Poweer steering Questions

68RAT

I've recently installed a new power steering conversion kit. The front end has been completely rebuilt with all new parts. The rag joint looks good but I will post a picture if necessary.

I have the control valve balanced but the steering is still not as easy as I thought it might be. (can't turn it with one finger)

I find on some corners (usually hard ones when i'm pushing it a little) the power steering will pulse with effort to a real easy turn then back to what it was before. This of course causes the car to turn sharper for a 1/4 second as the steering wheel will turn sharper because I am really cranking it in the corner. Besides scaring the $hit out of me it is dangerous.

Question 1. Should I be able to turn it with 1 finger?
Question 2. What is causing the pulsing in corners?

What do I do to address both of these problems? I've done a search but can't find anything that really helps.

68RAT

is this a one time driving experience, or been like this for several trips over a couple days??? I found any time I have PS systems open they tend to foam up fluid, and the old '72 system was like that real bad....once all the bubbles settle out it's smooth, mine was anyway....

make sure you have full fluid, obviously....

turn the wheels one way fully then opposite fully

lettice no....

:smash::thumbs:

Yep. Pulsing is air. Jack up the front, start, turn lock to lock, and shut off. Repeat once an hour till it smooths out.

When it pulses like that the belt can be loose too. Sometimes they need to be a bit unreasonably tight.

I can't turn mine with 1 finger. I'm sure the wider tires don't help, but I don't think the power steering was ever a 1 finger deal.
I also agree with air in the lines and possible belt slippage--loose or glazed or oily.