Frame gussets and bracing

js292

I've been making the templets for my 71 to gusset the frame. I saw this on another forum awhile ago and thought it looked pretty cool. It looks like it would stiffin the frame up pretty good, but is it over kill. Just looking for opinions.

It reinforces critical areas that are known to crack or have other failures, particulary the lower control arm mounts.

Yes and even just an 8 point cage will totally transform your driving experience.

No more flexi flier... :yahoo:

That's skunkvettes car right? It would have helped more if the rear bars were aimed at the cneter, you can't do that for the fronts but on the rear ones it would have been possible to get it at least very close.

That's skunkvettes car right? It would have helped more if the rear bars were aimed at the cneter, you can't do that for the fronts but on the rear ones it would have been possible to get it at least very close.

Yeah, it his. I don't see why he bent the front tubes, it seems like it would be more ridged if he would have gone straight to the frame.

Because they are attached to where the frame kicks up. If you use straight sections you end up under the frame rail. To end up @ the frame rail the straight sections would have to end right under where the firewall meets the floor pan, then you would have to move the brake & fuel lines on both sides, it's a lot easier to do. It's also most likely stronger, the bend has less influence than the benefit of the bar going further forward.

Nice use of CAD - Cardboard Aided Design! There is another book - From the Ground Up.
I'll look for my digital copy - similar to the Power Book as I recall. It has been a while.
Cheers - Jim

the Chevy Power Book (one with the Corvette section) available on ebay has a section on strengthening the Corvette frame, every Corvette hot rodder should have one...