New oil pump and pan

MYBAD79

Since I needed to start another project like I need a hole in my head...... I decided to drop the oil pan and swap the pan and pump.... The '79 is sitting on jackstands once again, the steering is already dropped, the pan will be down soon. When the pan is removed I'll have a good look at the bearings, don't think there's anything wrong but I have this "fluff" on my magnetic drain plug that must be coming from somewhere inside the engine, well, different thread fo that topic.....
Ok, here's what's going in: Milodon 7qt pan and a Melling 10552 pump with 10% extra volume. I currently run the MV55 HV that deliveres 25% extra so we'll see if and how this improves things.....

photo_zps7c851dc9.jpg

You will love that pan and pump. Excellent quality

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P5110 met Tapatalk

You will love that pan and pump.

I hope so, the pan that I just pulled today is excellent too.... I'll put it in the for sale section, it's a stock style pan with internal trap door and baffle, heavy gauge steel unlike the cheaper pans...

Ok, made some progress and pulled the steering linkage out. I have a feeling I'll be putting a rack in while I have it on the jackstands.....

photo_zps5aeb3316.jpg

Pulled the pan: everything looks great in there except the sludge at the bottom of the pan. I am convinced this sludge is the assembly moly lube that is trapped at the bottom of the pan and under the baffle. I never got it out with simple oil changes, we'll see how the oil and the magnetic plug looks at the next oil change.

photo_zpsc97c2055.jpg

Here's the pan. I took the photo after I wiped the sludge but you can still see a little bit in the front corner

photo_zps93990acb.jpg

Nice work.

Are you feeling brave enough to pull one of the road caps to inspect the bearing surface? :)

One happy island......

When I was down there in 2008 I grabbed a few plates at the souvenir store :D

WHAT do you know about MY chances of getting legal with that ARUBA plate???

I would have to give up my Florida Antique plate, but THAT is maybe just toooooo cool.....

IF anything, it's a MUST have for the collection....MON....

:cool::cool::loveletter:

One happy island......

I would have to give up my Florida Antique plate, but THAT is maybe just toooooo cool.....

Legal ??? Why give up the antique plate ??

As far as I know you can put anything on the front here in FL..... :cool:

Nice work.

Are you feeling brave enough to pull one of the road caps to inspect the bearing surface? :)

Pulled a main cap to inspect the bearing, fortunately it seems to be in good shape.... The engine runs fine without any strange noises so I had really no reason to believe the bearings are bad but just for piece of mind I pulled one ....

photo_zps876a7ae8.jpg
photo_zps1f76fa1c.jpg

One happy island......

Legal ??? Why give up the antique plate ??

As far as I know you can put anything on the front here in FL..... :cool:

Not that I am any kind of an expert but I'd say your bearings look good!

As an aside, on the front license plate thing... I sold a car to a friend's brother here in NJ. A few months later I get a call from the cops, "do you own this car?" I explain it was sold then ask why.... The officer told me that the new owner was driving with Pa. tags on the car, one on front, one on back....
Pa. only issues one tag...
Jersey gets two.
So he had two different bogus Pa. tags on the car and was driving it in Jersey.
:lol:

WRONG friggin pickup !!!!!!

The pan is 8 1/4" deep (Milodon 30902), the pump is a Melling 10552 with a 3/4" pickup, both press fit or bolt on style.... the pickup I ordered is a Milodon 18301 and it points to the back of the pump, no way it would ever fit.... it is listed for SB/BB and pan depth 8 1/2"....

So I call Summit and for the first time I/m not too happy with their tech support: they claim there is no pickup available for the 10552 pump because the pickup hole is in a different location than all other pumps.... well, I have both the 10552 and the M55HV sitting right in front of me and the difference on the pickup location is maybe 1/8" further down on the 10552 because of the longer gears and the longer housing....

Summit dude tells me to call Milodon tech support.....

Milodon tech guy says they don't make a pickup for that pump.... bummer....

OK, next I start a Google search on "10552 melling and pickup" ... I find that Canton 20-081 fits the 10552 pump and a 8 1/4" pan....

now i search Google for "20-081 pickup" and guess what: first website that comes up is friggin Summit.....

wtf ????

order placed, pickup should be here Friday.... :smash::smash:

Here is the same pump.
Here is a pickup that should work, but I don't remember what it is or where I got it. It fit the stock 7-1/4" deep pan.
I used a 7 qt winged pan that is also 7-1/4" deep.
That pump almosts hit the bottom of the pan.

3M10555.jpg

7Deep7Qt2.jpg

Mel10555.jpg

That looks like the stock BB pickup, perfect fit for a stock 7" or 7 1/4" deep pan. I know I could simply bend it a little to get 1/2" clearance to the bottom of the 8 1/4" pan but since these are moderately priced I went with the shiny gold pickup from Canton.... :waxer:

Fits like a glove: I installed the pump, then taped a loosely crushed ball of aluminum foil to the bottom of the pickup screen, pushed the pan in place against the gasket, pulled it back down and the aluminum foil ball was crushed to about 1/2" thickness.....

The M55HV pump is in the box, note how big the gear housing of this 10552 pump is...also note how much "meat" there is at the neck where the bolt-hole is located ...

photo_zps956aa6f5.jpg

That looks like the stock BB pickup, perfect fit for a stock 7" or 7 1/4" deep pan. I know I could simply bend it a little to get 1/2" clearance to the bottom of the 8 1/4" pan but since these are moderately priced I went with the shiny gold pickup from Canton.... :waxer:

Fits like a glove: I installed the pump, then taped a loosely crushed ball of aluminum foil to the bottom of the pickup screen, pushed the pan in place against the gasket, pulled it back down and the aluminum foil ball was crushed to about 1/2" thickness.....

The M55HV pump is in the box, note how big the gear housing of this 10552 pump is...also note how much "meat" there is at the neck where the bolt-hole is located ...

photo_zps956aa6f5.jpg

Let me know how that HV pump works on high rpm in your application.

Let me know how that HV pump works on high rpm in your application.

The HV pump is the one I removed, advertised at 25% extra volume. It worked perfectly fine, with cold oil however I had like 40-50psi at idle and 75 psi at 2000-2500rpm.... seemed a little high..... with warm oil everything was good, 10-20psi at idle, 50-55 psi cruising.....

The reason for me buying the HV pump was never the extra pressure or volume - the stock pump has a much weaker body or "neck" - there is quiet a bit of info all over the net, there's a thread here at VM with pictures... I wanted the stronger housing

I assume you're asking because of your oil pressure drop at higher rpm - I never noticed anything like that with this pump.

The new pump going in is advertised at 10% extra volume so we shall see how that affects the pressure at idle with cold oil....

IMO no need for a HV pump unless you have a bleed off like a turbocharer or an oil fed SC (that's the only reason I use them)

Marck, I'll re-post the photos if I find them.... The body of the regular Melling pump (stock replacement) is pathetic !!! I'd be scared using that thing.

Here we go, found it.... Copied from another thread here

The standard Melling has a weak casting - from what I read back in 2007 they changed the design and made it weaker on the standard pump only. The HV pump is way stronger....

2006.jpg
Dynageardm55a.jpg
here's the HV pump I bought:

100_1955Small.jpg
see how much thicker the material is.....

100_1956Small.jpg

here's another ugly photo I found... looks like a standard pump and maybe that bolt was a little too tight ?????

4new-m55-lessthanseason.jpg

Last edited: