Stage Ii Is A Go

7t9l82

this years project is suspension up grades i called VBP today and ordered the mounting hardware for my 360# rear composite spring, the 550 # front coils and various mounting parts .
i was planning on going with the bilstien shocks but they have been on backorder for months and no idea when they would come in. the consensus was the KYB shocks aren't correct for that rear spring. SO, VBP offered me a screaming deal ( and i mean screaming ) on the QA-1 shocks, needless to say i am very happy with VBP and i am anxious to get this stuff installed next week. they went out of their way to help out and answered all my questions. i believe for the money spent i will have a much better handling car.:thumbs:

My only comment is that the Billsteins are a much improved upgrade over the KYB's I used to have, NOW my ass rides soft over the crappy roads and don't kill my neck.....

the nice thing about QA-1 shocks is they are easily adjustable, so if i go on the interstate i can soften them up and if i go to the mountains i can firm them up a bit. i would have been well pleased with bilstiens but i am excited about these.

shoot.... I just took the 550lbs coils off my '79 .... these go in the for sale section soon.... damn, I could have given you a even better deal on the coil springs....
Anyways, don't waste your time on the KYB shocks, it's Bilstein or Koni..... you need a good shock to control the 550lbs coil springs
no idea if the QA1 stuff works well - curious to hear your feedback.... :thumbs:

shoot.... I just took the 550lbs coils off my '79 .... these go in the for sale section soon.... damn, I could have given you a even better deal on the coil springs....
Anyways, don't waste your time on the KYB shocks, it's Bilstein or Koni..... you need a good shock to control the 550lbs coil springs
no idea if the QA1 stuff works well - curious to hear your feedback.... :thumbs:

do you have Koni's ? If so at what setting are they ?

everyone I've spoken too say the QA-1 shocks are lightyears beyond bilstien and are adjustable and rebuildable plus they are aluminum body shocks i talked to an SCCA racer and he took off konis and went QA-1 because the fast guys are switching to them. plus they are made in Minneesootaa. i will be able to set the fronts on 1 and drag race with them , feedback is guaranteed .

everyone I've spoken too say the QA-1 shocks are lightyears beyond bilstien and are adjustable and rebuildable plus they are aluminum body shocks i talked to an SCCA racer and he took off konis and went QA-1 because the fast guys are switching to them. plus they are made in Minneesootaa. i will be able to set the fronts on 1 and drag race with them , feedback is guaranteed .

yeah great..... now I see myself wanting a set of these too ...... :smash::smash::smash:

i will be interested in how you like your new front spring, it has to reduce the unsprung weight which can't hurt.

Dual adjust QA-1s - right?
Mine are sitting on the shelf - waiting for me to finish the rest of the car.

Feedback on them once installed please.

Cheers - Jim

O.K 550 lb front springs are in one of the factory springs was broken. new sway bar links installed , new 360 lb rear spring and hardware installed along with new half shafts and new qa1 shocks. the car rides and handles lightyears better. less lean in a turn , i was expecting a harsh ride but that is not the case. over all i am thrilled with qa1 and VBP both outstanding companies i will do business with again. i cut the front spring 3/4 of a coil and the front end sits lower. last year i installed aluminum heads and radiator that caused the front to sit very high. glad it is not in orbit anymore

Last edited:
IMG_20140525_135122595.jpg

i dont know if you can see how much the front end dropped but it was 29 inches at the top of the wheel well and is now 26 1/2 . that was using the 550 pound spring triming 3/4 of a coil. this is exactly what i was after.

I think the 550 lb front springs and 360 lb rear springs on my 68 are way too stiff. But this was originally a very light car. I think the assembly manual shows the 68 convertibles as weighing 3050 pounds. From the factory, this is with an engine that is all cast iron. i have a ZZ4 in the car...aluminum heads, manifold. ministarter, aluminium radiator, etc. I wish now I'd bought some softer suspension parts. My car is just too light for these spring rates.

I have the same springs in my BB 70 project car. It'll be a lot heavier than the 68 so maybe the spring stiffness will be more reasonable.

o.k. I've driven the combination around a good bit and between the spreader bar and springs and the new shocks this thing exceeds all my expectations . the ride is nice and not harsh , but surefooted. it takes bumps and doesnt shake the car. it is very much like driving a modern new car. it is a complete transformation, i can see after the A/C gets fixed and an overdrive trans installed being able to take some nice trips in it. i think this car will be lots of fun touring the tail of the dragon ( which i have done on 2 wheels) and the skyline drive in Virginia. now to save up for stage III