with it
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...zcErqobafn-PEE

a '91 CR 500 was rated at what? 60HP at 13000 rpm ???

I have a '95 KLX650 4 stroke..... probably twice the weight of your CR but half the rpm range.... still rated at healthy 50 HP ... used to run it on the street, got the bigger tank and lights and turn signals, it's 18 years old with only 6000 miles ..... need to get it registered and back on the road, it's been sitting for the past ten years..... still looks like new....

IM002058.jpg

a '91 CR 500 was rated at what? 60HP at 13000 rpm ???

I have a '95 KLX650 4 stroke..... probably twice the weight of your CR but half the rpm range.... still rated at healthy 50 HP ... used to run it on the street, got the bigger tank and lights and turn signals, it's 18 years old with only 6000 miles ..... need to get it registered and back on the road, it's been sitting for the past ten years..... still looks like new....

IM002058.jpg

nice bike, if you were closer, a friend of mine would be really interested in it

nice bike, if you were closer, a friend of mine would be really interested in it

I bought it brand new in '95..... always wanted to do this super moto deal with it..... unless I get a offer that is stupid money I'm not going to sell it.... it used to reside on my patio, then I got tired of having to clean it every few months... it's in my spare bedroom since 2009..... :lol::lol:

damn, I really need to get it street legal here....

I bought it brand new in '95..... always wanted to do this super moto deal with it..... unless I get a offer that is stupid money I'm not going to sell it.... it used to reside on my patio, then I got tired of having to clean it every few months... it's in my spare bedroom since 2009..... :lol::lol:

damn, I really need to get it street legal here....

How you going to clean the carpet......:hijack::spit:

eventually I'll try super moto with it; but I'm honest about my lack of motorcycle skills - especially street ones - so it'll be more about track days and just running it for the fun of it.

So here we go
crf250 frame

cut

test fit x 100

fit radiators

build new airbox

melt gas tank

today's task - weld this together

- I deviated from the conversion plan with the head - I don't want to lose that much tank capacity, so I'm relocating the water outlet....

if all goes well, it should be running by Sunday (I need a tank seal)

birds of a feather here.. That is a cool project... we stuff RG500 suzuki motors in rgv250 chassis and RZ500 motors in TZR250 chassis too...

My old race bike turned track days and street fun... I have a new CNC upper cylinder case that mounts 4 TZ250 4DP cylinders...

right now its 110 HP at the rear wheel on a dynojet 150.. the new cylinders should get me closer to 160-170HP at the rear wheel.. 319 LBS full of fuel...

thum_1652bb13c2950da.jpg

see the rest at: https://plus.google.com/photos/113725834400702154269/albums/5116530909927754481?banner=pwa

Last edited:
birds of a feather here.. That is a cool project... we stuff RG500 suzuki motors in rgv250 chassis and RZ500 motors in TZR250 chassis too...

My old race bike turned track days and street fun... I have a new CNC upper cylinder case that mounts 4 TZ250 4DP cylinders...

right now its 110 HP at the rear wheel on a dynojet 150.. the new cylinders should get me closer to 160-170HP at the rear wheel.. 319 LBS full of fuel...

thum_1652bb13c2950da.jpg

see the rest at: https://plus.google.com/photos/113725834400702154269/albums/5116530909927754481?banner=pwa

dang, that's brutal - how in the world do you hang on?
still, that hits all levels of awesome :thumbs::loveletter:

pretty much done - I have to get a fuel line and fuel... fuel line tomorrow; fuel - whenever I can get to a snowmobile or dirt bike dealership (no swill plus mix for this bike)
First, a top view (since I had the tank off to mount the lines

and a completed bike

As with any dirtbike, be liberal with the Loctite. My old CR500 was a vibrating beast, even with the rubber mounted handlebars arm pump was a regular occurrence. In the end I sold it to someone that wanted to convert it into a road racer and I bought an old Interceptor 500 and started riding on the street. Have fun! :)

As with any dirtbike, be liberal with the Loctite. My old CR500 was a vibrating beast, even with the rubber mounted handlebars arm pump was a regular occurrence. In the end I sold it to someone that wanted to convert it into a road racer and I bought an old Interceptor 500 and started riding on the street. Have fun! :)

I'll find out if my suspicion is true or not very soon - but the aluminum should act as a damper for some of the vibrations... loctite and nylock nuts are on anything that can rattle (meaning, everything).

I'll find out if my suspicion is true or not very soon - but the aluminum should act as a damper for some of the vibrations... loctite and nylock nuts are on anything that can rattle (meaning, everything).

:nuts: Including the rider in MY case.....George Washington built the GW Canal that basically parallels the Potomac river up to W. Va. at least, and so there is a parallel running towpath for the mules/horses/draft animal towing the barges....

SO of course, growing older in the region for 53 years total, I had the opportunity to drive a buddy's Yamaha 175? on the towpath which of course was legal decades ago....so I speed off like only a kid would do, and hit a large ~6" deep mud puddle at like 30+mph.....OVER I went, and so my buddy swears a geyser reached the tree limbs, he runs up to see WTF, and I was more or less recovering, right side buried in muck and mire, and slime and a freeking SPIDER about 2" from my nose.....though it was large as my hand, but NO, after PHREAKING OUT....I realized it back to realistic size....

at any rate it was garden hose time, and a huge amount of laughter.....

:nuts::clobbered:

I-205 was being built when I was growing up in Oregon City, Oregon - the freeway had started south, and had made it to Oregon City, but no further north. My brother and I both had Honda 50 trail bikes and rode all over it - until we got chased away by the police..... and yeah, we ditched them (though, in retrospect, I think the cops were having a huge amount of fun "chasing" us up the dirt right-of-way)

I-205 was being built when I was growing up in Oregon City, Oregon - the freeway had started south, and had made it to Oregon City, but no further north. My brother and I both had Honda 50 trail bikes and rode all over it - until we got chased away by the police..... and yeah, we ditched them (though, in retrospect, I think the cops were having a huge amount of fun "chasing" us up the dirt right-of-way)

I 495, the DC Beltway loops around the entire town, built in the early 60's was nothing but a mystery road, and used as a dragstrip by many guys....

can't even get ON the damn thing now, at 3 AM, total gridlock....When wife and I were dating, she being a native Florida gal, never been to DC, we ride up to show her the town, we on I 95 heading north, get to Fredricksburg Va. where the little 2 lane road turn into 3-4 lanes each way, her eyes get larger, I"m cruising left lane at 80 mph and the other lanes are bumper/bumper doing the basketweave at every interchange, she turns white as a ghost, ME, Hell, I"m used to it,

she had never been on a subway, PHREAK OUT TIME....Red Line through Montgomery County from Rockville into center of DC....

but our first stop was Arlington, National Cemetery, changing of the guard....

then we did the usual tourist stuff.....

on the way back, I asked what was the most impressive thing she saw on the week long excursion.....she immediately relied, 'Arlington'....

This was in '98 when we still dating, so before 9/11 and so we could actually see the town, I dunno what it is today....

The cr500 is a vibrating sob. No couterbalance in the motor iirc. I miss the '97 i had.. had to sell it to finance a move. I have a 2006 rmz450 now and its fun but not brutal cr500 fun.

I honestly can't wait to twist the throttle on it. Carb is being rebuilt and re-jetted (it actually costs less to take it to a shop than to buy the two kits)... and making sure I didn't pull any bonehead moves in the build.

Once it gets back, let the good vibes begin :)

I bought mine when my brother worked at the local dealer and told me I had to come ride it.. it scared the hell out of me and that's when I knew I had to have it. They're frickin awesome.. you'll be bogging the motor out of a berm and it's on one wheel, roosting, and you're doing your best to hang on. I also liked ripping funny car rolling burnouts up the alley behind the house. Much fun.

Picture027.jpg

Plus you can see my old cherokee in the background.. I miss that turd, too.

Loud, vibrates, stinky... in short, perfect. Ride Honda got it running (weak spark) and gave it the required off-road inspection (we don't inspect cars for roadworthiness, but we inspect dirt bikes - go figure). Once I get a good chance of riding it, I'll post a picture of the day.... oh wait, I've looked into the future and found a picture of the day.

full-body-cast-300x242.jpg