How many use protection?

How many of you use gloves while wrenching

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maymyvetteliveforever

Was talking to a friend yesterday after finishing work on my DD and he says, "how can you work on cars with gloves on"? I started wearing gloves about 15 years ago and now I can't go without them. Mind you they can't be bulky and have to fit right but that made me wonder, am I alone is this since my friend says he tried a couple time and just can't wear gloves while working, since he says it's clumsy.

EDIT:

I'll even accept the thin rubber type gloves as "gloves"

Last edited:
I been playing with mechanical shit, and construction shit, for some 50 years now....electronics also....

so far I suffer no ill affects from anything, that I know of....:hissyfit::shocking:

others may have a different opinion, but we know which end THAT comes from too.....

I have never worn gloves, but lately I am wearing a dust filter mask when in heavy dust/spray paint use....and stand upwind of any paint spraying....or use a fan....

:hissyfit:

I've tried wearing them several times but can't get used to it. The vinyl ones cause my hands to sweat and the cloth ones just seem clumbersome.

I prefer to use gloves as often as I can. When I need to feel some detail, then I won't. I wear gloves mostly to keep the grease off of my hands so I can use my cell phone, pet the dogs, and open house doors without having to wash my hands first. I also use the cloth/leather type.

I like these Mechanix gloves, they are not cheap but they're not clumsy and don't make your hands sweat.
214aa91883e1d88.jpg

I like these Mechanix gloves, they are not cheap but they're not clumsy and don't make your hands sweat.
214aa91883e1d88.jpg

I've been thinking of trying these so far I use latex glove for changing oil and when I'm painting but have yet to find a glove that I can keep on while I working on the cars

You Bet! The Mechanix style when doing the "nuckle-busting" work, and ALWAYS the blue Nytrile when using resins, cleaners, and chemicals.

And no acetone for skin -- use the Green/Orange Citrus cleaners!

Full body suit to sweat in (sorry perspire...) and mask and safety glasses or "plastic" face mask when working with the - volitiles, sanding, or grinding. Don't know about yours, but my body parts only came with a lifetime warranty!

Cheers - Jim

I wear throw away gloves most of the time but more to keep my hands clean than for any other reason. I tend to only be able to work on the car for short periods of time and the gloves allow me to do more because I'm not having to wash up all the time.

I use the mechanix gloves when I'm doing heavy type wrentching, rubber type gloves when using chemical/grease. I don't use gloves when I'm doing simple type tuning items(carb, dist., etc.)

I really like the Mechanix type gloves but didn't realize till last year that they come in about 4-6 different types, eg. impact etc. I find them expensive though so I usually wait untill they go on sale (1/2 price) and find that I can wash them in case they get really greasy. I also use the latex/neoprene gloves when I'm need to really feel what I'm touching and in dirty/greasy situation.

Let me tell ya, my wife has noticed the difference ever since I started wearing gloves.

PS. not everyone that's posted has added themselves to the poll, now get to it.....

I've been thinking of trying these so far I use latex glove for changing oil and when I'm painting but have yet to find a glove that I can keep on while I working on the cars

I think HomeDepot has the best deal on these , $17.99 or so.... they had a "buy one get one" special not too long ago.
I don't think you'll regret buying these :D

I think HomeDepot has the best deal on these , $17.99 or so.... they had a "buy one get one" special not too long ago.
I don't think you'll regret buying these :D

Weekly flyers show them on sale for %40 off, going to check them out tomorrow

I bought the first pair in 2005 and I still have those with minor holes :toothbrush::toothbrush::toothbrush:

Even if these only last one year, $20 a year is a good deal for what these gloves do for you.

Gosh, I sound like a sales guy....:ill:

I have never worn them, I can't imagine wearing gloves it seems that they would get in the way. I know, I'm a dinosaur [standard excuse]. I guess I should try them.

I thought the same thing 'til a friend gave me a pair. I use them when ever I have a real Knuckle buster to do. Not that bad to use, saves on skin and bandages. :thumbs:

I use the mechanix gloves when I'm doing heavy type wrentching, rubber type gloves when using chemical/grease. I don't use gloves when I'm doing simple type tuning items(carb, dist., etc.)
Same here. I use the JEGS version of the Mechanix gloves at home and at work. My work ones cop a flogging but I wash them and they last about a year. I use nitrile gloves for anything else and they have textured fingertips so they aren't actually too bad for doing smaller stuff.

I never used to wear gloves but a few years ago I started developing some little dry spots on my hands. They got worse and worse and when I eventually went to the doctor, I found out I had contact dermatitus from years of contact with hydrocarbons (fuel and oil). That is one seriously cruel affliction when you're a mechanic and work with your hands. The skin gets like paper and can just split when you're using tools etc and the cracks are deep enough to bleed freely. You soon get used to wearing gloves, I can assure you.

One odd thing though. Since I gave up smoking, my dermatitus has cleared up a hell of a lot. Weird...

When I lived in Nashville I work in a Mercedes Benz garage and they bought nitrate gloves for us. It was actually very nice once you got used to them and your hands always looked good for hot dates. I got away from wearing them once I moved back up hear. But now that I don't turn wrenches for a living anymore I found that I am wearing them at home when working in the garage. Especially now that I am an EMT and working on getting my RN. Got to keep the hands looking clean.

I do wear the mechanics gloves a lot when there is a chance for busting my knuckles or when I am working with sheet metal. leaves the right about of feeling without the cuts.

As a side not someone mentioned latex gloves. I am not sure how true it is but we were warned in EMT class that after wearing latex gloves for a long period of time (years) you could produce a latex allergy. Like I said I don't know how true it is but I am not taking any chances because I don't want to be allergic to latex when it comes time to bring that hotti home from the bar.

...As a side not someone mentioned latex gloves. I am not sure how true it is but we were warned in EMT class that after wearing latex gloves for a long period of time (years) you could produce a latex allergy. Like I said I don't know how true it is but I am not taking any chances because I don't want to be allergic to latex when it comes time to bring that hotti home from the bar.
Yes, you can develop an allergy to latex, or you may already be allergic to latex. However, latex gloves are great for a doctor to stick his finger up your bum but lousy against grease and oil. In my experience, latex gloves turn to shit not long after coming into contact with fuel or oils etc. Latex surgical gloves, that is...

However, latex gloves turn to shit not long after coming into contact with a doctor who sticks his finger up your bum ...

There I fixed it for ya' ..... :nuts::smash::smash:

I don't wear them as often as I should.....actually....rarely.
Probably wouldn't have all these scares that I do if I did.....Duh! :)

But I have had certain body fillers cause me to break out on my hands.
Had me baffled for the longest till I started comparing notes with some
of the other techs and found they were having the same issues.

We had been trying some other putties..."Dolphin Glaze" ...."Icing" and these
were determind to be causing the problems. When we switched back to
"Evercoat Metalglaze" the rash went away.

Just a heads up for any of you who might be experiencing any of these
symptoms.