S10 Radiator?

73c34me

Need a low buck radiator for my 73, 383. I have a new 4.3i chev. s10 aluminum I can use, would this cool enough for limited use?

Need a low buck radiator for my 73, 383. I have a new 4.3i chev. s10 aluminum I can use, would this cool enough for limited use?

I used a 3/4 ton chevy van radiator in my 82. the single pass aluminum radiators will cool as good as any 3 row brass radiator.

I've been looking for some simple "metrics" - or rules of thumb to help me pick a radiator. here's a piece I got from of all places a Light Aircraft Forum:
RAVEN 500 aircraft Requirement: Minimum of 3.0 cu in of cooling volume per HP produced.
For example: We only utilize up to 300 HP of an LS1 for aircraft use. Using a dual radiator configuration with two radiators measuring 15" x 18" x 2.25" thick = the total cooling volume is 1215 cu in.

Therefore, our cooling volume to HP ratio: 1215 cu in cooling volume ÷ 300 HP = 4.05 cu in per HP. With this formula, we have been able to maintain climb out temperatures of around 200°F and 190°F at cruise on a 100°F day.
With a cooling system like this, we could taxi from Houston to Dallas with no overheating problems.

Considering the loads and temps they outline - and an LS1 engine - maybe some info you can use there? Measure and compare I'd say!
I've seen the 3 cu in per HP elsewhere too.

Cheers - Jim

As I RECALL, the rad in my '72 is a '89 Camaro V8 alum/plastic thing same size core but thinnner, and single row...even in Florida it cools nice with dual Spals on it....with stock shroud and a '87 vette fan all fitted up tight, it was marginal....350 roller engine....

food for thoughts: the F-body 1998-2002 radiators are the same for the Ls1 and the 3.8V6, that V6 is the same as the 4.3V6 as far i know just a shorter stroke.
so if the LS1 can live with that size radiator in a car that has horrible airflow across the radiator (bottom feeder, relies on air dam, same as our Vettes) then I'd think that radiator is good enough for a Chevy SB.....

I run a cheap aluminum radiator and the crappy stock fan in Florida het and my 383 is running cool.....

I'd definitely use the radiator you already have, to be safe keep an eye on the temp gauge but i wouldn't expect any issues.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the metrix. I believe I may give the S10 rad a try. My 4 core copper was badly damaged while stored in a corner buying a high dollar one is not in the immediate future...