Data Acquisition - 5w+h

phantomjock

Thought it could be very useful to create a single thread for Data Acquisition (DAQ). I know there are several sites that focus soley on DAQ in a variety of mediums - but here of course we are interested in motorsports- specifically Corvettes.

This could be a good place to collect the 5Ws + H (not necessarily in any order):

Who
What
When
Where
Why
How

SuperBuickGuy is getting ready to jump in and I have messed around a bit and expect a few others - Pappy, and 69427 have most likely also. Sorry -- no offense if I unintentionally left someone out.

I tried to compare a number of possible solutions a few years back. When doing those types of comparisons my go-to is a whiteboard, post-ts and then a spreadsheet. I'll spare you all the first two, and offer the spreadsheet. I have loaded it in the Downloads Section. (BBShark - please load - Thanks!)

Also loaded is a PDF of a briefing converted into a PowerPoint/text document b a GM engineer, Frank A. Whitton. He offers a pretty comprehensive list of several sensors and sources to collect.

DAQ is for more than wow post race, but a chance to improve driver skill and tuning the car. But it can be overwhelming and seeming to offer too much information to process between sessions. Balancing what you need now for the next session, and what to use later can be a challenge unless you are blessed with a full team!

A young-fellow I've followed for a good while (since he first started) has started a web site that offers a bunch of free stuff and even some training and podcasts that are helpful- not only for DAQ, but also racecraft, race engineering, etc. His name is Samir, he has a background in sports psychology, and is a weekend racer too. You can find his site at https://www.yourdatadriven.com/

SO, this might be a good thread to add each of your thoughts, share some experience, what has/has not worked for you, etc.

Hope this finds some utility.

Cheers - Jim

Along the DIY path - the Arduino platform has a lot of promise as well.

The Spreadsheet - Data Acquisition Decision Matrix and the Data Acquisition paper are loaded and ready in the Downloads Section.
Loaded under Electrical and Wiring - seemed appropriate.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
I like the idea in superbuickguy's thread of using a gps GoPro. I looked at that software site but didn't see a price.

You can get a 30 day free trial or buy outright for 59 Pounds Sterling - the US price is comparable--say less than $100. I've always had good luck with the US rep.
https://www.race-technology.com/us/gopro

Not directly related - but some interesting software involved in this video -
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwhQW1FqgM[/ame]

That video sweep from front to rear - Holly-weird!
The opening shot showing the camera placement shows one low and another obviously on the upper bar. Hmmm...Like and have asked for details. Share when/if available.

Cheers - Jim

Intro to Race-Technology Go-Pro AnNalysis

Andy (aka Dr. Andrew Durrant) does a nice job going through the GoPro analysis integration with their software. Its about 20 minutes - but not too painful...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUTYGe_RFLE[/ame]

I have on my list of things to try - use my antique SmartyCam that has GPS and accelerometers, with the RT ver10. We'll see.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
Update from the Team at Race Technology.
There are some notes from our own extensive testing.

5 Black
6 Black
7 Silver - Works much better correct way up, poor data with heated screen
7 Black - Works much better correct way up, no data with heated screen
8 Black - Usable either way up, in cars with or without heated screen
9 Black - Usable either way up, in cars with or without heated screen, must use latest firmware early firmware had very poor GPS

Videos have to be standard rectangular profile, not 360-degree spherical videos.

Also note that its important to be running the latest firmware and that the camera doesn't shut itself off due to a low battery. Older camera firmware and a low battery is the most common cause of poor synchronisation (sic), our software unable to join or process files.

SO, if you are in the market for some lo-cost DAQ AND Video this is a neat pairing. And, if you then want to add more could upgrade to a full Race-Technology system - but now you are into one "BOAT" Buck (easily).
{hmm - BOAT - Break out Another Thousand - and similar for race cars?}

Bummer about the 360 video not "playing" with the software. THAT would have been THE ticket!

Cheers - Jim

Seems the Brits like to integrate video into data analysis and that is a good thing. Here is one I picked up a few years back and it is pretty neat - and real cheap.

By using the video as the main source of timing - you can streamline your post-session analysis. Where was I faster/slower? Was it me - or traffic that made the laptime change. We can always guess - or alabi -- but real proof is best and necessary to quicker laptimes.

It runs everything from the video only. Timing is the only measurement - no GPS - no track map - no g - just time. It allows you to compare laps with yourself - or another car too. With just video - you can use an older pre-GPS camera (or phone).

Cheap as "chips" for the full license (under $50). Just a satisfied user (aka DAQ-Junkie).

runviewsmall.jpg

http://www.tracknite.co.uk/nitepace/

Cheers - Jim