TH350 lockup or not

GT6Steve

With the premise that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....

I followed a thread last week and discovered my car has the FE7 option. That in itself was interesting but it lead to a search for MVMA specs where I learnt many intersting details of my car.

One being that my trans, TH350?, is supposed to have a lockup in 2 and 3.

I immediately suspected I don't have it and started further research. Now I am sure mines not working.

So the first question is "DO I CARE?" car runs great, mileage sux but that might be a right foot problem.

I've got a bad streak in me that makes me want to make it work. I get burnt by that a lot.

Whatd'ya think? Is it worth pursuing this issue?

Thanx, Steve

For maybe one or two years the 350 trans came with a lockup feature for the torque converter, AFAIK it was only in 3rd gear.....behaving like the overdrive units of later generations.....

I say this because I THINK the vettes only had lockup 350 trans in '81 and it was a 350C as I recall....

BUT on any car of this age, someone could have swapped in another trans and so who knows what.....much less what type of trans they swapped in....

you can go to a trans rebuild site, maybe even a parts house and find the footprint of the trans pan/gasket, that maybe tell you what was done....and sorry I dunno if any pan variations between plain unlocked 350 and the odd variation of 350C .......

:surrender:

I'm now pretty confident I don't have the lockup. I'll jack it up and start looking for wires next Friday...:crutches: