Video 1970 Corvette WINS Vintage Race at Limerock

Geoff Coenen

Video Only = [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7JJ2EalJ8U[/ame]

There were 7 Old Vettes racing last week in 5 events including practice & qualifying. That's 60 laps of Corvettes racing on the 1.5 mile road racing track. As usual Jim Glass of Kingston, NY brought his 1965 Red convertible & was parked with several other vintage race Corvettes in the grassy paddock near the driving school. I call that Corvette corner, because that's where the Corvettes always have their set up. Regretfully Jim had engine problems in the 2nd practice & retired rather than risk engine damage.

Also racing: 63 Black coupe (originally FI) #631 driven by Doug Hatch, 1964 Blue Convertible #7 driven by Tony Carpanzano, 66 Navy convertible #4 driven by Bill Bogner, 67 Red convertible #20 driven by Al DeBonis. Can you believe it: every year mid year on the track racing: 63, 64, 65, 66, 67! I don't even remember that from mid to late 60's when I attended Watkins Glen & Bridgehampton & these old girls were just new.

Joe Foglia in a Navy 1969 coupe with L88 motivation also had some mechanical problem, but he left the track early, so I did not get to meet him. I've known Jim Glass for near 30 years and he introduced me to another Corvette racer, Mark Ferrara. We hit it off great & Mark had the hot shoe in the final race. His 1970 convertible 355 ci won against some pretty stiff competition to take home the trophy. If you know Limerock, the 3 Donovan prepared Silver XKE's are supposedly ex factory race models (?) and those racers are A type competitive as was the Red Pantera racer, but a few of them spun, slid on the track. Mark was fast last year & this year he brought home his Red, White & Blue 1970 Corvette in first.

In the last race, the #61 Donovan jag went from last (dnf the previous race) to 2nd or 3rd. But their Red hash marks were dripping. :D They were in shock & awe as were all the 911's. :D A lowly Corvette beats all those expensive exotic superior foreign imports & wins at the LimeRock! I loved every minute of it.

Congratulations Mark.

Blog Story = http://www.oosoez.com/curr-evnt/currentevents-154.html

I forwarded this off to a olde tyme racing buddy of mine, Larry is a retarred cop from DC region.....some of his recollections....

I think I saw that Vette at Carlisle last year. Lime Rock is Skipper's favorite track; I've been there just once, two years ago. It has great spectator viewing, and the video was shot in two places where I spent a lot of time. The only downsides are that the DB restrictions are severe and there is no racing allowed on Sundays; consequently, many events have to run on Friday, Saturday, and Monday.

It always saddens me to hear "The Bridge" [Bridgehampton] mentioned in a story; this was one of my favorite tracks, and it had a long storied past dating back into the 50s. I raced there several times in the late 80s and early 90s, and I believe I may have broken the SCCA ITC record for that track when Anna and I attended a private three-day event there around 1988. Now the track is a damned golf course....

Yeh, so the nutless wonders can go play.....:crap:

build houses all around the track then bitch over the noise, just like shooting ranges.....was my reply....

Last edited: